• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you do to get out ouf the photo rut funk.

Paul

So, I have been in this nasty funk for a while now and having a hard time getting my camera going. I am constantly on the look out for what would be a great image(s) but when it comes time to click, I am just not interested. I know everyone goes through this occasionally, what do you do to rid yourself of the photo rut funk?

Help please, I am begging. LOL well not really, but am looking for some ideas.

Hit the road. I don't mean a 50 mile drive. I mean, take a trip for the purpose of capturing great images that you can't get around home. I try to do this a few times a year, and I normally come back satisfied and sometimes even elated.

Funny,

I was thinking about this and the very first thing that came to mind was a road trip.

So, I have been in this nasty funk for a while now and having a hard time getting my camera going.

I hear you Paul. Other than a couple of vacations,I have not shot just for my own enjoyment much at all in the past year. Heading to Mexico this weekend,so maybe the creative juices will start to flow.

I'm in the same boat. I just can't work an up any interest in taking pictures or doing anything about the backup in my workflow. I have a hard time finding anything interesting in the winter.

This happens to me off and on and what I found to be helpfull is to look at the work of other photographers that I admire. It gets my juices flowing again.

Quote:
I go on a road trip with Ken. wink

It can, at times, be a problem. Many times it will be a little thing that will kick start the process - an unusual bird at the feeder, a bunny in the driveway - but other times I have to provide the push. A road trip is a great way to get it going - particularly if I have a subject I'm looking for like a moose or wolves. Steve and I are always looking for them. But even if we don't see our main goal, plenty of other things will present themselves along the way.

For me I look to something I haven't tried photographically or something that gets me out of my comfort zone, sound triggers, lights whatever. There are a lot of interesting things to experiment with, timed exposures, remote triggering, different style of photography. Remember the monthly challenges we did? Do your own monthly challenge, expand your photographic horizons.

Then there are times I just have the camera with me, nothing in mind at all. If something strikes I pick it up and snap a shot, if not...so be it. Processing is another way to get out of a funk. Go back to old files try a new style of processing. Think of a processing style that requires you to get a specific shot.

Sometimes it is fine to just put the camera down and don't even worry about using it. You may find yourself wanting to find something to photograph in short order! Like everything in life you will have different feelings about photography at various times of the year, day or the month. Not to worry, it will come back.:)

Here's a slightly different approach - I put away the DSLR, grab the "point and shoot" and take a kid outside - for a walk, to a park or just to play. Seeing the world from an innocent uncluttered point of view and without any worry about camera settings, etc is rejuvenating for me...

Yellowhead, clubs are great for some, not so great for others. Good idea to join up with one. Even if you don't have a great time in a group setting (not assuming it'll be that way, you understand), odds are pretty good you'll find someone you like to spend time with, and then you two can go out and shoot together.

Ken and I just sort of fell into it. First met shooting Ely HS sports in the same gym about 5-6 years ago, ended up being friends, pards on photo outings, and now, with the nature photo workshops, business partners.

Oh, and if you're in a rut, I've heard that nature photography workshops or guided photo excursions can recharge your inspirational batteries and clean dusty emotional sensors. gringringrin

Sorry, couldn't resist that one, folks. whistle

Yellowhead, shoot me an e-mail, would you? I have some info you might be able to use (no, not workshops or excursions, just some info). smile