• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHO MAKES HOME MADE BREAD, COOKIES, HARD ROOLS ECT. ???

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gravy is only as good as your sausage. I always just wing it. Brown the sausage, save the grease, add some milk or half and half and Wondra flour and you are good to go.

Please take no offense, not a big fan of the mushroom soup technique. That's just my personal taste, to me its not sausage gravy, but soup with sausage in it. I'd be lying though if I didn't say I've eaten it on many occasions (and enjoyed it).

Found this on a quick google search and its pretty much what I do.

Gravy:

1/2 pkg. mild sausage

2 tbsp. butter

4 tbsp. all purpose flour or Wondra

4 cups whole milk

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. pepper

Biscuits:

Any biscuits will work however, I find that buttermilk biscuits are best.

Cook sausage until done. Add butter and flour. Simmer for a few minutes on medium heat stirring frequently. Add milk, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium-high heat stirring constantly until desired thickness.

Spoon gravy over biscuits and enjoy!

I said mine was lazy man's recipe. The one with the flour will be better for sure. You might not have to add butter, depending on how much fat renders from the sausage. The best way is to cook the flour in the fat after the sausage has browned. Called making a roux. Add the milk (half and half seems like it is a little rich for something with sausage in it) after the flour has cooked a few minutes. If you cook the flour until it just starts to get a little golden it adds a nice flavor.

You need enough fat to make a sort of loose paste with the flour. The amount of flour depends on amount of gravy you want. I like not too much gravy for the amount of sausage. But more gravy covers more biscuits.

BTW the frozen Pillsbury biscuits aren't bad.

KNYDLI WITH PLUMS

ok, this is also something to do with making some dough. when i was a kid in Germany and also while i was at home my mom made this but only on hollidays. i was just looking for something to put on here and i came accross this in an old Ukrainian cook book. i got this marked off and will surprise my kids with this next time they are here.

i guess you could call it fruit inside a dumpling so to speak.

4 cups boiled mashed potatoes

2 cups flour

1 egg

1 tbls milk

1/2 tsp salt

purple plums [approx. 1 lb]

1 cup butter, melted [1/2 cup for greasing knydli and 1/2 cup for browning crumbs]

4 tbls zwieback crumbs [not toast]

mix together potatoes and flour. add egg, salt and milk. knead together gently, but not too long. dough should be soft and sticky. place the dough on a well floured board and make a long roll. cut the rolll into small pieces.

Plum Preparation:

wash the plums and dry very well on a towel. carefully cut one side of each plum and remove the pit. place a small amount of sugar in each plum and press together. take a piece of dough, flatten slightly and wrap around one plum. seal edges well. repeat with remaining plums. [when you cut the pieces of the dough, just figure enough to completly surround the plumb and have enough to seal it] i would just cut one piece and see if that works on one plum and go with that for the rest.

put a few [not to many] at a time into rapidly boiling water and cook gently until they rise to the top. remove from water with slotted spoon and drain in clander. when drained, put on a platter and pour some melted butter over them. repeat until all knydli are cooked. sprinkle all knydli with sugar and zwieback crumbs which have been browned in 1/2 cup butter. serve hot. potato dough knydli are delicately soft.

when i had them my mom would put browned butter over the knydli. also sprikled them with butter. i think you could also put some of your favorite pie filling over them as well, like Wilderness blueberry for example [i use that on top of pancakes as well. this was my no. 1 treat ever and i havent had this for years. glad i have this old Ukranian cook book. will check for more. good luck.

thanks again. well i looked around and i do not have a muffin pan of any kind, which i thought i had. so i was determined to make popovers anyway. so i greased up a 9x2x12 in. pan and poured the batter in that. if you took your picture and put all the popovers together then thats how the whole pan looked. nice and bumpy and brown. too hot to taste right now but i will cut them in squares and split them and put some butter inbetween. just try'd some and it tasted great. i can see it does settle during cooling but i will just cut it in pieces and serve it as it is. very nice texture. good luck.

Just made chicken fried chicken and gravy the other day.

I took some chicken breast pounded it till it was thin between a couple pieces of plastic wrap or in the plastic bag the breasts come in if your not going to reuse it. Coated the chicken in Fry Magic fried them in my cast iron when they were done I took them out and added some bacon grease to make about 3 TBS of grease to the pan along with a 1/2 cup of flour and let in cook til it was brown. Then I added 2 cups of milk slowly and wisked the .... out of it to get the lumps broken down then I added enough water to thin out the gravy. When the gravy was to my liking I added some course ground pepper and some course ground steak seasoning then put the chicken back into the pan.If your timing is off like mine is sometimes you can put the pan in the oven to keep it warm and prevent it from simmering down. I made Grands Buttemilk biscuts and baby red potatoes. I had enough gravy and biscuits left over for SOS the next day at work MMM MMM MMM laugh

oh yes, keep them comming. here is one for CRESCENT ROLLS

My Grandmother use to make this recipe but it was a Chzek version And it was more like a roll than a flaky crescent roll. Still rolled up like a crescent roll though. Just can't remember the name of them confused

SKILLET CORN BREAD

here is something i found in an old southern cookbook [Cabbage Patch Famous Kentucky Recipes] it's from 1952.

Skillet Corn Bread

1/4 cup flour

3/4 cup corn meal

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp sugar

lard for frying [they called it hog lard in the book]

sift dry ingredients [except meal], add meal and gradually beat buttermilk into this mixture. batter will be stiff. melt lard in frying pan. when smoking hot, drop in batter by spoonful and cook 3 min. on each side.

seems like a good thing at the campfire to me [plus at home]. good luck.

KENTUCKY BEATEN BISCUITS

another one out of the old cook book. the book is so old its taped together.

3 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tbls sugar

2 heaping tbls shortning [ the book said hog lard-grainy grin ]

1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup milk, mixed with ice cubes

work lard into dry ingredients until consistency of coarse corn meal. add liquid, very little at a time, until dough is very stiff. add as little of the liquid as possible. the stiffer the dough, the better the biscuits.

run dough through biscuits roller until it is satiny smooth. cut biscuits about 1/2 inch thick with pronged cutter, or cut and poke with fork. bake at 350 for about 45 min. or until a delicate brown. makes about 2 and a half dozen.

these biscuits may be made and cut, ready for the baking, then put in refrigeration until time to bake and serve, if you prefer them hot. good luck.

WHOLE GRAIN LOAF

active dry yeast packet .25oz

1/2 cup warm water [110 deg to 115 deg ]

1/2 cup 2% small curd cottage cheese

1/4 cup honey

2 tbls canola oil

1 tsp salt

1 egg

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup rye flour

1/4 cup quick cooking oats

1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

cornmeal

1 egg white

2 tbls cold water

1 tbls sesame seeds

in a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. add cottage cheese, honey, oil, salt, egg and 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour. beat until smooth. gradualy beat in whole wheat and rye flours, oats, wheat germ, and enough remaining all purpose flour to make a soft dough. put on a floured surface, kneed until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 min. place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 75 min. punch dough down, let rest for 10 min. shape into a ball. place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. cover and let rise until doubled. about 30 min. beat egg white and cold water, brush over dough. sprinkle with sesame seeds. bake at 350 deg for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. remove from pan to cool on a rack.

good luck.

Here is my grandma's spaghetti recipe.. with slight variations i have made over the years.. its absolutely amazing...

1# Bacon

1 Green Pepper

1 Yellow Onion

1 12oz Can V8

16oz Canned Diced Tomatoes

2-3tps Brown Sugar

1-2Tbls Chili Powder

1t Black Pepper

Cook bacon in 2" skillet... when bacon is about halfway cooked add onion and green pepper and cook until bacon is done and veggies are tender.. drain grease.. add V8 and diced tomatoes.. bring to simmer... add brown sugar to taste(basically until its not so acidic roughly a 2-3t will do).. add pepper and chili powder as well... simmer for 10min.. serve over pasta

PS: When I cook I do not measure things.. so the spice/sugar measurements are a rough estimate..

CINNAMON ROLLS

for the dough

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbls sugar

1 tsp active dry yeast

3 tbls oil

1/2 cup warm milk

1/2 cup warm water

for the filling

3 tbls butter, softened

2 to 3 tbls dark brown sugar

1/2 to 1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tbls raisins

preheat the oven to 400 deg. sift together the flour, salt and sugar, and sprinkle onto the yeast. mix the oil, egg milk and water, and add to the flour. mix into a dough, then knead until smooth. let rise in a covered bowl until doubled in bulk, then punch down again.

roll out the dough into a large rectangle and cut in half vertically. spread on the softened butter, reserving 1 tabls for brushing. combine the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle this over the top. dot the surface with the raisins.

roll each piece into a long swiss roll shape, to enclose the filling. cut into i inch slices, arrange flat on a greased baking sheet and brush with the remaining butter. let rise again for 30 minutes.

bake the cinnamon rolls in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. let cool on a wire rack. good luck.

MEXICAN CORNBREAD

2 eggs, slightly beaten

3/4 cup milk

1/3 cup salad oil

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

[reserve 1/2 cup for topping]

1/2 lb. ground beef, browned

17 ounce can cream style corn

7 ounce box corn muffin mix

4 ounce can chopped mild chillies

4 ounce jar chopped pimento

heat oven to 400 deg. combine all ingredients and mix well. pour into greased 9x9 inch pan and bake 25 to 35 minutes. remove from oven and sprinkle the reserved 1/2 cup cheese over the top. bake for 10 more minutes. if dish seems to be browning too much, cover with foil. cut into squares, 1 inch if using as an appetizer, or 2 plus inches if using as a brunch main dish. good luck.

WILD RICE BREAD

3 1/2 to 4 cups bread or all purpose flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 [1/4] oz packages quick-rise dry yeast

2 1/2 tsp salt

1 cup milk

1 cup water

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup butter or margarine

2 cups cooked wild rice

softened butter

in large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. in saucepan heat milk, water, honey and butter to 120 to 130 deg. [butter does not need to melt]. add to flour mixture, blend at low speed until moistened. beat 3 minutes at medium speed. by hand, stir in wild rice and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls from side of bowl. turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes, adding flour if neccessary to prevent sticking. place in greased bowl; turn dough greased side up. cover; let rise in warm place until double, 30 to 40 minutes.

grease 2 [8 1/2 z 4 1/2 inch]loaf pans. punch dough down; turn onto llightly floured surface, and divide into 2 parts. cover with bowl and let rest 15 minutes. roll each part into 6x14 inch rectangle. starting with narrow end, roll up tightly; pressing dough into roll with each turn. pinch edges and ends to seal. place in pans. preheat oven to 375 deg. cover dough; let rise until double, 20 to 25 minutes. dough will be about 1 inch above pan at highest point. bake until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped, 35 to 45 minutes. remove from pans; coll on wire racks. brush tops of loaves with softened butter after 10 minutes of cooling. good luck.

SPICY APPLE BARS

THESE ARE AWESOME

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

2 cups diced apples

1/2 cup chopped pecans

preheat oven to 350 deg. blend flour, 1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter; press in bottom of 9x13 inch baking pan. combine remaining ingredients except apples and nuts; add apples and nuts and toss to coat with mixture. spread evenly on top of crust bake until brown, 40 to 45 minutes. cool slightly; cut into bars.

great stuff to take to the deer stands while your waiting for the venison to come your way. good luck.

EASY PIE CRUST

this recipe holds together and rolls out beautifully makes 2 double crust pies or 4 single crust pies.

4 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups shortening

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 tbls vinegar

1/2 cup cold water

blend flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. combine egg, vinegar and 1/2 cup water; gradually stir into flour mixture. gather dough together, adding 1 additional tablespoon of water if necessary. divide dough into 4 equal parts and shape firmly into balls. roll oout immediately or wrap and refrigerate or freeze for later use.

4 [8 or 9 inch]pastry rounds.

to roll out pastry; shape ball of dough into a flattened round on lightly floured cloth covered surface. with lightly floured stockinette-covered rolling pin, roll dough about 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate. fold pastry in half; carefully transfer to pie plate. unfold and ease pastry loosely into pie plate. for single, baked pie shell. trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from edge of plate. fold or roll under, flute edge. poke bottom and side of crust evenly with fork. bake in a preheated 475 deg. oven until lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes.

Only have rum, so will see if that works smile

full-27018-13311-2011_10_23_14_11_06_679

Finally got around to making that 5 minute artisan bread recipe that Del originally posted. So easy, crunchy, chewy, doughy, and yummy. Never have tried the peasant loaf yet, RH1, but will do so and give you the lowdown.