• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHO MAKES HOME MADE BREAD, COOKIES, HARD ROOLS ECT. ???

i have never made any backery item from scratch although i spend a great deal of time in the kitchen or outside on the grill/smoker. my mom used to make everything from scratch. we could not wait for the cinnomen rolls to get done when we were kids.

i have a couple of old books just related to baking and will share some of these recepies here. for bread i'm looking for a whole grain bread with a crusty shell so to speak. when i lived in duluth as a kid there was a place called "European Bakery" on 4th street. they had a bread with a soft inside and a crust to die for. another item i want to bake is a great brat bun and a old fashion hard roll. the closest thing i have found in that type of bread is Pantera's. but i want to make my own and want to learn from those out there who have great recepies and techniques to turn out a great bread or other baking item. good luck.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knew these guys sidelined in artisan breads, figured they were bakers, but not bread........guess you would have to be hardcore groupie to know this wink

full-27018-12803-pantera.jpg

When I make my next batch will try to get some measurements for you, probably wont be till after the the following weekend though, too many fish to catch and not enough time to do it. My biggest problem when learning to bake was not following recipes, I never really did and at first a lot of the food was awful, but the dogs sure loved it smile Finally broke down and got the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, the authors are locals and is a great resource for the newbster!

I have baked bread, rolls, and pies for many years.

True 100% whole wheat is really tough to do. Up to about 40% is easier.

I have done the 5 minute artisan bread a number of times, but it is hard to make space in refrigerator.

this one sounds good. CHEESE-GARLIC BISCUITS

[Red Lobster Restaurant reciepe]

Preheat oven to 450 deg.. combine 2 cups bisquick, 2/3 cup milk and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. with a wooden spoon, stir until a soft dough forms. beat vigorously for 30 seconds. drop dough by heaping tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. bake 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. combine 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. brush over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet. serve warm. makes 10 to 12 biscuits. good luck.

A couple folks from the cities wrote a book "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day". You make a big batch of dough and keep in refrigerator. Before dinner you crank up the oven, cut off a chunk of dough, form it into a ball, let rest for a little while, and bake. You now have fresh "artisan style" bread for dinner.

They have a web site that you will have to find on your own.

The dough is flour, water, salt, and yeast. You let it rise until it collapses then refrigerate.

I have the book and can post the recipe if anyone wants it.

I have a pretty ez popover recipe. I'll post it here after work. It's one of my favorites. Goes great with a little honey butter.

We got a bread maker for our wedding a few years back. I use that quite a bit in the winter on weekends - usually when I have something going in the crock pot. There's lots of cool ideas out there for those too.

Would also like to see the popover recipe! As Delceechi mentioned can also post the "5 minute" recipe/ technique if there is an interest, and will try to find the book for a "more whole grain version" for Rh1. Its not reinventing the wheel or magic, and also as Delceechi mentioned, it takes up a little space in the fridge, but it is so durn easy and a great way to start.

thanks again. recepies on this thread dont have to be whole grain, but i do appreciate it. my wife loves whole grain breads, pasta, ect. heck lets put up some pastries as well. here is one for DOUGHNUTS:

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 cup sugar

1 cup mashed potatoes

4 cups flour

3 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. soda

1 cup buttermilk

3 tbsp. butter, melted

beat eggs until thick; beat in nutmeg, sugar and potatoes. stir soda into buttermilk; add alternately with flour to egg mixture. add butter. roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with doughnut cutter. fry in oil at 350 deg. good luck.

Breadmakers are ok, but hand is better. Kitchenaid mixer is the bomb.

5 minute bread, master recipe.

3c water, lukewarm

1 1/2 T granulated yeast

1 1/2 T Kosher Salt

6 1/2 cups unbleached AP flour, scoop and sweep.

Water should be about 100 degrees. Add salt and yeast to water in 5 quart bowl or plastic container.

Mix in flour. Mix with big wooden spoon, or stand mixer. You can use very wet hands. You just want to get everything combined and wet without dry spots. don't knead.

Cover and let rise until is starts to collapse or at least flattens out.

Put in refrigerator overnight. Makes dough easier to handle.

To bake, spread cornmeal on pizza peel or use a piece of parchament baking paper.

Sprinkle top of dough with flour, and grab and cut off a chunk about 1lb. (grapefruit size)

Form into ball by pulling the dough down and pinching together on bottom until surface gets taut. Hard to explain but it only affects the shpe.

Put dough on peel. Let rest for 40 minutes.

Heat oven with pizza stone to 450 for 20 min. Put empty broiler tray or cast iron frypan on shelf below stone.

Dust top of loaf with flour and slash about 1/2 inch deep in x or # pattern. Serrated bread knife or leech lake fillet knife works for this.

Slide loaf onto stone by jerking peel out from under it. Add 1 cup hot water to pan.

Bake 30 min or until nicely brown and firm. You can use an instant read thermometer to check. Should be like 200 degrees.

let cool

store dough in refrigerator for up to 14 days. Gets better with age.

Popovers

1 Cup Flour

3 eggs

1 cup milk

2 tbsp melted butter

preheat oven to 450

grease all 9 holes and top of muffin pan - we make these often enough that we bought a popover pan (bigger holes but only makes 4)

put a little water in any unused holes

Put flour in a large bowl.

In a smaller bowl beat eggs lightly, and milk to eggs and mix well.

Add liquid mix gradually to flour bowl mixing with a with wire whisk.

After all flour is used beat in melted butter

Pour batter into holes in pan until 3/4 full. don't use cupcake foils

Bake for 20-30 min. Checking color after 20 min.

Once popovers have a darker crust reduce temp to 350 and bake for another 10-15 min.

remove from pans and serve hot

I could not resist to whip up a quick batch of the popovers. Never had made them before, and only had soy milk and a six slot muffin tin. Did add a little salt and sugar because of the soy. Yummy!!!!..... but not much popping over because the batch was only enough for all six at about half full. Will follow Toughguys advice on the 3/4 full next time, read other recipes that called for 1/2 full and preheat the pan, which i did not do. They taste great, but am used to that mushroom cap........ this was great though, I literally had my 5 year old do everything except pour the batter.....thanks TG!!!

oh yes, keep them comming. here is one for CRESCENT ROLLS

2 pkgs. yeast, compressed or dry

1/4 cup lukewarm water

1 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup shortening

5 cups sifted flour

2 eggs

melted butter or margarine

soften yeast in water. scald milk; add sugar, salt and shortening. cool to lukewarm. add flour to make a thick batter; mix well. add softened yeast and eggs; beat well. add enough flour to make a soft dough. turn out on lightly floured board or pastry cloth; knead until smooth and satiny. place in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1 1/2 hours. when light, punch down; let rest 10 minutes.turn out on lightly floured board; divide dough into 3 equal pieces. roll each piece into a 12 inch circle. brush lightly with melted butter or margarine. cut into 12 to 16 pie-shaped pieces. roll up tightly, beginning at wide end. seal points firmly. place on greased baking sheets, with points underneath, about 2 inches apart. curve to form crescents; cover. let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes. brush lightly with melted butter or margarine. bake at 400 deg. for about 12 minutes. good luck.

Anybody have a good biscuit recipe? Mine always turn out like the biscuits served in 7th grade lunch with chicken ala king. I would like them to be more like Hardees bisquits which I think are the bomb. Someone oonce told me it was all about the lard, but I just don't know.

Please add a sausage gravy recipe too if you have it. Got some hunting trips coming up that a good biscuits/gravy recipe would be great for.

My lazy man's sausage gravy is

brown some sausage. Add can of mushroom soup and a can of milk. simmer.

Add pepper to taste. I usually use one package of sausage, about a pound.