• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads

i'm shooting a parker wildfire xp, 60 lb draw, 300 fps IBO. Beman Hunter ICS 400 arrows, 8.4 GPI - 29 inch draw, 100 gr points. I figure my arrows are ballpark about 380 grains (don't have a scale). Don't know how much speed I'm losing off that IBO... ballpark 275 fps maybe?

I'm thinking I don't want to chance mechanical heads not opening on impact

i'm shooting a parker wildfire xp, 60 lb draw, 300 fps IBO. Beman Hunter ICS 400 arrows, 8.4 GPI - 29 inch draw, 100 gr points. I figure my arrows are ballpark about 380 grains (don't have a scale). Don't know how much speed I'm losing off that IBO... ballpark 275 fps maybe?

I'm thinking I don't want to chance mechanical heads not opening on impact

275....maybe? Those are heavy arrows, but american made! you could switch to Carbon Express, and honestly gain 15-20fps right out of the box...

I am shooting close to your set-up (60lb, 28" draw and I do shoot a 350 grain arrow with the Rage 2 Blade) I am shooting 248fpm. Had it Chrono'd. By the way the IBO on my bow is 310.

Anyways I had no issue with the Rage opening and blowing through a nice Doe last year at 19 yards. Broke rib on the way in and out...

thanks for the responses guys. Reading the reviews on the Rages, sounds like they either work amazingly well, or not at all. At this point I figure I'd rather take all-around, consistent B+ performance from a fixed-blade than a mixture of A+ and F's from a mechanical.

The best broadhead is the one you can put in the rib cage! I'm impressed with the many good selections available. A Rage sure worked well on the buck I shot last year, a bad shot and it ran for about ten seconds and dropped dead, never got farther than 40 yards from me. Can't say another one in the same spot wouldn't have done as well but I like the large wound channel a Rage makes.

Rage 2 Blade here.

2 deer have been harvested with them for me. Gapping wound channels and fly straight for me.

Most important thing for me they are sharp and they hit where you are aiming them.

Confidence in a broadhead is a must, if you have any doubts in the heads you are using.....change.

G5 Strikers. They fly very close to field tips. Shot Rage 2 one year, and will never use them again. They didn't penetrate like a fixed blade. Shot a big doe through the shoulder blade at 8 yards and never found her. Good blood trail though. Using a 57# Fred Bear TRX400 & Maxima Hunter arrows.

G5 Strikers here also. 1 doe and 1 buck so far and both pass thrus with very good blood trails. If your looking for a fixed blade, you should definately consider them. I like that I can replace the blades and sharpen the tip myself. Fly very good, just like my field tips.

That being said, I gave them to my son who will be bow hunting for the first time this year. I was actually thinking of trying the rage 2 blade, but I'm on the fence about it because I only have my draw weight at 55 lbs. I will probably get another pack of Strikers.

Nels

i personally like the spitfire pros. they always leave an impressive hole ( 1 1/2 in. hole not a slice) last year i switched to rage and had a bad experience. good entry (about 3 1/2 inch slice!)and exit wound right benind the shoulder but virtually no blood,all the blood was sealed inside, but i was lucky enough to find the animal. have a friend had same thing happen but wasnt fortunate enough to find his. this could be the result of shooting them on the ground i have yet to see the results first hand from a tree, looks like the guys on tv dont have a problem. i dont want to make them sound terrible obviously enough people have great success with them. I am going to switch back to the spitfires but i think im going to try the new MAXX i have also been looking at the new phathead SOB's. 2c

full-10770-12306-014.jpg

Heres a pic of a rage 2 blade that I pulled out of the buck I shot last season. Deployed just as it was in the body cavity when I removed it. The piece of arrow is shorter as it broke when I removed it but was about 8 inches long. No noticeable wound on the deer. I suspect poor shot choice as it appeared to have entered from above by the base of the neck near the shoulderblades. I think the most important point is make good shots and most any broadhead will do the job but poor shot choices can result in lost and wounded animals. I shoot G5 strikers and also like the slick trick mags as well. Had pass throughs on elk and deer with these heads and they fly well from my setup.

Tunrevir~