• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Share Your Awesome Crock Pot Recipies???

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is how i make pot roast. it's simple but does the trick. in the crock pot:

4 lb chuck roast

i bottle of beer [not dark]

1 box lipton beefy onion soup.

pour the beer in the crock pot. put both packs of the soup mix in next.

mix the beer and mix some. put the roast in the crock pot and swish around the liquid a little bit and turn it over. put the lid on and set on high and should be ready to go in 6 hours or when the meat is seperated easily with a fork.

the beer, flavor from the roast, and soup mix make a great gravey. when the roast is taken out i pour the liquid from the crock pot in a seperate pot. big enough to make the gravey you will need. if more liquid is needed pour some more beer in there. thicken with corn starch or flour.

i usualy make this with mashed potatoes or my german dumplings that i have a reciepe for on another thread. and a vegi which i cook seperatly and my krout with bacon. good luck.

IMG_0502c.jpg

reinhard, I make a variation of this same thing and use either chuck roast for the meat, or pork butt.

The braising liquid is:

1 jar of the pickled pepperoncini with the juice

1 can of beef broth (chicken broth can be used too)

1 package Lipton onion soup mix

1 package of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix.

Depending on the type of vessel you are braising in you may need to add more broth, some water or beer until the level looks good, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the roast covered. Then just cook tender. These peppers are spicy, but not really hot and the vinegar in there helps tenderize the beef. It's good on hard rolls or flour tortillas.

You just judge the jar size by the amount of meat you have. I go heavier if I buy the rings instead of the whole peppers. Here are some batchs I made for work in my Nesco 18 Qt roaster. I used at least one large jar (and possibly a small one too). The whole peppers get real tender, and when I shred the beef it's very easy to pluck the stems off the peppers. When I make this amount, I take my crock pot for serving the shredded beef and pepper mix.

DSC06143JPGa.jpg

DSC02724a.jpg

ok, thanks, got it. think i'm going to buy a whole bnls chuck from sams. just not many sales on chuck roasts or pork butts lately. good luck.

That's the best plan. A chuck roll is the best value out there. At around 20 pounds each, you can get some great roasts, then grind the rest for your own burger.

DSC04415a.jpg

I make thirdeye's pepperoncini recipe often. Used chuck roast, venison roast and even bear a couple times. There never seems to be enough when serving a group. I've made 5 pounds of the stuff and watched it go in 20 minutes. It is fantastic. I do add a little onion and fresh garlic to the roaster also. I will even throw a half bottle of a nut brown beer in it for the braising liquid... this stuff is awesome! I watched one group of guys using the last few buns left to soak up the juice when there was no meat left in the cooker... it's that good! Juice sammies.... I think the whole peppers are waaaay better than the rings.

Good Luck!

Ken

Im looking forward to trying the peppercini, thanks for sharing!

We had a venison roast in the crock today with onions, taters, and carrots for supper. Usually put in mushrooms but forgot em...

Started it this am with the veggies, meat, and a package of "crockpot stew seasoning". A few hours before dinner I pulled out the meat and shredded it. Then I added a bunch of minced garlic, whole-grain mustard, some red wine and beer, also some "steak" seasoning, plus the meat back in. At this time I like to make sure all the meat is covered with juice. If I need liquid I like to use veggie or beef broth. Before we ate I thickened it ito a gravy... grin

full-1130-7167-004.jpg

ok, thanks, got it. think i'm going to buy a whole bnls chuck from sams. just not many sales on chuck roasts or pork butts lately. good luck.

I don't price meat all that often, but every Saturday at Byerly's & Lunds they have a 5 Buck Chuck sale. $4.99 for their premium chuck roasts that are usually around 2lbs.

Like I said, I don't price meat too often, but $5 for a good chuck roast seems like a decent deal. I don't buy much at those grocery stores, but if you live near one it may be worth it. It's only my and my fiance at my house, so we can eat for quite a while on a chuck roast. I can't wait to try some of these recipes.

Quote:
I don't price meat all that often, but every Saturday at Byerly's & Lunds they have a 5 Buck Chuck sale. $4.99 for their premium chuck roasts that are usually around 2lbs.

Like I said, I don't price meat too often, but $5 for a good chuck roast seems like a decent deal. I don't buy much at those grocery stores, but if you live near one it may be worth it. It's only my and my fiance at my house, so we can eat for quite a while on a chuck roast. I can't wait to try some of these recipes.

That is a good deal and will definately check it out. Chuck Roasts were once considered "cheap". Unbelievable whats happened to the price of those puppys. I'm one of those guys that loves looking at the Cub & Rainbow ads on Sunday to see which meat special will get me in the door. When chicken goes on sale for .99 a pound, my food saver gets a good workout. Rib Roast for 4.99? Give me a 15 lber..... and so on.

At Coborns in Mora, they sell 80/20 Ground Chuck every Friday for 1.99 Lb (3 lb chubs). Eat your heart out Costco (And I love Costco). When I head up there on Fridays, my car is on auto pilot to get what I need for cooking over the weekend.

2lb chuck roast

1can of Coke

1can Cream of mushroom soup

Makes a great sweet tasting beef roast I take out some of the juice toward the end and add flour mixed with cold water for an awesome gravy.

Also we buy whole pork loins and cut them into chops and roasts.

1 pork loin roast

1 quart of homemade kraut

Do not add the kraut till 1/2 hour before serving or it will get all mushy.

Everything cooks on low for 7 hours +

Great thread. I checked in here to see what people had for roast ideas...something different than the same ol', same ol'.

A while back I read about a Coca-Cola roast and decided to try that today. Can of Coke, packet of French Onion mix, and the roast. Got it going at 7:30 this morning and the house is smelling pretty good! We'll see how it turns out later today.....

Great thread. I checked in here to see what people had for roast ideas...something different than the same ol', same ol'.

A while back I read about a Coca-Cola roast and decided to try that today. Can of Coke, packet of French Onion mix, and the roast. Got it going at 7:30 this morning and the house is smelling pretty good! We'll see how it turns out later today.....

???? WELL ????

I was happy with the way it turned out and will be doing the coke roast in the future for sure. I've also heard of using Dr Pepper so that might be another twist worth trying.

I tried the pepperoncini recipe about this weekend. It was great, but a little on the salty side. I'm not sure if it was the beef broth or the pepperoncini juice that gave it the salt.

Beef base can be real salty. Good and too much sit on a slippery slope...

This is what we do down at the cabin start in the morning just before we head out on pontoon for day. Kind of like "kingr".

Easy Shredded Italian Beef Sandwiches.

3-4 lb roast (or what will fit in crock pot)

1 package of Italian salad dressing mix (dry)

Usually start out with frozen roast sprinkle seasoning on top of roast (we don't add any water either condensation) put on low for 8+ hrs (or when done at lake)break roast apart and place back in juices till ready to make sandwiches. Fork meat out on to buns of your choice. Can get messy. We will also do this just before leaving for work ready to shred when we get home.

I also tried the pepperoncini recipe this weekend. It was very good. My wife couldn't get enough of it. Wasn't too salty for me, I think I used a low salt broth though..The peppers were excellent chopped up on a hamburger bun with the meat and dipped in the juices..Best french dip ever smile

I tried Bluewater's breakfast recipe yesterday. I woke up at 3:30 AM and the smell of it made it all the way upstairs....my stomach was rumbling. I made it to 5:00 before I finally HAD to go downstairs to try it. Pretty good but I think I'll wait until the next time I need to get up at 5:00 on a Saturday to make it again.