• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Share Your Awesome Crock Pot Recipies???

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy Portabella Mushroom Appetizers

1 Stick melted butter

1/2 to 3/4 packet of hidden valley dry ranch seasoning

Sliced Portabellas

Mix ranch and melted butter, stir in the mushrooms so all sides are coated and put in the crock on low for 2-3 hours. Very easy, delicious, and always a crowd pleaser.

One of our favorites form the Fix it and Forget It cookbook.

Piquant French Dip

Makes 8 servings

3-lb Chuck Roast

2 cups water

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 tsp. dried rosemary

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3-4 whole peppercorns

8 French rolls

1. Place roast in slow cooker. Add water, soy sauce and seasonings.

2. Cover. Cook on High 5-6 hours, or until beef is tender.

3. Remove beef from broth. Shred with fork. Keep warm.

4. Strain broth. Skim fat. Pour broth into small cups for dipping. Serve beef on rolls.

We like to add at least a dozen peppercorns. You need to add all the seasonings at the time when you are making it. I tried to put all the seasonings in a bag with plans on making it in two days and it did not have the right flavor.

I've made this time and time again after getting it from you a few years ago on here. This is a must make! I've passed it on to a few friends who love it.

I like to add some provolone cheese on top as well. You can also use day old bread from Jimmy Johns!

Quote:
A while back I read about a Coca-Cola roast and decided to try that today. Can of Coke, packet of French Onion mix, and the roast. Got it going at 7:30 this morning and the house is smelling pretty good! We'll see how it turns out later today.....

A variation on this recipe is

1 can of coke

1 packet Lipton onion soup mix

1 bottle of chill sauce

Mix and pour over the roast. Cook all day. Tastes like BBQ sauce. If I have a tomato based recipe that is thinner than I like I will add a small can of tomato paste to thicken it up.

I have got to try the breakfast recipe! I do ribs in the crockpot. I marinade them with liquid smoke for 24 hrs, then just throw them in the crockpot with some Honey barb-que sauce, and let roast away! Delicious, and simple!

My Dad came up to the lake for Fathers Day weekend and we had a 2 1/2 lb Stockman Dakota Chuck Roast dying to be tried in thirdeyes recipe (see earlier in the thread) for a nice Saturday night dinner.

We Loved It!!!Although the peppers were a little spicy for me to eat (ya, I know. I'm a wuz), they were fabulous in the braising liquid and the gravy that was made after. I could could still taste that wonderful taste 10 minutes after eating. Next time I'll add in some sweet sliced yellow peppers for the eatin portion.

I cooked the roast for 7 hours on low in a roaster oven after searing the meat on the stove. The last two hours added sliced portabellas and baby carrots. This went to plate along side Garlic Mashed Baby Reds and RH1's Cole Slaw recipe (posted on another thead.) The liquid was mixed with corn starch to thicken into an awesome gravy to smother the meat. My wife, Dad and myself aren't huge eaters, but that entire roast was history 1/2 hour after we plated it.

This will definately be my go to for Chuck Roasts, whether its sandwiches or a regular dinner, from here on out.

Thanks for the awesome recipes. RH1's cole slaw (the one with the pinapple, apple, walnuts, ect) was a perfect compliment.

First time on this forum. I visit the Rainy Lake forum faithfully. You guys are some awesome cooks. I LOVE my crockpot, so does my family. If I could just invent the solar crock pot so I could use it on the houseboat and not have to run the generator all day.

Here are a few of our favorites

Chicken Parmigiana

2 eggs

1 tsp salt

1/4tsp pepper

6 bonelss, skinless chicken breast halves

1 cup Italian bread crumbs

4 Tbs. butter

14 0z. jar pizza sauce

6 slices mozzerella cheese

grated parmesan cheese

Beat egg, salt and pepper together. Dip chicken in mix and coat w/ bread crumbs. Saute chicken in butter. Arrange chicken in crock pot.

Pour pizza sause over chicken.

cook on low 6-8 hours.

Layer Mozzerealla over top and sprinkle w/ parmesan. Cook additional 15 min.

Swiss steak

4 Tbs. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 1/2 tsp dry mustard

1 1/2-2 lbs. round steak

oil

1 cup sliced onions

1 lb. carrots

14 1/2 oz.can whole tomatos

1 Tbs. brown sugar

1 1/2 Tbs. worcestershire sauce

Mix flour,salt, pepper and dry mustard. Cut steak into serving size pieces.Dredge in flour mixture. Brown on both sides in oil.Place in crock pot.

Add onions and carrots.

Mix tomatos, brown sugar and worcestershire sauce. Pour into crock pot.

Cook on low 8-10 hours

Enjoy,

Mama Norts

Here is a recipe I fixed for the guys at Portavilla last winter:

Place a turkey breast in the crockpot, along with a can of cranberries (whole cranberries) a half a jar of orange marmalade, 1 stick of butter. Add a little water if their isn't enough juice. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, turning the turkey breast a few times. Served it with mashed potatoes and a salad.

How about as a time saver during harvest? I have plenty of apple trees and I love making apple butter, but its hours over the stove. Then I decided to try it in the crockpot. Threw all the basic ingredients from any apple butter recipe together, poured it all in the crockpot with apples mounded in the middle. Then went to bed. Got up in the morning, spooned the perfect apple butter into canning jars and they were hot enough to self-seal. Tossed another batch in before leaving for work, came home and had another great batch.

Anybody ever did a ham in the crockpot?? Was thinking of picking up a smaller bone-in ham and cooking it on low all day....

Looked thru this thread, looking for some variety for our dakota trips, something to have ready after a full day of hunting, may try one of the roast or the stroganoff recipes.

Feel free to add more recipes to this thread smile Simple is good.

Blackjack, i cant recall doing just a ham in the crockpot [mainly because of the size]. if you have a small bone-in ham and it fits, i would think it should be ready for sandwiches or a side dish for you when you return from hunting and taste just fine. for myself, if i were to do something in a crockpot for hunting camp, pulled pork would be the ticket for a crockpot.

there are many recipes on this thread to choose from also. i'm making a large batch of pulled pork to freeze in vacume bags for later use. some for deer camp and some for ice fishing. it's so easy to warm up in a crock pot or in the vacume bags is simmering water. saves time, easy, less mess and more time for hunting for the cook. good luck.

My Mom does Ham in the crock pot all the time. She usually does the boneless and slices it then wraps it in tinfoil and puts it on low and lets it go. I would think a small bone in would be the same. I assume the foil is to keep it from drying out and burning to the side. You could add pineapple or brown sugar and let it steam in that for the "honeyham".

REINHARD, I see some Fricks hams for sale, just thought I'd try small bone-in one, just kind of wondering if it will dry out after 10 hours in a crockpot, even on low. Nothing easie than throwing a roast or ham in the oven, along with a few side dishes.

Fricks is not a bad ham at all, i have had them many times. the ham wont dry out if you add a little moisture to the pot. i would put in a can of chicken brothe or vegetable broth. the ham will create it's own moisture as well. after slicing the ham put the slices back in the crock pot[in the juices] and keep it coverd between serving or tell the troops there to keep the pot covered after attacking the ham. good luck.

I am a dutch oven kind of guy, but same principle. This one will not win any culinary awards; did a whatever is in the house and no trip to the store bake today and it was tasty.

can of cheese soup

can of cream of chicken mushroom soup

2 cans of water and some cornstarch/ should have been milk

aprox 3 lbs of sliced potatoes

one onion

2 cups of shreded cheese

2 cloves garlic

pepper

1 lb. hamburger browned

essentially divided everything into thirds and made three layers and did a long slow bake at 325 until the inside potatoes were tender, but not mushy. Did not stir because i love the "crust" that forms on the outside!

full-27018-13524-2011_10_27_15_54_06_471

I was thinking about breakfast in a crock pot and was looking for a little advise from all you great cooks out there. I read about the layering of the ingreds. but do you think a egg bake type where everything is mixxed together would work? I would think you would have to really spray the pot well. Has anyone ever heard of or tried something like this? Thanks for all the good ideas, I will be trying a ton of them this winter.