• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alone in the wilderness.

croixflats

Who is mesmerized by this show that PBS shows as part of their curriculum .

A man builds a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness on his own, with help with drop offs, and documents this, it is astounding!!!!

I will watch this show in segments and be immersed with it and loose time every time it is broadcast. Weirdly I have the CD of the show next to the TV on dvd but I still watch it on the tube .

I cant remember the name of it but theres a second film about this guy too. There is something appealing about living such a simple life in the woods but at the same time you cant mate with caribou if you know what I'm saying.

Who is mesmerized by this show that PBS shows as part of their curriculum .

A man builds a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness on his own, with help with drop offs, and documents this, it is astounding.

I will watch this show in segments and be immersed with it and loose time every time it is broadcast. Weirdly I have the CD of the show next to the TV on dvd but I still watch it on the tube .

croix, plus one. I have the CD, watch it on TV when on and have the book and read it 2-3 times already. Another movie I like more for the scenery then anything is "Never Cry Wolf" It's now hard to find a copy of that one and I had to get it off the net. When is it on the tube again?

I cant remember the name of it but there's a second film about this guy too. There is something appealing about living such a simple life in the woods but at the same time you cant mate with caribou if you know what I'm saying.

I would guess your probably referring to silence and solitude. Both are great personal documentaries about Richard Proenneke who is and probably will be forever an idol in my mind. I have read the book more than any other and to think how many of us could be that self sufficient for 30 years??? As much as I would like to be I bet I couldn't.

does anyone know when this show is going to be on and what time? i would love to see this. there was a guy who lived in canada on white otter lake. i think they called him the white otter hermit. he built a house on the lake all by himself and lived there alone back in the 1930's i believe. they found his body one spring tangled up in fishing line near shore. he is buried next to his house. they called it the white otter castle. it still stands there empty in the wilderness and i have been there a few times. that would have made a great show also. thanks. good luck.

I have caught bits and pieces of it in the past, and watched the last half the other night. Great story of a slighty eccentric guy who documents every aspect of his life via camera and diary of his life. Very interesting.

I love in the book how he talks in detail of how he builds things with the simple tools he has. Make me feel fortunate to have a tablesaw when he talks of ripping a log down into 6-8 pieces and it takes the whole morning grin

The book is called "One Man's Wilderness" for anyone who cares.

I gotta check this out! Too bad the ol man didn't put all this editing together to make some money. After all that hard work he put through he donates everything to the national park and than some other guys make his movie add sound effects and make a profit frown hes probably rolling over in his grave!

my take on that was when he's filming the shore ect. from the canoe he himself is doing the filming and while he's paddling the camera is on a tri-pod. i have seen a two part show once on cable where a guy went to a canadian lake somewhere [dropped off by a plane] for one month to see if he could survive on his own and he had a camera also and filmed it by himself and i just wondered how many batteries he took with him. just curious. this was back in the 60's and i'm sure the camera was larger and bulkier. this guy sure was in shape and in his 50's. cant wait to see the whole film. good luck.

thank you for the preview. captured my attention every second. will order right away. how did he power that camera? if the answer is on the film i will wait to see for myself. thanks again. good luck.
RH1 do you still have a video tape player? Ive got Alone in the Wilderness and Alaska Silence and Solitude on Video tape I can send you. I had some DVDs made up for myself when I first got the set..

I cant remember the name of it but theres a second film about this guy too. There is something appealing about living such a simple life in the woods but at the same time you cant mate with caribou if you know what I'm saying.

Richard Proenneke died April 28, 2003.

Bob Swerer produced the video "Alone in the Wilderness" in 2003. Bob edited more of Richard's previously unseen footage to create this film of Richard and his adventures in Alaska.

Bob Swerer produced the video "Alaska Silence & Solitude" in 1998. In 1997 Bob Swerer and Bob Swerer Sr flew to Twin Lakes to visit with Richard Proenneke and explore the Twin Lakes region.

Bob Swerer produced the video "The Frozen North" in 2006. Richard Proenneke shot over 3000 feet of 8mm movie film. Bob edited the film and added sound to create this fascinating film of one man living alone in the Alaska wilderness.

Sam Keith, a close friend of Richard Proenneke, wrote "One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey" based on Richard's journals and photographs in 1973. His book begins when Richard flies into Twin Lakes May 17, 1968. It ends on September 25, 1970 when Richard returns to Iowa to spend the winter.

The National Park Service published "More Readings from One Man's Wilderness" in 2005. John Branson, another friend of Richard Proenneke, continues where Sam Keith left off, using excerpts from Richard's journals to describe the Twin Lakes area and Richard Proenneke.