• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lindy Rattlin Flyers

I used these last winter for walleyes on the St. Louis River and absolutely pounded the walleyes with them. Used the 1/4 oz. in Rainbow color all winter never took it off. This year they came out with a couple new hot looking colors that I just purchased at Marine General in Duluth. They should be just as good. Check them out in the stores near you and hold on tight because the walleyes love them. Oh and crappies too. wink 5 stars in my book. full-831-3154-rattlnflyer_4_rainbow.jpg

Hey Jim thanks for putting up some pictures of them babies. That purple smelt may turn out to be my not so secret weapon this year. I know that Tullibee will be awesome on Rainy Lake this winter.

full-831-3196-100_1032.jpg

This one was the average size of the many nice walleyes I caught on these flyers last winter. You can see dinner in the upper right hand corner this one was released.

Juan you have that rattle problem at times too huh? I probably have a dozen of the horthland rattle spoons with the rattles gone. The new ones arent nearly as bad but they were terrible for a while there. I do still use them too. Like everything else in my boxes they all have their time and place. Options always make you a better fisherman.

do you guys find yourself tipping these with live bait or just fishing them plain? always do a little of both myself and catch fish both ways.

I've caught stream trout on them tipped with waxies and caught walleye plain and with a minnow head or tail. I wonder how the minnow head affects the action (?), so found myself using the tail more.

I always tip with something for added scent and something to target.

Depending on species it could be waxies, spikes, whole minnows, heads, tails, gulp bodies, heads or tails.

One thing I have tried with various success is T boning a Gulp minnow, crawler or blood worm on the hook wacky style.

Gulp has been great some days and others live bait was key. Like anything else they all have their time and place.

If I had 1 thing to put on a flyer day in and day out it would be a minnow head. Rip it of the minnow dont cut it. Them entrails seem to entice strikes and may help with more scent dispersion VS a clean scissors cut minnow.

Oh and most times I make sure to get the air bag out but I have seen times that that thing floating the minnow head on the hooks works better.

Absolutly my favorite lure last winter. I fished Red Lake 2 or 3 days each week and the Lindy flat out hammered the walleyes. Used a 1/4oz perch with a full minnow hooked behind the dorsal fin most of the time. The rainbow worked great too. Had some days late in the season when I'd catch 30 plus fish a day on a consistant basis. I used the Northland spoons too but for me the Lindy just seemed to catch more fish. Gonna try some rattlin cranks out there this year and see what happens. The size of the fish is getting better. We'll see.

Would any of you guys be willing to share your favorite technique to jig these with? Do you lift the rod like 2-3 feet then let it "fly" down? Or smaller jiggles? I was using one the other night and had several fish come in but they would not bite. (they wouldn't bite a rattle spoon or plain hook/minnow either) Thanks.

The St. Louis River walleye continue to like these. Rainbow is always good as is the glow red but the new purple smelt has been getting more time on my line lately. Im a strong believer that the rattles on these are better than other rattle spoons and they dont pop off like some of the other already mentioned brands.

I just thought I would remind everyone that these Flyers come in some nice small panfish sizes too. I have been running the 1/8th oz glow red lately and getting some nice gills and crappies with it. The purple smelt has also fooled a few. wink

I have been loading them up with either waxies or Gulp maggots and thats been working great. Almost to the point Im considering not bringing minnows. Well maybe not, some times the minnows are the ticket. At least the heads/tails can be used to tip the Flyers at times as well.