• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick survey of my own curiosity on "point restriction"

VMS

Bring on APR except for northern MN.

I don't hunt up there but understand

the hunters concerns with APR. Limited time to

count tines in the thick stuff and what not.

I'd like to think that the "PRO APR yes yes crowd" would think about if a deer is mature first and then count points second.

APR's are an implemented management tool to make you second guess yourself before pulling the trigger. If I'm in the woods and I can only see antlers, then I don't pull the triggr. And I really don't condone shooting the bushes up either.

And what is this what not stuff anyway?

APR's is supposed to protect the young bucks even if they have legal points.

If you're PRO APR yes yes, then pass on the small bucks please.

You guys are more than welcome to punch a doe tag as well.

let em go..let 'em grow.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No APRS's! I don't think we should be creating legislation just to fulfill someones fantasy. I find it hard to believe that people support this, but then say to not have it for this group or that group. As I mentioned in an earlier post making rules just to please a specific group of people will only make things worse. We have a great freedom here in this state to make up our own minds on this subject. Please don't take that for granted.

I think this will be happening rather we want it too or not. I am for it as it will make getting a big mature buck more obtainable for others. It is just a matter of time as they have already done it in the state parks and haven proven their efforts with numbers, also the southern zones have it. Time will tell, but personally I think it will happen.

Yes Jameson, because if biologically this was a horrible idea, the DNR would implement it lol. Come on dude, if this had adverse biological consequences attached to it, it would have never been put to the public for opinions.

All I have heard for years from people is that "why would you implement something like this for the vocal minority". Well its now the vocal majority but since that stance doesnt fit your arguement i guess its not good anymore???

I dont know if APR is the answer to this problem. I believe there is more to it than just passing on the smaller bucks so there are bigger in the future. The genetices in most of the state are horrible, along with lack of animals too. I am originaly from MN and hunted deer there 12 plus years, up north and in western parts of the state. I now live in SD and we don't gun hunt the eastern part until the third weekend, Iowa doesnt hunt until Dec. I believe.

My point is this if the more mature bucks had a chance to or better chance to mate a few times instead of being shot right away could and I believe doese make a differance in your deer herd quality. The quality of deer I see coming out of SD in the past 16 years has me thinking that the DNR over her know something!!! Look at Iowa to!!

Along with moving it back if there was a loto for the whole state things could only get better too. There is just to dang many people hunting in MN to just let everyone have a chance at shooting a buck. Over here in SD I get a buck tag every other year east river and every year west river. I hunt public only, never hunted private. I hated it at first being from MN but as the years went on I noticed that even though there was a lot of hunting pressure I still was seeing 3-5 year old bucks every year. Maybe didnt shoot one but still seen them.I don't know there just has to be something to it!!

Just my opinion here guys! Im no expert by any length of the emagination but only know what I see and do. Good luck this year and always be safe!!!

Yes Jameson, because if biologically this was a horrible idea, the DNR would implement it lol. Come on dude, if this had adverse biological consequences attached to it, it would have never been put to the public for opinions.

The DNR doesn't exactly have a great track record for understanding unintended consequences of it's actions.

Take a look at Northern Wisconsin and all of the controversy that the release and establishment of Wolf packs and herds of Elk have caused for the people living up there. And that is a fairly recent program that has only scratched the surface of the problems that will eventually result from the decision.

How many deer hunters in Northern Wi have faith in their DNR after that decision and how the herd has been effected.

Thunderchicken, Minnesota has terrific genetics. They don't get much better and that goes for the entire state of MN. The genetics don't get better just because you cross an imaginary line into SD or IA. The entire midwest has great genetics. Its other factors that are contributing to the "quality" of bucks coming from the different states in the midwest.

All you need to do is let Minnesota bucks get enough age and you will have more book bucks for those that want them. Many ways to do it, but remember Minnesota is a mix of habitat and winter severity. You can't manage NE Minnesota (harsh winters, timber wolves, lots of cover) like SW Minnesota (milder winters, lots of ag crops, little cover when crops are out making deer much easier targets to hunters, no wolves). Up North the cover gives bucks protection and APR's less needed.

What happens to an area that has APR's and builds up older bucks, then gets whacked with a bad winter, loses a lot of deer, resulting in the area going lottery? Most hunters, I believe, eat what they shoot and enjoy venison brats while listening to the radio no matter how the Twins or Vikings are doing, and will want to shoot a deer. Not having a doe permit and having to look for 4 points on a side is a lot to ask of the typical hunter around here. Especially since letting hunters harvest bucks heavily to spare does and rebuild the population is a proven method that is accepted.

Thankfully the Good Lord made whitetails a renewable resource that has survived humans "opinions" and gives us room to play with goofy thinking like APR's to save bucks while letting hunters hunt bucks hard with long range firearms thru the rut for total of 32 days (16 day reg firearm and 16 day modern muzzy season).

Minnesota has about 1 to 1.2 million deer and about 500,000 hunters. That means about 2 deer for every hunter. No matter how you do it the majority of hunters will not harvest big bucks. That is the great illusion that drives this whole thing. Perception is reality, and the hunting shows are perceived as "reality".

Hopefully the majority will at least leave the kids out of APR's. But I wouldn't bet on it since the DNR won't let muzzy youth shoot does in parts of SW MN so even the kids can end up short changed in this state.

APR's should be voluntary and would be more effective that way. Each year more are doing it voluntarily. That is the best way. Change the culture with education and leave room for various hunting styles.

lakevet

Not having a doe permit and having to look for 4 points on a side is a lot to ask of the typical hunter around here.

Right there is the reason I hope APR's never goes statewide, not having the opportunity to shoot a deer some year just because some hunters have to have big antlers would suck.

You have to add a lot of carrots, onions, and potatoes to make a decent soup out of boiling antlers.

Try this scenario...

I was on stand this year and had a little four pointer come by that had obviously been hit by a car or suffered some other sort of bad injuryto his right side. This deer was hobbling around in what looked like a very painful manner. I am hunting in area 338 so I was not even allowed by law to take this animal out of its misery. I would have gladly given up my tag for the year for this deer but could not because of APR.

For this reason, I am against any APR. I did not have a problem with it until I was in this situation.

Twins 57, I have this exact situation in my yard right now, altough I live in 261, so no antler restriction. I have my two brother-in-laws trying to make a fork that ran into the mailman's car their first deer. I confirmed with trail cam pictures and video's that he has a broken back left leg and possibly his hip too. We are going to hopefully be able to put him down soon to end his suffering. I also have two small 8's in the yard which I have chose not to shoot, but I don't feel that anyone should be able to make that decision for me or anyone for that matter. Grandpa shot a goofy spike at the age of 78, first buck in over 10 years and you should have seen the look on his face. IMHO, no one has the right to have denied us that experience.

I just hate having MORE laws when it comes to the outdoors......PERIOD!

That is my whole point to all these arguments.

APR, Buck lottery, Earn a buck, Lottery, Managed, Intensive Harvest...

I abide by the laws we have in place and always will.

Do I believe in them, probably no. My opinion.

One thing great about this discussion is you can see the passion for the whitetail on both sides, we agree and disagree on subjects like this and that is what makes the world go around.....

Mark

Yes James there is no imaginary line and the midwest as a whole has some of if not the best there is to offer as far as whitetail hunting. But we both have a wildlife division that is doing things totally different. And from where I have hunted and where my extended family has and still is hunting in MN things are not looking real good and haven't for quit some time.