• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what would do this

jabug

I had a similar experience a few years ago, only I was the one that killed the deer. I couldn't find much for a blood trail that night so I ended up coming back in the morning. Picked up good blood and ended up walking cirles around the deer a few times, it was completely coverd with leaves and grass. The hindquarters were eaten and a small portion in the front. Maybe a good thing I ended the night search or might have had more than I was expecting.

As for the neck I think that is how most predators go for the kill.

I would have to say cougar or bobcat as well, we have seen this also a few years back in the area we hunt in nw mn...that same year my brother and a couple of neighbors did spot a cougar in the area...as for bears, most of them should have been hibernating by the time deer season rolled around and they typicly don't prey on adult deer for the simple fact that they can't catch them...the most common time bears predate on deer is in the spring and that is mainly on newborn fawns...and perhaps some dead deer that didn't make the winter...as for cougars in mn...the dnr does acknoledge that they "move through or around" in mn...they just haven't documented any "breeding population"....

I've had coyotes cover a deer of mine just like that.

I believe the deer shown here was shot first, look at the foamy blood from it's nose/mouth area. A classic sign of a deer shot through the lungs. Probably someone hit this deer and couldn't find it, or saw it was just a fawn and left it.

I think if a mountain lion or bear was involved, it would have eaten much more of it and probably drug it into the woods to better hide it.

I would just about guarantee you it was a cougar. That is exactly how they kill (bite to neck either breaking the neck or suffocating the animal) and what they do with an animal that they have killed (hiding it by covering it with debree). Deer are also their primary food source. There are cougars in MN but the DNR isn't releasing them. They don't need to. They wander over themselves from the Dakota's usually young males looking for mates and their own territories. A bear may occasionally kill a deer but it would more than likely do it with a blow from it's paw breaking it's back or neck.

~piker

I used to know a black lab/farm mut that would do this to a few deer a year. he was well know for being seen from across the hay feild carring a hind quater from a fresh kill.

Nice dog though strangly enough just had a taste for venision.