• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gogebic reports?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out the past 2 weekends, did pretty good on eyes and ended up with a 37.5 inch pike. The perch were finicky and only managed to land a few and nothing close to the 2lb mark, but with the springs in the middle of the lake I didn't want to push my luck with all the rain.

Thanks Perchking.

A group of us is trying to decide where to go late Jan or early Feb. I would like to try Gogebic but some of the guys want to stay close to home and hit Mille Lacs.

The perch still running a decent average size?

Its a 6 hour drive from Minneapolis vs less then 2 for Mille Lacs.

Matt,

there is now good black ice after that thaw. It is about 6-8 inches with no snow, this is not normal but you can actually drive a 2 wheel drive wheeler out there right now, which I am assuming will change soon when the snow hits this weekend.

I wouldn't drive a truck and plow on that lake with a wheelhouse, the ice is too iffy. I think age is starting to affect my judgement in life. Thinking about things we did when I was younger is starting to scare me.

Yes we did get pounded with snow, 12+ in the LG area. the ice is good but there is no way you will be able to get a truck out there. I would even question a wheeler at this point unless you have tracks. A snowmobile is the way to travel on LG. It is also against local ordinances to plow a road on LG, though it would be nice. The lake is used as a snowmobile route and it is not uncommon to see sleds hitting 100+mph on that lake. I would be an ugly site if someone hit a snowbank at that speed. Other than that, the perch are picking up and the day walleye bite is also starting to look better. Good luck to all...

PK

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Is there any place to fish that can be accessed easly by foot, or is a snowmoblile the only way?

Joe,

Yes, there are some spots that you can walk out to fairly easily. Alot of the places people fish historically and are considered "good" areas are those that can be easily reached imo... Alot of guys fish out in front of the Gogebic Lodge, East shore launch, and Fishtales Resort...

You can park (free) at the launch or take a chance and park in the resort parking lots too. If you choose to park in the resort lots, it's obviously a good idea to patronize their place for lunch or a drink afterwards. All 3 of the above are about 1/4 mile +/- walk out...

Report you ask? Well, I've yet to get out this year but am planning for this upcoming Saturday. Lot's of snow lately (probably 40" in the last 2 weeks)!

the bite I heard was pretty bad last weekend, I will be hitting it this weekend so I will let you know. I am living in Rhinelander now, we should hit some Onieda, Vilas county lakes some weekend. I think I am heading to Clear Lake tonight just south of Hazlehurst, been hearing of some good eyeballs being hooked as of late.

Hi everyone, I cant wait to move back to the midwest so I can try for some of these giant perch. My wifes family has a place in Ironwood and I was up there for a week in early June. I fished Gogebic every day and loved it. I never found any perch, but I really nailed the walleye. On the last day of the trip, I contacted a real estate agent and ended up buying a lot on the east shore. I have about 8 more years till I retire from the Navy. Once retired, Lake Gogebic is where I plan on calling home. I cant wait!!

Perch fishing from what I have been hearing has been pretty slow but is starting to pick up. With my new position I cant get out like I am used to. My wife keeps telling me, go and hit Gogebic, I am saving all of those "Free tickets" for Mid Feb and all of March. Where on the east shore did you buy? At the beginning of walleye season, you do just as good from the docks on the east shore and others do in boats. I personally would only buy on the east shore, way bigger lots plus better structure.

Great Job and thanks for serving our Country.

We bought on the east shore just a little bit south of Tod Borseth's house. The lot is totally wooded, so its hard for me to point out any landmarks. There is a small cabin just north of us and I guess the property directly to the south of us is owned by a logging company. My wife and I also loved how deep the lots were on the east shore. The lot has 125' of lake shore frontage and is 500' deep. I was amazed at how cheap the lake lots were selling for. I cant wait to get back up there.

I am heading out this weekend and I am assuming it will be wet. I had a friend out running tip-up's in a tee-shirt on Wed. It should firm up this weekend, I will be heading on both Sat and Sun. Typically when the temps heat up, so does the perch fishing...