• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads

Rage 2 blade are hard to beat - big holes, good blood trails and they are probably the most forgiving broad head on the market when it comes to having your bow tuned. They'll shoot just like your field tips in most conditions.

However, they are spendy at $40/three pack. I've used them the past 3 years with great success.

I started out bow hunting with Thunderhead 100 broad heads and didn't mind them either. Less cost per, but they require more bow adjustments to fly true. Montech and Muzzy also produce good products.

I shot one with the 3 blade rage this year and had a gret blood trail and fast recovery. I have been a fixed blade guy for years and decided to try the rage not 100% if I will shoot them again next year did't like how they kept opening in the quiver and not sharp enough out of the package however they fly great and the turkey I shot last spring it almost took it's head off.

I have been using NAP Spitfires for 3 or 4 years now. Some guys hate mechanicals and some love them, its all a matter of personal prefernce I guess. The spitfires are the only mechanicals I have shot and I have never had a problem with them and until I do I will keep using them. Never shot the Rages but have heard good things about them, the only thing that scares me about them is the O-ring to keep the blades closed during flight but I guess I havent heard many problems with that either. I just like the mechanicals better because you just screw them on and they shoot exactly like your field points without any adjusting, and as long as you buy a brand with a good reputation like Rage or Spitfire you shouldnt have to worry about the horror stories of them not opening on impact or not having a good blood trail. Every broadhead will have their positives and negatives just do some homework on a few different kinds that get your interest and maybe even shoot a few different kinds, like Archerysniper said its all about what you feel confident shooting with.

Rage 2-Blade are on the end of the arrows I shoot and have taken a few deer with them, have not had an issue with the opening of the head or recovery of the deer.

My wife shoots the Muzzy MX4 and it shoots well with her poundage.

I do not have her shooting mechanicals due to the poundage she is pulling, she would probably loose some kinetic energy upon impact causing less penetration.

Whatever you shoot, just make they are sharp and fly true.

I am looking to start bowhunting next year and I need to know what broadheads to get. What do you prefer and why?

I have a mix of broadheads that I use for different situations. Most any of the big name heads will do fine - that's how they got to be a big name.

I have:

Shuttle T-locks for longer range stalking shots. They are quiet and have less wind deflection on arrows with blazer vanes. They slice through a deer like butter and seem very durable.

Muzzy 3 blade from the past but they shoot like lazers on my aluminum xx78's with feather fletching. Easily re-sharpened.

Thunderhead 3 blades because they were cheaper and fly fine from my set up.

All these are good choices for shooting through mesh on a blind or where some light grass might interfere with the shot.

My mechanicals are:

NAP Spitfires - they have performed very well for me but you should throw them out after one use, not just replace the blades. The ferrules bend.

Rage 2 blade - I tried them but they are noisy and hit low with my set up for some reason. I haven't hunted with them yet.

When shooting a deer with a arrow the key is to have an entrance hole and an exit hole(pass-through) This is extremely important in blood-trailing the animal. A deer shot perfectly with any broadhead without and exit hole can bleed to death enternally in a matter of 30 seconds, but we all know how much land a deer can cover in 30 seconds and if there is no blood on the ground to track him, your SOL. I am to the point where I do not want to take any chances and go with fixed blade broadheads and spend the time to tune them properly so they are accurate. Just watch any of the shows on t.v. and you'll see how the pro's shoot a deer and the arrow is barely penetrating and looks like it's ready to pop back out of the deer. They may find the deer, but seems like most never get a pass-through. Boils down to personal preference and I am not taking a chance of losing a deer if I can prevent it, been there done that a few too many times. Alot of guys will say it's more important to hit where you want and that's why they shoot a mechical. I say why not take the time to tune your equipment properly and not have to worry about penetration. To each there own, just hate to see people learn the hard way like I did.

Where's your constructive advice on the stated question from the guy? Sorry if my post ruffled your feathers,not trying to sound like a know-it-all, just trying to help a guy out. Thought that's why people come here???

Matchset has been on the forum for some time and we've debated the broadhead issues to death so for some, there's nothing they can say they haven't already.

Fins-n-Feathers is a new member and probably doesn't know about the search feature or hasn't paged through the forum to dredge up the old discussions. No matter, we can all give our reasons for our choices.

Who knows, some preferences may have changed for people by the end of the 2010 season?

Welcome to HSO FnF! Hope we can help you out!

So I will give my personal preferance. This is the broadhead that I filled my quiver with for my 2008 MN moose hunt knowing if I didn't hit heavy bone I would get a pass through. I started shooting slick tricks a few years ago and fell in love with them scary sharp out of the package and will hold up to anything you can shoot with them I also shoot them out to extreamly long ranges with no problems.

my reply was about the topic, not your post Bustemup! smile no offense taken.

and in all honesty, i'm just reading your post for the first time right now. laugh

My setup includes Rage 2-blade expandables.

why? they shoot extremely tight groups out of my z7, and their entrance holes are amazing large.

and i like the point wanderer made about the fact that some opinions may have changed now that bow season is over.

imo, i might not have recovered my christmas day buck if i wasn't shooting a rage. i had an arrow tipped with a 100gr muzzy in my quiver that day too. what i'm saying is, on a mature animal the thick hair, hide, muscle and fatty tissue is so immense late season that it does reduce penetration compared to a mid september pass thru. the entrance hole is what aided me in my recovery that day 2c

I shot the rage 2 blade and didnt care for them now i shoot magnus stinger buzzcuts with bleeder blades and they have worked great for me on deer, a bear, and turkeys (the only thing i liked the rage for is shooting turkeys because they wont pass through)

My two favs are the Rage 2 blade and the Muzzy 3 blade. The Rage shoots very accurately and leave huge holes. The Muzzy is about as simple and rock solid as a broadhead as you can get.

I do feel very confident I could kill a deer with any broadhead on the market, shot placement is far more important than the broadhead you choose. Remember that when you are spending many hours practicing in the off season and don't stop shooting once the season starts.

Yup this topic will always come up on the Archery Forum the only one I haven't seen is what kind of arrow with the broad head and which we prefer Aluminum or carbon? I personally prefer fixed blades, However, I am going to buy some Rage blades and try them this year with my new bow and debate which I like better! Before I was shooting Thunderhead 3

I shot thunderheads for a number of years, then switched to Magnus stingers and buzzcuts. I cant say a bad thing about either of them. The buzzcust had amazing penetration but lacked bloodtrails it seemed. This year I shot Slick Trick Razor Tricks and I dont see myself switching anytime soon. Great heads.

im going to say this....it depends on you and your setup. remember mechanicals are just that, mechanical. They need to open, something i dont want to have going through my head just before i release. Do you have the KE to open a large mechanical head, i dont know. if your smaller framed shooting a low poundage bow u want a cut on contact head for deaper penetration. that said i shoot a slick trick magnum and dont see myself switching anytime soon.