• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable treestands: climber? Climbing sticks?

jdime

I am looking into buying a treestand this year. I only hunt public land and I change spots a lot so I need a portable. I would love to hear some opinions on portable treestands. It seems like climbers would be the fastest.

Anyone have some input?

Trophyline Tree Saddle. They weigh about 4 pounds and are the most comfortable stand you will sit in. I used to have 3 or 4 hand on stands and then switched to a climber, the climber was definitely the way to go over the hang ons but was limited to the trees you can set up in. Once I bought my tree saddle I have probably used my climber maybe half a dozen times. The only downside to it is the strap in front of you if you have to switch to a shot on the other side it can be hard to get your bow over the strap without alot of movement but you get used to it after a couple of sits. But the benefits of it far outweigh the few disadvantages.

You should probably consider the types of trees you'll most likely be setting up in and will this be your ONLY stand you own? Hang-ons are the most versitile but I agree there are more convenient models to use.

As I've written several times before, as a truly mobile hunter, I prefer screw in tree steps over climbing sticks 9 times out of 10. Most others disagree though.

I'll be checking into the Tree Saddle and the various climbers for my next purchase though. I have enough hang-ons.

I went to climbers years ago so I did not have to put all the screw in steps in. I can get into a tree so much faster with a climber with no sweating.

There have been a select few times when I did use a hang on as I could not get set up exactly where I wanted to but this does not happen much.

A tree saddle has all the benefits of the hang on, but is much safer and comfortable. With the integrated lineman's harness you are NEVER disconnected from the tree as you climb/descend. 3 or 4 sticks, and a few screw in steps is all you need with the saddle, and you can hunt almost any tree. The screw in steps are for setting around the tree at your standing height--so you can walk around the tree and shoot or hide from any direction.

I was concerned about safety so I used a climber for many years. But I missed a lot of opportunities when the deer were behind or the rail was in the way. No longer with the saddle.

If you do get one, practice with it in the summer and learn all the shots. Once you figure it out you'll feel like a ninja.

I have a set of lone wolf climbing sticks. They are easy to install and take off on a tree, light weight, fit well on crooked trees, pack together nicely, and are very sturdy when placed. I also have an extension I bought so i could get a little higher. with the three that come in a set, you can get upto around 12 ft or so. With an additional extension you can maybe get upto around 16 ft or so. I would recommend them to anyone either for a stand you set and leave for a few weeks or for a stand that you set up and take down that day.

I use mine with a gorilla scout which is a great lightweight stand. I think both the sticks and stand weight about 15-18 pounds together, that is just a rough guess.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Also big game boss lite tree stands are light and easy to use. If your hunting in wisconsin then you may want the climber? just sayin because there are a lot of oak trees and those are easy to scale. Good luck and hope you enjoy your purchase

I'm eyeballin' a Lone Wolf Assault or with the Lone wolf climbin sticks. Anyone have experience with Lone wolf hang on products and climbin sticks?

I don't own them but they are next on my list to purchase, very high quality equipment that will last you a long long time.

I have two lone wolf stands love them. Easy to hang. You can use the hanging hook or put on the bracket. I have extra hooks and find trees I might use and have them ready to go for a quick move if needed. The sticks are great very east to use.

I also bought the Menards special climbing sticks and they are easy to setup and use if you want to save money. A lot easier to use the sticks when hanging a stand.

In my opinion, versatility is most important. I have spots where the best stand is a ladder stand, others where I use a hang on. Can't use a climber- too many branches and can't cut on public land. From my experience, the hardest thing is getting into the hang on. I am a female, so my attributes make screw in steps almost impossible - I have to almost wrap my hands around the tree to hang on and smash my "attributes" in the process....climbing sticks ? really? I don't know how you men with bigger feet get up on those little tiny things. Finally, I found something I really like through Sportsmans Guide. I forget the name, but they come in 4 ft sections (typical) the steps are each easy 9" and bend away from the tree, they attach with ratchet straps, and there is a thin metal rod that goes along the outside from step to step so if your foot slips it won't get off the step - nice safety feature. They can be carried very easily all 4 at once to the stand...I really really recommend them. They are rated to 300lbs too so bigger hunters can easily use them as well. I bought a 16ft set on sale last year for $39.99 marked down from $129.99 ...check out Sportsmans Guide...

I've hunted from many different stands but the older I get the harder it is setting them up. For years I would build permanent stands at six feet high. Then it went to ten feet, and now it is sixteen feet. All of a sudden it is illegal to have permanent tree stands. They are safer plus you can see where other hunters will be hunting.

I have both a lone wolf climber and a lone wolf hang on with sticks.

They are the way to go when i am on a new area, but mostly i have my stuff up and ready a head of time on private land.

If i had to choose just one stand, it would be the sticks and hang on. I can go up any tree and be ready to hunt in 10 min or so. I use 4 sticks and with a little spacing i get up to 20 feet very easy. They are also quiet and very easy to setup and take down.

My climber is maybe a tab faster, but you need the right tree for it. I use it a far amount, on trees that have been picked out in advance, or previous hunted spots. I have took the time to scout out state land and "make" a few climber trees where i want to hunt, that way its just to walk in and start up the tree.

I am a bit late in the game here but here is my two cents. I think that it is easier for me to have several less expensive stands than one really expensive one that may not work in all situations. I have a set of Rivers End sticks that I use with hang on. I have a steel climber. I have 2 inexpensive ground blinds. I also have a few steps if I find a really good spot that I can't use sticks for. I would still be willng to bet I have less invested in all my stands than one Lone Wolf. I am not knocking the expensive stands at all. They are lighter but I am willing to sacrifice weight to be able to have a stand for all situations. Stands always go on sale cheap right away and then again toward end of season. I do need to check out the ninja set up you guys mentioned.

The best one to get is what you plan to use it for...currently I have a summit and really like it for the comfort and ease of sitting and climbing but the little noise it does make kind of bothers me plus it doesn't collapse down enough and the cables always hang up on sticks and brush as you walk in. The Lone Wolf is the next best climber but from what I can see isn't the easiest to sit and climb like the Summit but I like the lower profile for getting in and out of the woods quickly and I only hunt 2-3 hours max when I do hunt so comfort takes 2nd in importance to weight and noise.

Thats my .02

mr

I hunt a lot of public land, move constantly, and don't leave my stand in the tree overnight very often. Have a set of climbing sticks, 30 or so screw in steps, 3 hang ons, 1 ladder stand, a tripod, and a climber. Haven't tried the tree sadle, guidos web, or the other similar stands.

Spend 90% of my time in the climber and my last 11 deer have been taken out of my climber. The thing I like best is the comfort, the fact I can change where I am facing or how high I am hunting easily, and feeling like I am not tied down and can move to another spot quickly if it isn't working out.

For me, as far as portability goes, it's like ice fishing out of a Otter sled / Fish trap vs fishing out of a perm.

i do have a ground blind and a couple of ladder stands, but want to buy a climber try that out! they are kinda pricey, but i think im going to look for a used one to save some money.

You wont be disappointed in a climber I can assure you that. bring a branch saw with you smile