• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What should I buy first

mnguy152

I bought a new used boat last summer. The problems I have with it that the trolling motor will quit afterrunning for awhile (maybe too hot)? And the depth finder goes crazy after awhile too. Both must be orginal with the boat a 94 lund> So was thinking to upgrade. What should I get first the trolling motor or depth finder. I do mostly trolling for walleyes and pike. Thanks

If the TM keeps quitting, but then starts working again, you might want to try heavier wire from battery to TM. Also check to make sure the circuit breaker is right size. Also make sure there is no corrosion on batt terminals or in the plug/TM connection. Maybe you are just using alligator clips, not sure... But I would for sure check that first, as you might not need a new TM.

But, agree with the others, TM first, as locators are a dime a dozen used or for cheap ones new that will tell you depth fine, then the sky is the limit for how much you want to spend smile

i personally wont even go on the water without a locater

you can always drift..use a drift sock to slow you..kick it in and out of gear

dropin a line in no mans land is'nt any fun to me at all

i'm really spoiled now i wont fish with out the chip either

mine gps quit late sept last yr and i gave it up for the yr

i tend to fish bigger water so a locater is a must to me

just my opinion

I'm with gregg52 and harvey lee. You can drift (or anchor, or troll with the gas motor) structure that you can see on your fishfinder, but with no sonar you're just trolling blind for any structure that's not visible above/ through the water.

But as was mentioned before, try to chase all the electrical demons out of the system before you drop your money on new units (troller or fishfinder).

I also agree with post above. Get locator first then trolling motor. Hard to rule out water that not so fishable if you don't know whats there. That is unless you fish the same waters and know where your going. In that case maybe trolling motor.

Mike

I would say the choice between the locator and trolling motor comes down to how you fish. If you are a visual guy who looks for places he can see, I would go with the trolling motor.

If you are the type of guy who looks for deep transition points and deep fish, get the locator. If I were going to get a locator, I would make sure to get one with GPS included.

Thanks think i might go with a df i do have a lake master chip for my garmin. Anybody use the Garmin gps depth finders before or heard if they are good or bad? I thinkthe main problem with the tm is the motor gets too hot and shuts off. but will try the connections and maybe run some new wires and or new connectors.

Well problem doesn't happened right away just seams like after a few hours of fishing. Then it quits, shut it off for awhile then try it again and it works. So thats why I think it is more of a motor problem than a Battery issue. But when ice gets off I plan on trying some of the tips on the connection first.

The TM issue sounds like a bad connection or undersized wires creating a heat build up as you use it and shutting the unit down. Back then if original wires are still in it was wired for a 12 volt motor, a 24 volt requires much heavier wire to pull the correct current.

The TM issue sounds like a bad connection or undersized wires creating a heat build up as you use it and shutting the unit down. Back then if original wires are still in it was wired for a 12 volt motor, a 24 volt requires much heavier wire to pull the correct current.

Are you sure about that?