• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Non Traditional Walleye options

Try this for a change. It's very good. We don't boil the fish first. Instead, we add the fish after everything else is done and cook it until the fish are done. The fish doesn't take very long so you don't have to worry about overcooking the vegies.

KALAMOJAKKA

4 fish fillets, cubed

Water to cover

2 to 4 potatoes

1 sm. onion

1/4 to 1/2 c. chopped carrots

1/4 to 1/2 c. chopped celery

1 sm. can Carnation milk

1 bay leaf

6 whole allspice or peppercorns

Boil fish fillets in saucepan with enough water to cover. When cooked, remove fish. Boil remaining ingredients (except milk) until done. Return fish to saucepan. Add Carnation milk. Only heat through, do not bring to a boil. Serves 2.

Two things I've tried that went well at the table. Walleye scampi. Look up any shrimp scampi recipe and substitute the walleye. The other was walleye fried and laid on a bed of pasta and covered with Williams Country Gravy.

I too got bored with the standard fried walleye, and decided this year to try some new methods. The fish cakes and scampi already mentioned were 2 of them, and both were great and will be part of the "arsenal" in the future, but my favorite this year (and a favorite among the people I cooked for this year) was grilled similar to how I grill salmon. It goes like this:

get grill ready (used both charcoal and gas, and both were good)

place walleye fillets on foil (spray with Pam)

season lightly with salt/pepper and a few small pats of butter (as sacreligous as it sounds, don't overdo the butter)

sprinkle with FRESH dill

slice lemons about 1/4" thick slices and cover fillets

grill until fish begins to flake

some grilled asparagus is a great side

Sort of traditional, but I just whipped up something that turned out pretty good.

Took fresh fillets and dipped them in melted butter then rolled them into finely ground "sour cream and cheddar" potato chips. Placed in a class baking dish, then sprinkled some ground pepper on top along with some chives and green onions, then drizzled the left over butter on top.

Baked at 400 for 20 minutes.

Yummy!

Two weekends ago I did grilled/smoked walleye. Here is a summary:

-Spray bottom side of foil with cooking spray

-Walleye fillets (I left the skin on, could also be done without)

-Zest of lemon

-Seasonings of choice

-Minced garlic

-Alternate lemon slices and red onion slices on top

-Slices of butter on top of lemon and onion (butter melts through into fillets, taking flavor with it)

-Wrap foil tight

-Grill for about 7-8 minutes (until fish is almost done)

-Toss wood-chips on top of the coals, or in a chip box

-When it starts to smoke unwrap the foil, and smoke until finished

Amazing! I wish I'd have taken pictures.

walleye cakes...fix em just like crab cakes, except substitute with walleye meat. there was a great recipe in In Fisherman about 6 mos ago. great with ceasar salad.

yummy!

Here's a little how to on the walleye cakes

Walleye Cake Demo

Also, I'm going to throw another Mojakka Recipe on here for you that we have done with great success. May want to reduce the measurements for home use.

Mojakka-Walleye

3 cups chopped yellow onion

3 cups chopped celery

3 cups chopped carrot

Saute in canola oil on high heat till caramelized and add:

2 TBL chopped garlic

4 quarts heavy cream

5 lbs chopped baby reds

3 cups cooked wild rice

Simmer until potatoes are tender and add:

3 TBL worchestshire

½ cup fresh chopped dill