• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHO MAKES HOME MADE BREAD, COOKIES, HARD ROOLS ECT. ???

the way you describe it and the way it looks, it's right up my ally. next on my list. my wife is on the biggest looser thing at work again [money involved] for a couple of weeks so i have to ease off the carbs. i think she looks good and i lost 30 pound and have kept it off, but she like being competive with that biggest looser every time they have it [the women]. the new pup is keeping me in shape running around the park almost daily. man that looks good!!!!good luck.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling a little Betty Crockerish today. Took some of that artisan bread dough sitting in the fridge, rolled it out, spread butter, white sugar, and pumkin pie spice on it, and rolled it back up. At the bottom of a muffin pan put a creamed mixture of butter, brown sugar, with a little salt and dash of pepper, set in the cut outs of the roll, let it rise about an hour, and baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes. Wallah.....caramel rolls.....the Mrs. does not like nuts though....oh well.....still tasty!

full-27018-13315-2011_10_23_19_11_37_560

DARK BREAD

2 pkgs. quick-rise yeast

1/2 cup very warm water

2 cups rye flour

1 1/2 cups cracked wheat

2 tbls anise seed

2 tbls fennel seed

1 tbls caraway seed

5 cups boiling water

1/2 cup margarine

1 cup dark molasses

3 eggs

3 tsp. salt

1 cup dry skim milk

1 1/2 cups quick oatmeal

11 to 12 cups bread flour

1/2 cup hot water*

* rye makes a very sticky dough, and needs to be quite dry before it can be kneaded. this makes a rather dry loaf of bread, so just add water at the last minute.

stir the yeast into warm water and start it rising. combine the next 6 ingredients and mix well. add the next 6 ingredients plus the yeast mixture; beat. stir and knead in the bread flour; knead until dough shows some elasticity. [this mixture won't become as elastic as a plain white dough becomes.]

knead in the hot water. butter the top of the dough; cover and put to rise in a warm place. when doubled in size, punch down and form into loaves [4 large or 8 small].lit rise again until doubled. bake at 350 for about 30 minutes for small loaves, or 45 minutes for large loaves. bottom should be slightly browned. turn out on racks and butter tops of loaves. good luck.

Here's a recipe for Naan (Indian flat bread) I'll be trying out this week. I had Indian food while traveling the last couple weeks and now I have to try to recreate what I had. It was fantastic!

RECIPE

2 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm milk

1/4 cup plain yogurt, room temperature

4 tablespoons melted butter

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds

DIRECTIONS

1: Put warm water in a small bowl, add sugar and yeast and stir until dissolved. Set aside for 5-10 minutes or until it foams.

2: Blend in the warm milk, yogurt and melted margarine. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds. Pour in the yeast/milk mixture all at once and work it into the flour, using your hands. Continue mixing, adding flour or water as needed, until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl.

3: Knead for 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and let stand in a warm place to rise for about 4 hours or until doubled in volume.

4: Preheat oven to 550 degrees F (285 degrees C) or your oven's highest setting and set a rack in the lower third of the oven. Place a large pizza pan or iron griddle on the rack and preheat. Also preheat the broiler.

5: Punch the dough down and knead briefly. Divide into six pieces and shape them into balls. Place them on an oiled plate and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let balls rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Roll out and stretch each ball until it is about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide. Remove the pizza pan from the oven, brush with oil and place one of pieces of bread on it.

6: Bake at 550 degrees F (285 degrees C) for about 4 to 5 minutes until bread is puffed and has brown spots, then transfer to a wire rack, returning pizza pan to oven to keep hot. Place bread under broiler until 'charcoal' dots appear on the surface. Wrap finished bread in a towel while baking the remaining loaves. (If your pizza pan is big enough, try baking two loaves at the time.)

Make mine pretty much the same. Do not have the patience for a four hour rise and baking, and just fry it up on the cast iron pan. Your batch will make about 8 and if you do not plan on eating all would suggest just a light cook the first time around on the ones you will eat later. I always make about 2 batches and freeze them, then lightly oil and reheat as needed. Oh man, it not even 9 am. and am jonesing for some curry sopped up with that bread!

full-27018-13836-2011_07_20_15_25_05_890

full-27018-13835-2011_07_14_23_11_20_734

CHOCOLATE POPOVERS

3/4 cup plus 2 tbls all purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tbls unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 tsp salt

4 eggs

1 cup milk

2 tbls butter melted

1/2 tsp vanilla

powdered sugar

position rack in lower third of oven. preheat oven to 375 deg . grease 6 cup popover pan or 6 [6 ounce] custard cups. set custard cups in jelly roll pan. sift flour, granulated sugar, cocoa and salt into medium bowl; set aside. beat eggs in large bowl with electric mixer at low speed 1 minute. beat in milk, butter and vanilla. beat in flour misture until smooth. pour batter into prepared pan. bake 50 minutes. immediately remove popovers to wite rack. generously sprinkle powdered sugar over popovers. serve immediately.

I bake a lot of cookies and breads around the holidays as my Mom taught me. I used to help her quite a bit and inherited her recipes. I also started some new ones. One of my favorites is a classic black forest cake. Type those three words into google along with Emeril Lagasse and you will get a killer recipe using kirsch. It's quite a few steps but the end result is a real Christmas treat. Good luck.

did not know that. well in that case, i will bake something today. i guess i have to anyway because tommorow is treat day at my wife's work and they want "better than sex cake". made it a few times already for that crew down there. thanks. good luck.

HONEY WHEAT BROWN AND SERVE ROLLS

2 packs of active dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

3/4 cup of warm water [105 to 115 deg]

2 cups of whole wheat flour

2 to 3 cups of all purpose flour divided

1/4 cup of vegetable shortening

1/4 cup honey

1 tsp salt

1 egg

sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water in small bowl, stir until yeast is dissolved. let stand 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly. combine whole wheat flour and 2 cups all purpose flour in medium bowl. measure 1 1/2 cups flour mixture into large bowl. add yeast mixture, shortening, honey, salt and egg. beat with electric mixer at low speed until smooth, scraping down side of bowl once. increase mixer speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, scraping down side of bowl once. reduce speed to low; beat in 1 cup flour mixture. increase mixer speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, scraping down side of bowl once. stir in remaining flour mixture and enough additional all purpose flour [about 1/4 cup] with wooden spoon to make a soft dough. turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour to prevent sticking. if necessary. shape dough into a ball; place in large greased bowl. turn once to grease surface. cover with clean kitchen towel. let rise in warm place [ 80 to 85 deg] about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk. punch down dough. turn dough onto lightly floured surface. knead dough several turns to remove all large air bubbles; cover and let rist 15 minutes. meanwhile, grease 24 muffin cups.

divide dough into 24 pieces. cut each piece into thirds.roll each third into a ball. place 3 balls in each muffin cup. cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes until doubled in bulk.

preheat oven to 275 deg bake 20 to 25 minutes or until rolls are set but not brown. immediately rem ove rolls from muffin cups and cool completely on wire racks. store in resealable plastic food storage bags in refrigerator or freezer. good luck.

SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE

1 orange

1 cup butter, softened

2 3/4 cups sugar

1 tbls vanilla

6 eggs

3 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup sour cream

preheat oven to 325 deg.. grease 10 inch tube pan. finely grate colored portion of orange peel. measure 2 tsp orange peel; set aside. beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy, scraping down side of bowl once. gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. beat in vanilla and orange peel. add eggs, 1 at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. combine flour, salt and baking soda in small bowl. add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. beat well after each addition. pour into prepared pan. bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tester or wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.

meanwhile, prepare citrus topping. spoon over hot cake; coll in pan 15 minutes. remove from pan to wire rack; cool completely.

CITRUS TOPPING

2 oranges

2 tsp salt

water

1/2 cup sugar, divided

1/3 cup limon juice

1 tsp vanilla

with citrus zester or vegetable peeler, remove colored peel, not white pith, from oranges. measure 1/3 cup orange peel. cut oranges in half. squeeze juice from oranges into measuring cup or small bowl. measure 1/3 cup orange juice. combine orange peel and salt in medium saucepan. add enough water to cover. bring to a boil over high heat. boil 2 minutes. drain in fine meshed sieve. return orange peel to saucepan. add orange juice and 1/4 cup sugar to saucepan. bring to a boil over high heat. reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. remove from heat. add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice and vanilla; stir until smooth. good luck.

Here ya go RH1, a healthier wheat bread......only a month and a half later smile All i did was substitute 2 cups of whole wheat bread flour in the artisan recipe Del originally posted, as well added a half cup of crushed up, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame bran thingies, and granola, instead of the extra half cup of flour. Crunchy and chewy, just the way you like it.......

full-27018-14045-2011_11_19_18_40_00_702

full-27018-14046-2011_11_19_18_41_07_385