• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHO MAKES HOME MADE BREAD, COOKIES, HARD ROOLS ECT. ???

I have Alton Brown's "Gear", and Christopher Kimball's "The Kitchen Detective". Neither of these are typical cookbooks, but more the science behind good cooking. I read these types of books like some read novels. smile

Then for absolute sure you need the Harold McGee books. He also periodically has columns in the NY Times.

"On Food and Cooking" is available at many libraries, and new or used from amazon. You will love it. Bakewise/cookwise are more a combination of science and recipes.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AUTHENTIC GERMAN BREAD [bAUERNBROT]

this bread will be a challenge for me since it takes a lot of prep work and since i'm baking challenged. this is the type of bread i like as i researched it. ends up with a dark crisp crust and a soft tasty base.

sourdough base

1 1/2 compressed fresh yeast

1 quart warm water

2 tbls white sugar

4 cups all purpose flour

2nd stage

8 cups white rye flour

4 cups all purpose flour

2 tbls salt

1 tsp white sugar

2 cups warm water

first, make the sourdough starter. crumble the yeast into a large bowl. whisk in 1 quart of warm water and 2 tbls of sugar until dissolved. the water should be just slightly warmer than body temperature. gradualy wisk in 4 cups of flour, continuing to mix until all lumps are gone. cover with a dish towel and let set for 24 hours at room temp.

after 24 hours, stir well, cover, and let stand another 24 hours. it will be a thin light, colored sourdough which is then ready to use.

in a large bowl, stir together the rye flour, 4 cups of all purpose flour, salt and sugar. mix in the sourdough starter using a wooden spoon. then stir in two cups of warm water. transfer the dough to a heavy duty stand mixer to mix the first couple mixes, then it cant handle the heavy dough and then start using your hands by turning the dough out onto a floured surface. a clean countertop works best.

knead the dough, adding a few tbls of water at a time if its too stiff. fold the dough over, pull it apart, whatever you can do to get it kneaded up good. total kneading time should be 15 to 20 min. to get a smooth dough. place dough in a large bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, 1 to 2 hours.

when the dough has risen, scrape it out of the bowl and back on the floured surface. knead for about 5 minutes. this is important to activate the gluten. shape into 1 or 2 long loaves. place on baking sheets, and let rise for about 1 hour, or until your fingers leave an impression when you poke the bread gently. pre heat the oven to 425 deg. bake the bread for about 45 min for 2 loaves, 1 1/2 hrs if you made one big long loaf. dont worry if the crust is dark. the bread will be delicious and so will the crust. cool completly before cutting. the bread freezes well. good luck.

Ok, i know, apple pies are made pretty much the same. i have some apples in the backyard that need a home in a pie. what recipe has worked out the best for you? the apples i have are Fireside. somewhat sweet and crisp. thanks. good luck.

1/2 dish sliced apples 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 cup water 3/4cup flour 6 T. butter Fill buttered baking dish about half full of sliced apples. Mix all ingredients together. Spread over apples. Bake in hot oven about 30 min. to 1 hour. RH Here is an apple crisp recipe that my wife makes in the fall and freezes. Tastes great with ice cream.