• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

30"+ Brown!!!

itchmesir

This trout was caught opening day on Duschee Creek right in front of our office. Unofficially 30” and 12lbs. I’m trying to contact the angler to get additional information. He kept it.

Steve Klotz

Lanesboro Area Fisheries Sup.

office-507/467/2442 ext. 222

fax-507/467/3416

[email protected]

A brown that size probably does more damage to the existing trout population than what it can offer up during the spawn. It also looks like a male fish.

There's nothing as fun as walking up next to some worm dunkers on the Duschee, catching four fish on four consecutive casts using plastics, letting them go and moving on to the next "plunge pool" or what have you. winksmilewink

I wonder how much the angler population on Duschee is gonna spike now? Not that it wasn't already an over fished area... people are gonna be out there chasing pipe dreams

Being located right on Hwy. 16, it is not as if Duschee is a hidden gem back in the hills somewhere...

At any rate, by next year the crowds of dreamchasers will move on as this story fades away, and no more monster fish are reported from there.

Fish the mouth of trout streams that enter the Root in the heat of the summer. Clearly that is a Root River brown, not a Duschee Creek brown.

Yeah obvious male. I have been told big male trout even more rare. Guess they don't live as long? Fight with other males? Growth rate slower than a female?

males just dont get the size that females do from any species [freshwater fish] i believe. the dnr regularly stocks adult trout into trout lakes when they run their course for spawning purposes. i have been told these trout run between 5 and ten pounds. now i dont know if that is the same case in a wild setting, but just like humans, as far as females, the older you get the less likely you have a chance at giving birth.

i have kept large fish in the past and have them mounted in my house. but as the years went on i have realeased many large fish. now with graphite reproductions if someone wants to keep one for memories that is the way i would go. but it's up to each fisherman to decide. good luck.

That is an absolute monster. I wonder if that giant thing put up a half-hour fight or if he was too old to care....? ha

I tried putting myself into the angler's shoes and I definitely packed up my rod for the day and went to the taxidermist with that thing! Replicas are a great alternative to say, catching a 6lb largemouth or an 8lb walleye, but there's nothing like the real thing and a stream trout that size is once-in-a-lifetime. I wish I had that story to tell, good for him. It'd be even better on a fly rod though!!! haha wink

I was lucky enough to catch a 23" 4 lb brown on a stream near Lake City that was not even supposed to have trout and I mounted it. It is a wonderful looking fish with a teal check plate and beautiful colors. It was also caught on a crawler. blush That 30 iner looks like it could eat mine! that fish didn't have long to live, why not make it last forever in a mount instead of becoming turtle food real soon?

Because turtles need to eat too cry I fly fish and let most of my fish go. I'd never keep a trophy fish. Don't like the taste of trout let alone a big 'ol moss bag like that. I'd let it go and maybe someone else or a child could catch it again or then maybe the turtles would eat it. If I felt hundreds of dollars were well spent on a replica I would do that. But I don't. That being said, I don't care if anyone keeps a trophy or not. It's about personal choice. Great fish, congrats!!!

Duffman you hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
A brown that size probably does more damage to the existing trout population than what it can offer up during the spawn.

FishinFools I have heard this one so many times. Worms are for kids. Worms are the easy way out. Anybody can land a big inland stream trout with worms.

Quote:
Yeah...but a worm, really?! (if that comment appears to reek with jealousy, well...sometimes...geez!!! That's a great trout...anywhere/anyhow!!!)

I don't care your method, just show me some big trout. They are incredibly rare. I consider anything 20"+ for a brown a trophy and any 15"+ brookie a trophy. Again, my comment only applies to inland stream trout here in the Midwest.

Len seems to think this was somebody's pet or too close to Lanesboro Fisheries to be a coincidence. Baloney. I got an email from Klots or Snook (I forget) who told me this is a wild brown trout.

Any way you look at it, this is a prized catch. I hope the angler enjoys the fish on his wall or resort or wherever it is going.