• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glaucomys sabrinus

...more commonly known as the Northern Flying Squirrel. (or Rocket J. Squirrel)

In addition to the usual suspects, these flying squirrels kept us entertained at the cabin last week. There were 5 to 7 at a time on the bird feeders on the deck if I didn't get them inside by 5:30!

"if I sit real still you can't see me..."

1093840126_mkqsb-L.jpg

"dang, she saw me - I gotta get outta here!"

1093840433_8TbNK-L.jpg

Love those guys, Jackie! Thanks for sharing the pics. At the cabin near Bemidji, we get them coming into the bird feeder at night most often from mid September into November. My mate, Lisa, has gotten them to lick peanut butter from her finger.

We get them in good numbers all at the same time in autumn. Reckon they are a single family group, with the younguns full sized.

Thanks everyone. They were definitely entertaining. We'd watch them attack the sunflower seed and suet and after I finally took the feeders in they kept coming back, running around on the deck and railings. One even climbed around on the screens for seveal minutes. We've known they were around for several years but have only caught a glimpse now and then. I understand their biggest predator is the great horned owl - which we heard a lot this fall as well. In fact when I was out taking pictures I was listening to the owls as well. Ahh, the cycles of nature!

They are very entertaining creatures, but nothing is more destructive if they get inside the cabin though. frown

We have certainly considered that! That's why I was trying to get the feeders in before they got too used to using the deck as a feeding station, just couldn't resist watching for awhile and taking some pictures smirk