• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blackpowder pic's

Even though I have not dropped the hammer this season so far it has been a success,I helped my friend get his biggest buck of his life Sat night on one of the properties I hunt and my little hunting partner finally took her first deer with my Muzzle loader last night behind the house. It was a great weekend I could have shot a doe Sat morning at 7:10 but passed hoping it would go to the neighbor girl.

full-28877-14357-img_4231.jpg

full-28877-14358-img_4233.jpg

full-28877-14359-img_4225.jpg

He took this one Sat night around 4pm after he had dropped a doe he gave it a few minutes too calm down and started some hard loud grunting and this one and a 10 that was just a touch smaller came into 30 yards. This one had a slug hole in his neck from a grazing shot during slug season.

full-28877-14360-img_4235.jpg

full-28877-14361-img_4243.jpg

full-28877-14362-img_4237.jpg

I'm like a proud papa on this one, she is the neighbor girl that has been toughing it out with me the last 3 seasons of gun and one spring turkey season. I asked her if she would like to try blkpowder hunting with me and now we are glad she did. She dropped this big doe last night behind the house with a 60 yard heart shot,now she's hooked for life if you couldn't already tell by that smile.

Nice pics and one comment. The first picture appears the rifle is pointed right at the guy, just a little scary. I'm sure its unloaded, but to me that makes no difference, not a good practice.

I noticed that right away as well. Guns are always loaded, or at least thats the way I treat them.

Great pics though. Thats a nice looking buck. Hopefully the slug hole in the neck won't prevent a good mount.

Nice pics!!!

This is all I have to show for my efforts so far......... grin

I was up north of Winnie yesterday and got lucky and cut some fresh tracks. The deer were headed into the wind, so I crept along their trail for 150 yds or so and found 2 fresh piles of [PoorWordUsage] along the way.

Then I looked out across the meadow and about 130 yds was a big doe with another deer behind her, hidden by the brush and meadow grass. I hunched over and started walking towards the deer, keeping the clumps of buck brush in between me and the deer.

I got to 80yds and saw a sapling shaking pretty good and then the second deer raised his head and I saw it was a decent basket racked buck (6-8pts). I cocked my gun, raised, aimed, squeezed, and BOOM!

As the smoke cleared, I saw the 2 deer running away from me and then only saw one tail disappear into the balsams. Could it be???

After finding a narrow log to get across the small creek, I inspected the area where the deer had been standing and found this.

socloseu.jpg

No hair, no blood, only this poor sapling. I then followed their tracks for 50-60 yds just to confirm that I missed.

The buck had been standing on my side of this brush. I shot over it's back.

Back at it the next couple of days.

Brian

Had something happen to me on Sunday that wasnt planned. We did a drive and as predicted I had 3 deer come running out and they stopped at 40yrds and looked the other way. I pulled my gun up got lined up on the last biggest doe and started to squeeze trigger, and literally a milasecond before the gun went off the one doe in front of her spun on her hind legs and stood behind the one I was aiming for. The gun went off the back one dropped in her tracks and the front one ran 50yrds and tipped over dead. Now before anybody jumps on my case about knowing what ur shooting at or anything on animal blocking I can assure you 100% I would not have taken the shot knowing that was gonna happen(the other doe goin behind the one I was aiming for). I am just glad that both died quickly and that one didnt go wounded. full-2453-14656-twoforone.jpg

Hey 10 4 my man, things happen for strange reasons at times, with a 1 shot muzzy I've nearly had that happen myself, we're talking a split second or it maybe would've, if you had 2 doe tags you're more than good to go, I'll trade ya 20 pounds of buck steak for those backstraps smile !

Is it blackpowder pics or in-lines with pyrodex ? I'm nearly out of blackpowder, can a guy still find the original stuff as we bought this back before Ted (sp) Kazinsky days? Not to many pics guys, kinda mirrored the rifle season somewhat. Actually, did anyone hear any shots fly, I heard 2 this year and no way to tell if they were at deer or not.

I think Goex is being phased out. Do an internet search - "2010 Black Powder and BP Substitute Round-Up" by Randy Wakeman..

Was on the Track of the Wolf HSOforum, and they still have it though - sounds like it might be a good idea to stock up.... wink

There will always be those of us who want the real thing. No other powder ignites as easily as real black. It is consistent from shot to shot and the fouling is soft. Yes, you have to clean your gun when you are done shooting but you ought to do that with any powder.

It is a combination of the retailers trying to push the substitutes and some of the regulations the government has added that are making it harder to buy.

Quote:
It is a combination of the retailers trying to push the substitutes and some of the regulations the government has added that are making it harder to buy.

Yes, and Goex has been bought out by Hodgdon. And black powder is cheap, so it might be partly just a ploy to push the price up.

I have the kind of gun that lends itself to black powder, if you're blasting a thompson center black mountain magnum .50 cal you can't pipe pyrodex into that thing, you could, but there's something primitive and stinky about the cloud of smoke from the original and it puts that 370 grain maxiball dead on at 100yds. Have every confidence in it 3 bucks down with it and all were pass throughs and actually the smell of that burnt powder gives me a gutache lol so it's worth it! smile