• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled

chrisonice

lettuce pickles or tomatos? if you find a perticular model you like goodle, bing yahho or search the heck out of it. find the flaws (if any) when you go to buy it, look for those possible flaws. also if when your searching the sled and you see multipule hits about an engine not working right or something breaking walk away, better yet run :P

take your time find something nice and that you like you dont have to buy the first one that catches your eye. it will also be cheaper and save you alot of fowl language if you take your time (:

if i were to buy a sled i would be looking at

1, pro x 600 or bigger

2, skidoo rev 600

3, polaris iq 440

4, artic cat f6

Looking to buy a sled, which make and model should I look at?

Well over the years I have had:

1 Rupp

1 Yam

3 Pola

4 Ski doos

I fried pistons on 3 of the 4 Ski doo's so now I am a Polaris guy which I have now owned the longest without any motor issues. So, that's my 2 C. wink

But get ready because now here cames thoughts from all the Skiter guys!! laugh

First thing you need to do is write down what you want to use the sled for, then start looking around to see what models fit those needs. It is easy to get sidetracked when looking for a sled. Another thing to consider when choosing a brand is to look for local dealers and service. If you plan on doing maintenance/repair yourself its no big deal, but if you will need a dealer it is nice to have one available nearby.

Without knowing your use I would go with a 2010 Arctic Cat M1000!!! grin

If I were buying a good all around sled for MN, I would be getting another 06+ Skidoo 600 SDI Renegade.

How big is yur wallet!!??

I could pick one that costs more then our first childs birth!!

But then, they grow up faster then the sled would go.....

So here I am w/ a couple of older ones & just drooling!! frown

I just picked up a Yamaha SRX.....and yeah...it probably won't be the best for ice fishing but none the less....I am hooked on this trail riding.

One thing to toss out, my insurance agent when I called about sled insurance before he even asked what size it was....he stated "I hope it isn't 700 and above". I ride a 600 size and it has WAY more power than I know what to do with it now, but in time......

I am not partial to brands, but the sled that always sticks out in my mind as bullet proof and somewhat of a "do all" sled that is fun...is the polaris indy 500.

That was my backup choice if this one didn't manifest.....in the mean time...I will hit the trails and hope I can get my wife to swallow the pill to like sledding so I can get her more of a trail sled.

I have had issues with my 600 triple 2 out of the past 5 years. I would stay away from the triples. The 500's are dependable from what everyone I know with them says.

I would like to find a good 500 touring in the late 90's area but they are hard to find in my neck of the woods.

I would look at some of the Arctic Cat Batteryless EFI Models, they have made the Batteryless EFI since late '97 so you have lots of sleds to choose from and no carbs to worry about wink

Pantera, Panther and the T660's are really nice and offer large carrying racks on the back. Lots of motor options from Fan to Liquid, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, even remote start on some models. On some of the Panteras, you will have a battery but the EFI runs independent of the battery so if the battery is dead, you can still pull start the sled and be on your way, the battery is only there for the starter.

You can find some ZL's for less, you'll find 500, 600 and 700cc engines. Any one of those could have EFI.

Fans are good too, nothing wrong with them, Cat has 340, 370, 440 and 570cc engines, no EFI on those though.

EFI is very trouble free, whether it's 30 above or 20 below, 2 pulls and you're usually up and running...... just walk away and let it warm up.

Mike

I've had great luck with Polaris and Ski Doo. I've owned more Ski Doo's than Polaris, and if I were buying new or near new, I'd buy Ski Doo. If I were buying early 90's, I'd buy Polaris. I would recommend visiting the websites: DooTalk, HCS (hardcoresledder), ArctiChat and ask as many questions as you can. The polaris 500 and 600 motors set the standard in the 80's and 90's. I know that Yamaha made some really nice sleds in the mid to late 90's, however I don't know anything about their newer stuff. I'm sure you can find a really good sled from all the manufacturers, just do a lot of research at the aformentioned sites and you should do well. Good luck.