• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Survival Collar

pureinsanity

Ive been doing a little grouse hunting for about 10 years now, and I have never got lost exception of last year. I hunt with my father and one dog. I decided to get off the main trail and go around this small bog, which turned into a bigger bog and bigger bigger bog! I have a pretty good sense of direction and navigating skills. However, I was starting to sweat a little bit as I kept getting further and further around this bog. Had my dog by my side which made me feel a little bit more comfortable as well as a 12 gauge with 30 or so shells in my pouch.

I knew I was headed into the right direction and eventually I would hit a road, but I never expected it to be that long of a walk and put me where it actually did.

I tried yelling and communicating with my father who was some ways off into the woods. No response which got me thinking, Ok, did he fall and hit something or does he just not hear me? I was about to use the shot gun three shot trick when I heard a car coming. All said and done I found my road that I thought I was going to hit and was only about 100 yards off target where I then finally heard my father yelling for me as I should have been closer to him.

All said and done I vowed to go out there better prepared with a small compass and possibly some tools with me that I could use in the field if need be. But more specifically if I am on my own.

Have any of you seen the parachute cord bracelets commonly made by most military personal in their spare time? I have been contemplating using some of their techniques for wrapping rod handles to give it a unique grip. I figured I better start and learn how they do the bracelets first however.

Here is a picture of a couple styles I tried last night.

223282_739823053502_199101806_37646530_5

Each of these bracelets hold about 6 foot on average of cord that if you needed to use you can easily unravel it from the bracelet. Finally I got an idea for one for the dog! Depending the style I make and how thick or tight I make it I should be able to get about 20-30 feet of cord made up into a collar. Either use this as a main collar for the dog or just strap it on as a safety precaution. Its light weight and pretty durable.

What do you guys think of this idea? Now if I got lost in the woods towards night and needed to make some sort of shelter I could pop this dogs collar off and have about 30 some feet of parachute cord to work with as well as a few more feet from my bracelet. If I needed to make a tourniquet for some reason I would have that cord to use. Heck even some kind of stretcher to carry a wounded or sick buddy? The uses could essentially be endless.

Thoughts?

its a good idea, except I wouldnt put a collar like that on my dog.

This could be a really big concern as that collar could get caught or snagged on something. If your dog falls or gets caught on something he could injure himself, or even worse when your dog is in water or makes a retrieve in water the the collar could get caught there as well and the dog could drown. I have to say that I have seen this happen first hand and can be very traumatic for a dog and its owner.

Not a bad idea, just not sure if I want it around my dogs neck. If it came apart, then that would be less of a concern.

A survival whistle is a great carry into the woods. Small, the whistle can be heard much farther than the human voice, integrated compass and thermometer, and mine even has a small magnifying glass to aid in starting a fire.

and mine even has a small magnifying glass to aid in starting a fire.

Ha, what for? So you can take a good look at what isn't going to burn anytime soon? (just razzin ya).

There is always the gps option.

otherwise, you could always just carry a small fanny pack type thing with all of the survival gear in there. Or put in your vest. You've gotta have room for any birds you shoot anyways, right?

I tend to agree with the probably not a good idea for a dog collar opinion.

However... what about a belt for your pants or shorts? That would be a heck of a lot of parachute chord that is carried on you and serves a function.

my buddy has a woven collar just like that for his black lab. he's a huge duck hunter and never had any problems with the collar snagging on anything. might be different in the grouse woods though

Ive already had a request for a belt and a few dog collars. Even if this did get snagged on something your average dog should be able to pull and unravel it. These things are essentially knots, but it could easily be pulled apart.

The gun sling has crossed my mind as well. specifically for guys who hunt up north in the bigger woods. Seen duck call lanyards as well!

Even if this did get snagged on something your average dog should be able to pull and unravel it. These things are essentially knots, but it could easily be pulled apart.

regardless of how easy you think it fall apart its still a recipe for disaster. With the speeds any bird dog travels through timber, fences, water etc etc, all it would take is just once for something bad to happen.

With the speed my GSP's travel, I would never even take the chance. Take a 70lb dog traveling full speed and one quick tug in the opposite direction with that much force with all the tension around the neck and it could get ugly.

If it was practical, you would already see it being done. Your idea to carry something like this is great, but do it as a belt and not a dog collar.

I just read through this post... My opinion? Not a bad idea! I agree that it poses little or no more danger than an e-collar or beeper collar. Make it sized so it is not hanging from te neck. You can even zip tip it to the inside of an e-collar if you are concerned.

With that said, I could see a sling or a human belt as a better alternative solely for the amount of cord available. Or even a 4' lead for the dog in case you need one for a road etc. If they come apart fairly easily, what would be the durability factor as a collar? I run nylon and or e-collars on my dogs when hunting and never once have I seen one hang up on a snag... duck hunting in sticks or river bottoms = no collar. Just for the drowning factor.

Good Luck!

Ken

What do you guys think of this idea? Now if I got lost in the woods towards night and needed to make some sort of shelter I could pop this dogs collar off and have about 30 some feet of parachute cord to work with as well as a few more feet from my bracelet. If I needed to make a tourniquet for some reason I would have that cord to use. Heck even some kind of stretcher to carry a wounded or sick buddy? The uses could essentially be endless.

Thoughts?

IMO, you shouldn't need more than a couple feet to construct a shelter. Tourniquet, maybe, but you really need to know how to use one before you do it. Stretcher... if you need a stretcher, chances are you'll need at least a couple people to carry it, and you have bigger problems on your hands. Better to go call for help.

debris_hut_shelter.jpg

IMO, you shouldn't need more than a couple feet to construct a shelter. Tourniquet, maybe, but you really need to know how to use one before you do it. Stretcher... if you need a stretcher, chances are you'll need at least a couple people to carry it, and you have bigger problems on your hands. Better to go call for help.

debris_hut_shelter.jpg

You can have your two feet. What happens when you need 2 more feet? or need to make 3 more tourniquets for other wounded people? How about making snares, traps, other things. What if you have a back pack with some food in it and you need to hang it in a tree so the bears cant get it? I realize most the time this wouldn't be an issue. HOWEVER better to be prepared then have nothing at all. I have a few odds and ends stuck in the butt of my shot gun like a lighter, some paper, and a few other things.

You can have your two feet. What happens when you need 2 more feet? or need to make 3 more tourniquets for other wounded people? How about making snares, traps, other things. What if you have a back pack with some food in it and you need to hang it in a tree so the bears cant get it? I realize most the time this wouldn't be an issue. HOWEVER better to be prepared then have nothing at all. I have a few odds and ends stuck in the butt of my shot gun like a lighter, some paper, and a few other things.

You could always use "more" of anything in a survival situation. If you're stuck in the woods, you shouldn't need food for a couple days (even though it would be nice to have). If you have a gun, shoot something. If you have a backpack, put some rope in there.

It's all personal choice, but I prefer not to put anything on my dog that isn't tried and tested.

And again. Be very careful putting a tourniquet on someone. They may end up losing a leg unnecessarily.