• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery with Blaze Orange.

chris63

Not a problem at all I would be more worried about a fellow hunter seeing you than a deer. If you are concerned about the orange wear the blazed orange camo and like always keep your movements slow and to a minimum.

Even during the rifle seasons I have had deer walk within 15ft of me. They got that close because, A. I was draining the bladder, while standing on the ground next to a tree. B. Didn't see them until they were that close, I was watching another trail. C. Rifle was under my arm, had BIG gun in hands grin. But I still shot the lead doe. then went back to business.

You are legal with just a vest and hat if you're really worried about it. Legal is at least 50% of your upper body covered and your head. Your arms and legs can still be camoed and you can wear a face mask if you like.

That's typically how I'm dressed for firearms any way sans the face mask. Which really made me wonder why I feel the need for one during archery season when there's usually more cover and more relaxed deer. Many of my firearms deer have been taken down within 30 yards by bullets.

Yeah, it can be.

I did have hunter walk by me yesterday while I was in the tree with my rifle. He looked to be headed into to the creek bottom I was watching so I had to whistle at him 3 times before I could get his attention. He was a little embarassed and apologized. He told me where he was headed so I knew and he was aware of what I was watching and gave a good bearth. It all worked out.

So here's a question, if you were wearing a blaze camo vest that was 50% blaze over your normal camo, would that be considered legal or do your sleeves count into that coverage as well? You'd be under 50% blaze if the sleaves were plain camo in that case. I was just about to pick up a vest for this weekend so I'm hoping to get that answer before I get the wrong one!!

Ya, what you wear don't matter! I have hunted with blue jeans and a miller lite blue sweat shirt on and still had deer come within ten yards during archery season! However, I don't ever hunt without a face mask or camo paint for my face

So here's a question, if you were wearing a blaze camo vest that was 50% blaze over your normal camo, would that be considered legal or do your sleeves count into that coverage as well? You'd be under 50% blaze if the sleaves were plain camo in that case. I was just about to pick up a vest for this weekend so I'm hoping to get that answer before I get the wrong one!!

You sleeves DO NOT count in the amount of Blaze Orange required. It is your main upper torso that needs to have at least 50% blaze per square inch, which is what the regs read. So yes, a vest makes you perfectly legal.

My understanding is in deers vision, they are color blind compared to human eyes. They have eyes like walleyes that are made for night vision and low light. So deer see blaze orange as white. So don't worry about blaze orange, just your movement and scent! 2c

Blue and yellow also. I don't remember everything in the article I read but my main take away was deer do not see all the same colors that we do and have way better night vision. It was all very interesting but it didn't change the way I hunt.

Pulled this out of a Field and Stream article: Deer sense colors toward the violet end of the spectrum, so they can see blues and probably even ultraviolet (UV) light. Deer show a slight sensitivity to yellow, but tests indicate that green, orange, and red appear to them as shades of gray. The article also said the UV part was questionable . . .

so lesson learned . . .the old guys who use to wear those red or green wool outfits were onto something. . . nothing like experience . . .movement is probably the most critical factor . . .and for those who have been there . . .should have driven a blue vehicle.

Notice how the whole UV thing has blown by? A few years ago, people were obsessed with it. Ads for UV killer showed hunters glowing in the woods. C'mon! I mean, I'm sure UV brighteners do accentuate colors, but making you glow to the deer? Sounds like a way to sell special detergent, hunting clothes and UV killer spray. If you're really concerned about it and use regular detergent to wash your hunting clothes before airing them out, just use cheer. It doesnt have any brighteners. I read this in an article while investigating the whole UV scam and confirmed it via the packaging. So I'm good regardless. : )