• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New "State Record"

i don't consider it a waste leaving a dead sub legal fish in the lake as opposed to eating it (nasty!) - completes the food chain.

and no, a person harvesting a musky for a mount does not also complete the food chain.

dropping the 48 inch minimum now that it's established wouldn't be good for the fishery.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Kuhn,

You've never had a fish die that you know of. Just like all the tournament fish that get released and swim off after weight in, then wash up on shore a couple of days later.

Why change? Because we know it harms the fish less. I would think true C&R guys would embrace this.

I was just going to say this same thing. Saying you have never killed a fish is a big assumption. Most of the time that fish die, it is after you release them.

Success can be measured in different ways.

I choose to use barbless hooks on most of my lures for a variety of reasons. Obvioulsy it's very easy to unhook and causes minimal damage when taking them out. It's also nice to know I won't have to go to the doctor to pull out a buried treble hook, barbless come put very nicely.

I don't muskie fish to eat fish. My success is measured by the enjoyment of fishing with my friends and the catching of muskies. It is also a "success" to me when I know the fish I caught went through as little stress as possible. If the point at the end of your catch is to let them go, than you have a responsibility to make sure they are as healthy as possible.

It's the same mindset as leaving the woods, or your campsite, the way you found them. Pick up your trash and leave as little imprint as possible.

When I leave the lake after fishing muskies, or other species I don't catch to eatm, I know I've done everything I can to "leave the lake the way I found it" while still enjoying the act of fishing.

At any rate, if success to you is catching big fish, than do your part to make sure big fish stay in the lake, or someday your success rate will be quite low.

The fish don't grow fast enough to keep up with the inentional kills and delayed mortality if they continue the way they have.

Someday this will be a sobering lesson for many.

JS

Actually that is a very clueless statement. Kind of like saying if you don't want to live on a polluted planet you should kill yourself so you don't add any pollution. Life isn't that black and white.

We all love to fish, because some want to help ensure everyone can have good fishing in the future they should quit??

Common sense says to keep enjoying your pastimes while doing what you can to let others be able to enjoy it too.

JS

Actually that is a very clueless statement. Kind of like saying if you don't want to live on a polluted planet you should kill yourself so you don't add any pollution. Life isn't that black and white.

We all love to fish, because some want to help ensure everyone can have good fishing in the future they should quit??

Common sense says to keep enjoying your pastimes while doing what you can to let others be able to enjoy it too.

JS

That 2nd sentence made me laugh out loud. Ha.

I totally agree with your last line, nicely put.

Yeah I know the kid from seeing him on the lake and so on. My buddys gf's develops all of his pics and many of the pics are of dead fish!!! He comes to MN a few times a year and kills most fish. Hesgonna have some words with me next time I see him and I hope its on da water, not at da bar!!!

Sorry, can't resist. Da Bearsssssssss. That's a classic.

"most fish"...interesting. Are they legal fish in the pics that are dead or is he thumping them all? If they aren't legal, have you turned him in before? If this has been happening for a while, why not have the catch and release conversation before now?

so what do you musky guys think about taking a Tiger to have it mounted that comes out of say crystal lake where the regs have changed to 40" and bigger? i apologize if this has already been discussed. i'm curious to see if the Tiger hybrid has the same clout?

I've already giving this guy the whole speech about catch and release and all that last summer. He told me that he tries to rivive fish but they die. So I told him to get the right release tools and the whole run down. He said he was gonna do all that and he basically had NO clue about any laws or anything. So I talked to him and his buddys for about an hour on what to do and all that [PoorWordUsage]. The point is he could care less and he's gonna keep killing fish that I've caught in the past and plan on catching in the future. There is nothing anyone can do to help this guy not kill fish except catch him in the act of killing sub 48 inch fish. I will do my best to keep an eye out cuz I know where he stays and what boat he fishes out of!!!!

I've already giving this guy the whole speech about catch and release and all that last summer. He told me that he tries to rivive fish but they die. So I told him to get the right release tools and the whole run down. He said he was gonna do all that and he basically had NO clue about any laws or anything. So I talked to him and his buddys for about an hour on what to do and all that [PoorWordUsage]. The point is he could care less and he's gonna keep killing fish that I've caught in the past and plan on catching in the future. There is nothing anyone can do to help this guy not kill fish except catch him in the act of killing sub 48 inch fish. I will do my best to keep an eye out cuz I know where he stays and what boat he fishes out of!!!!

Well, unfortunately that’s all a guy can do and you’ve tried. Maybe if you can restrain yourself from tossing him in the lake, get in his boat and fish with him and change his mindset? You ever talked to the DNR and had them keep an eye out for him?

Nice fish in your avatar btw. That's a fatty.

Yeah I know the kid from seeing him on the lake and so on. My buddys gf's develops all of his pics and many of the pics are of dead fish!!! He comes to MN a few times a year and kills most fish. Hesgonna have some words with me next time I see him and I hope its on da water, not at da bar!!!

Note to thread Editors: please remove this post immediately. Threats have no place on this site.

This is an appalling post.

I have to say that this post and the conversations going on are quite interesting. I primarily fish bass and have recently got somewhat into musky fishing. I see the rush and now see what I was missing after my first formal big one at 42". My other two were 37 and 38 on small bass cranks while targeting bass. Anyway. There is alot of passion with the musky enthusists. I respect that and just wanted to say that I'm a big proponent of replicas and will CPR any and all Muskies / any fish from here on out actually I ever get lucky enough to encounter. I also wanted to add that I didn't perceive any thing anyone said as a threat towards anyone. Just words and enthusiastic passionate discussion.

The "elitist" muskie fishermen, that's a good one.

Is there a certain action that makes you an elitist? Do you have to be someone that belongs to MI, or that uses barbless hooks, or that works to raise size limits and creates new fishing opportunities??

Is it just uttering the phrase C&R that makes you an elitist??

If you aren't elitist, what does that make you?

Just wondering.

JS

John, I completely get your point, but you cannot honestly tell me that you have not heard someone (preferably a non-musky fisherman) refer to musky fishermen as elitest? Here is a typical definition of an elitism " select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern"

By definition a musky fisherman shouldnt be offended by being called an elitist, but its the context in which the term is used.

I am wholeheartedly 100% for C&R for muskies and I cannot think of a scenario where I would keep one even if it were a record. That's just me. I do not chastise someone for making that choice though either.

A prime example as to how a musky fisherman could get labeled an elitist in a negative manner would be conduct on the water, cutting people off, etc. This is how I usually hear it come up. Fact is MUSKY fisherman are NOT the only ones doing it, but the perception is there. Whether you like it or I like it, it is. The other part is the fact that advocates are trying hard to expand musky stocking in MN to more lakes, the naysayers turn that in to ruining my lake, etc. This is how this stuff comes together. I dont agree with it, but its the way it happens and we all know it.

I have fished muskies for many years and know a thing or two about handling them, some from BIG mistakes I made in the past which I learned from. The problem we encounter is that no matter how hard we try to educate someone on these practices, they may not see it as teaching, but rather PREACHING and there is a big difference there.

The line about not fishing if you care about fish was sarcastic not clueless. Its the truth. Caring about a living creature is different than caring about pastimes and sport. Ya not fishing would be a little overboard.

I love fishing for these fish and even kringe at the thought of people using live bait. I dont bash them for it. I also think tournaments are fine. As far as going undergunned is a different story. Playing these fish out and enjoying the fight can kill them fast, especially in warm water temps.

Just getting sick of all the preaching about killing a fish for the wall. Would I? No, dont care how big it was. If I did all I could and it was a legal fish that died, then its going to the taxidermist. I do agree with most on here but, wont go out of my way to bash someones decision they made. Some people will never change, no matter how many times you try to educate them.

The most common reference to being an elitist comes from other muskie fishermen, usually on the internet boards.

Apparently it's supposed to be a slam, but if what I am is an elitist, then I guess people just aren't using the word in the context they think they are, because I'm not offended.

JS

Mr. Skarie,

Here's a verbatim post you made 8-19-09 @7:24am (you can look it up!)

"I'm not real gung ho about letting people I don't know having any info about my fishing or anything else about my personal life. Hence no pics or bragging by me on the internet anymore. But if your one of those that keeps everything inside for fear of those, even your friends, knowing what your doing and catching them then why fish in the first place??"

Geez, John, if you're not "real gung ho" about sharing information, why have you made 577 posts in a little over two years? Why have you shared in these posts detailed info/opinions on musky locations, tactics, electronics, ethics, and your personal life? Oh, that's right, you don't believe in holding "everything inside". And we certainly won't catch you "bragging", but apparently pontificating is o.k.

Look, a single twenty two year old, unenlightened kid, does not represent the end of musky fishing. Since time began, in every human endeavor, there's been a meaningful percentage of the unprincipled and worse. This is hardly a revelation. Why would musky fishing be any different? Apparently you want to be front and center in all things related to musky fishing, but you loudly and sanctimoniously scream "foul" when the inevitable bad egg shows himself in your ranks.

Please, a little perspective.

This particular kid's real mistake was publicizing his exploits. For that, the "sportsmen" on this site have accused him of breaking the law, threatened him with confrontation, and one especially thuggish poster feels he's identified his place of employment (I can only guess as to why he'd do that).

However horrible you and your supporters deem this kid's actions, they're nothing compared to your shrill, militant, selfish reactions.

Hi fish, his call. Whether we like it or not no laws were broken - he paid for a license and as long as he abides by the law it's his call.

I don't like to point fingers at others - I don't like things being pushed on me - that's how I treat others - that's how I'd like to be treated by others.

Makes good conversation and discussion, but let him be.