• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Archery Deer

NDLive

“Those guys who snort coke have no idea what a rush is!”

I’ve always been a rifle man when it comes to critters. Not that I don’t hunt with a shotgun. I mean I never got into muzzeloading or archery. I don’t even remember how all that changed. One day I found myself up a tree in a friend’s stand with his bow on his property and a deer walked in. Houston we are go for launch. I was hooked.

I’d guess that was several bows back and if you think a good rifle and scope is spendy, let an archery salesman see your wallet. It will come back clean I can tell you that. What is even worse is a good rifle will last a lifetime, holding value or even climb a little if taken care of. Not bows, just like a new car, touch it and it only has value to the owner.

The second year I was still pretty green but I had me one of those new lightning fast compounds with sights and trigger. Tried the more traditional approach. It’s not ethical for me to shoot at something with a recurve or longbow. Fact is after countless weeks of disciplined practice I could just pass for a hunter the deer would consider a vague threat.

There is no substitute for experience and first year archery for me was filled with questions only answered by time. Where to set up? How high, what tree, won’t they see me? How do you know when to draw? I’ve since found out that many questions have nothing to do with first year hunting. I’m still asking myself the same questions.

The trail camera helped me the most. Having a picture of a buck gave me confidence and while I never really figured out a pattern I always went out knowing there was at least one good buck in the area. He came by one night and alerted Houston that I was ready for lift off. Too late, too dark, too excited. I started paying more attention to details. Picking the best wind and what I hoped would be a good night to sit. One of those nagging questions I asked and still do is, “Won’t I scare him off by over hunting?” I decided once a week at most would be my best strategy.

By now I’ve been in the tree a dozen times and several does in the area got me pegged. In fact, as they come past the stand they always move down wind and sound the alarm. There is one nice thing about first year hunting. I didn’t really understand what was going on so it didn’t bother me that much.

One of the best aspects of archery is waiting. Silence and stillness bring out the best in nature. From birds to squirrels, clouds to leaves, it all takes on new meaning. Maybe we don’t do enough of that, just sitting, being still and waiting. Just maybe sitt’n and wait’n brings out the best in people too. In ND we are privileged to have a long season. Starting in Sept when it’s too hot to sit and ending in early Jan when it’s too cold.

It’s Sunday, late November and we have a warm up with SE winds 10-15. Perfect. There is at least 16 inches of snow on the ground but the air is warm. I climb into the stand and follow my routine. Draw back, check for branches, sit down and wait. My rule in those days was ½ hour before sunset I would stand up and stay standing just in case.

I’m an hour from standing when I notice a great set of horns moving my way through the trees. Just like a TV hunting show, glimpses of horns in the trees, testing the wind, cautious, silent, slowly moving my direction. He is at least 50 yards out yet. Slowly I stand, bow ready.

I’m certain he will hear my heart pounding. All the questions come firing back, what next, when to draw, will he see me move? Mr. Big Buck sends reconnaissance ahead. I hardly remember the spiked scout as I was focused on a bigger target. When to draw? Wait-- not yet- - easy-- wait. By now I’m not even sure I will be able to get my bow back.

Finally broadside, 11 yards, head down and slightly turned away, I make my move. I’m not that good of a shot and even 11 yards is no sure bet, particularly in my advanced stages of buck fever. Looking back everything was perfect. Broadside, head turned slightly, wind in my favor. Even the shot was perfect. The arrow sliced through and stuck deep into the snow.

Someone else was on launch sequence with Houston. I have never seen a deer move faster. Out of the trees, up the field edge, out of sight in 2 seconds! I finally get a breath of air and realization begins to take effect. Snow is splashed red as far as I can see. Certainty and doubt meet in a head on collision. Waiting for that necessary half hour is completely forgotten.

With a blood trail the color blind could follow it was no challenge. 20 yards into the trail I remember my bow in the tree. Ya, might be a good idea. I still have symptoms of the fever. Back on the trail, through the deep snow, I see antlers on the ground. Deer Down!

Soon as I got home I told my wife, “Those guys who snort coke have no idea what a rush is!” Houston we are go for launch.

full-34939-2177-bow_&_arrow.jpg

Great buck and even better story! I thought I would add my first deer story as well.

It was an eerie night in NW Wisconsin on Nov. 8th, 2008. The strong whirling wind had cut around 2:30PM accompanied by a temperature drop and light snow fall. I climbed into my tree stand at 2:45PM. I was sitting cold and tired having gotten up early and hunting a morning stand at which I only saw one small buck sporting 4 points. At 3:30PM I heard something off to my right and turned only to see the hind quarters of a nice sized deer before it ducked behind some trees blocking my view. I took this hidden opportunity to stand up in the tree stand and clip my release to the bow. I just keep thinking, I hope a nice buck is following this nice doe. To my surprise as it cleared the row of trees, I saw a nice shooter buck coming my way down the path! My heart started pounding and I struggled to draw my bow through the nerves, adrenaline, and cold. I took a deep breath, lined up my peep sight with the space between the 10 and 20 yard pin and let her rip! Whooooomp! A hollow pounding filled the dead silence around me. The hit, a bit back on the body than what I was aiming for, revealed only half of my arrow had penetrated the deer as it jumped and ran off to the left behind me. In a panic of anxiety not knowing if it was a deadly hit, I called my brother who walked me through the decision making process of whether I should track the deer or back out till later. With my brother along for the ride via cell phone, I followed a light blood trail 30 yards or so until I got the feeling in the pit of my stomach that this deer was still mobile and decided to back out until Dan arrived back at the cabin at 9:00pm. 5 hours to wait to go on this blood trail would have been an eternity. With the continued fall of now heavier snow and an increasing fear that the blood trail would be covered up and washed away, I decided to go by myself in these still slightly unfamiliar woods. It was 6:00pm and dark as heck by the time I got back from tinkering with the Coleman lantern and warming myself with a few choice beverages. As I crept into the woods to the spot I last saw blood, every noise seemed amplified and just out of the 6 ft. glow that my Coleman lantern illuminated. After 45 minutes and approximately 80 yards of spotty blood, I finally got onto a trail that the buck had taken to ease its travel and noticed the blood trail growing thicker and thicker. At last, as I was following the trail of blood along a small ridge, a white belly came into the light and all my fears and nerves immediately left me and were replaced with relief and accomplishment (not to mention a helluva lot of excitement!). There in the dark woods I laid with my deer experiencing an odd mix of emotions I had never felt before. It was the mix of thankfulness and apology that I think only hunters can understand to the fullest.

full-33522-2217-1108081902.jpg

full-33522-2220-j1.jpg

WOW, another great story, thanks for sharing JigginGopher, what a rush to feel. Hopefully some day I can experience that same emotion when I take my first buck with a bow, it's just not the same as a rifle I'm sure!?

Again cool story followed up with pictures.

mr