• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumacraft vs. Lund?

ib_jigged

3. I like the narrow gunnels vs that of the Dominator. I feel less likely to go overboard when standing on the edge and relieving myself

"

Just FYI

That can be a fine$$$$$$...lol

spose to have a can or something and kneel down....lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Lund to be the best (fit and finish) but after comparing the two, I feel the Alumacraft almost is better in this aspect. Where the rear casting deck on the Lund hits the floor, it has two pieces that protrude out onto the floor vynil about 3/4" looks tacky and the edges of the dash are sharp plastic, where as the Alumacraft looks all finished with carpet in these areas.

One thing to keep in mind.. and maybe this theory holds no water because I haven't seen the Impact series first hand yet because they're new, is that the Impact series is intended to be a price point boat... so to expect the same fit and finish on an Impact as compared to a Tyee or Pro/V might not be a realistic expectation.

marine_man

I've got four years on a lund fisherman with a Johnson 140 hp(suzuki) and have had zero problems. I use it just about every summer weekend and then some. The only time I've needed to do is tighten 2 screws on one of the seats. I love the snap in carpet, I take it out before big fishing trips and leave it in the rest of the time. I also like the flip up seats in the back. I can't help you on the Alumacraft, but it also sounds like a good boat.

After some looking I found non-current 2010 Lund 1725 Rebel Sport with a 90hp Merc 4 stroke.

Hopefully this will be the boat to replace my current '82 16' Lund Pro Angler with a 50hp Merc tiller with tnt.

Thanks for all the input guys, much apprectiated!

First off, Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner are all under Brunswick Fortune 500 Company. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I used to own a 2008 Alumacraft 165 Navigator w/F75 Yammi. It was a very nice boat. Reliable motor.

What I liked:

- 2XB Hull made it very smooth

- Affordable #1

- Fuel efficient

- very stable boat for its size (16' 8")

- Comfortable seating for a small family

What I didn't like:

- 2XB Hull made the boat heavy and was slower then its competitors. I've top out at 34mph w/2 guys going with the wind. Averaged 32mph any given day. A 90hp will gain a few extra mph. (Still I think its very slow against other makes and models, they will hit low 40's)

- The boat was too small and not enough storage for me.

- Did not like the side rod storage. If you fish a lot and have lots of equipment, you will hate it. (Go with the Dominator-center rod storage-YOU WILL LOVE IT.)

- At 16' 8" it was too short to chop wakes with its dull keel and 75hp - 90hp wasn't enough power to take on wakes on choppy days.

- Boat was too light and walk-through windshields made it vulnerable to the wind.

I've learned a lot from that being my first boat. Since then I have gone to a 21' fiberglass bass boat. If you already own a boat you will know what you want and don't want on your next boat.

If you could afford a Ranger multi-species, I look into that. Ranger is a heavier boat with a lower profile which means you'll get blown around less. Center rod storage with plenty of storage compartments will make you feel at ease without having everything laying around. It will also ride better on choppy days.

Another boat I like the Lund Predator 1810 or 2010. Has a huge bow deck and jump seats for 4 passenger.

For Alumacraft, I say go with the Dominator. It is more of a fishing boat.

My advice is, get the biggest boat and motor you can afford, otherwise you will regret it in the future.

First off, Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner are all under Brunswick Fortune 500 Company. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Crestliner and Lund are owned by Brunswick. Not sure who owns Alumacraft.

Mike

Crestliner and Lund are owned by Brunswick. Not sure who owns Alumacraft.

Mike

3 years ago, the Alumacraft saleman told me it was. Then again, another salesman told me all Mercury Pro XS comes with sportsmaster gearcase. I wanted to laugh b/c he had no idea what he was talking about or thought I was spongebob.

I'm not so sure too but Alumacraft does have a different design from Lund and Crestliner with their 2XB Hulls--Heavier but smoother and solid ride for a much lower price.

Boat weight + horsepower.

For a 16' 8" boat, its too heavy for a 75 or 90hp to push it around. I would like to see a 115 on it.

And at 1050lbs with a walk-through windshields= no aerodynamics so it will get blown around.

So a heavier boat even with walk-through windshield will not get blown around as much.

Anyway, good luck.

BTW, there are plenty of 16.5 Tin/fiberglass boats that will do 40 +. Basstrackers, Lund Rebel 1625 SS w/F75 will touch 40mph, Xpress 16' crappie boats with 50hp and so many more.

Alumacraft is not with Lund and Crestliner,they are from Arkedelphia Arkansas and have just took in Express and Allweld boats.An American company for many years not sure how many years but i bought a 1954 15 feet 4 inch v bottom last summer nice tuff old boat!I like that it is a 15 feet 4 inch boat, because here in illannoy 16 footers and above have to pay water use tax 28 bucks for a 16 ft it gets higher the bigger the boat.

Sure there are aluminum boats that will do 40. My 1775 will do 42 with a 115 carbed merc. With me, all my stuff, a 9.9 kicker, and one live well full of water.

Just sounded funny. Too heavy and too light. What is that boat rated for? (bet you got more than a 75 on that 21 footer)

That does sound funny. I guess another way to put it is that 165 navigator is under power. It has a 91" beam, thats almost as wide as most or wider than most 17' - 21'. If I could do it again I would get the dominator. Alumacraft has the most boat for ur buck.

It is not all about price. There are other things that go into a boat purchase. Price is one but so is reliability, reputation, dealer support, warranty, style, fit and finish, and warranty support if and when you need it.

If it was only about price then Tracker should be the best selling boat in the country. They have great prices but as said thats just one aspect.

Not trying to start a this boat that boat, to each there own. But when you make a blanket statement that Alumacraft and Tracker are the best boat value that is your opinion and not nessasarily shared by all on the forums.

Again, you are welcome to your opinion its just not mine grin

Mike

First off, Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner are all under Brunswick Fortune 500 Company. (Correct me if I'm wrong) ...

FYI -

Brunswick Brands

Alumacraft is not owned by Brunswick, one of the reasons it isn't a rigmarole to get something other than a Mercury on an Alumacraft, unlike it can be with Lund and Crestliner since they joined the Brunswick family.

... And oh yea, get an Alumacraft grin

Yes Alumacraft is in Minnesota but they have a factory in Arkansas to, they make flatboats there , a friend of mine dad works there and has for 25 years ,my folks have a winter home a few miles down the road from it . he can get a real good deal on a scratch and dent one, but flatbottoms arent very practible on big water lakes there great on rivers though .

It is not all about price. There are other things that go into a boat purchase. Price is one but so is reliability, reputation, dealer support, warranty, style, fit and finish, and warranty support if and when you need it.

If it was only about price then Tracker should be the best selling boat in the country. They have great prices but as said thats just one aspect.

Not trying to start a this boat that boat, to each there own. But when you make a blanket statement that Alumacraft and Tracker are the best boat value that is your opinion and not nessasarily shared by all on the forums.

Again, you are welcome to your opinion its just not mine grin

Mike

I'm glad you can distinguished the difference between fact and opinions. It is obviously I'm writing my opinion and experience about these boats. Never would I write or comment based on an assumption, either I've owned them or had the chance to ride one. Just because these boats are price wise affordable does not mean their customer service and quality isn't there. They have all the same feature other boats have, great warranty, quality and customer service care for less the $$$$. And going from a cookie cutter to a hand made boat and comparing the two, I truly think mfg these days have great quality boats.

Yes, you do get what you pay for but just because you paid less doesn't mean your boat is going to sink faster, you're going to get stranded on the lake or catch less fish. Reliability and quality comes from ownership, if you don't take care of your boat/motor no surprise you're going to run into trouble later on. You don't winterize your boat correctly, you don't warm up your motor before WOT, you use cheap/old fuel and then you blame the mfg. Very typical and very common people do this everyday.

I wouldn't get either. I would go a little bit bigger and get one in the 17+ range, even if that means you have to buy used. You will thank me later. I would also go Alumacraft over Lund. They ride great and you have NO problem selling it if you wanted to.

Be sure to get at least 80% of your max hp too.