• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nomination list for 2011

WalleyeGod

Here is the list:

The nominees for induction in 2011 are Alice Cooper, the Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Chic, Neil Diamond, Donovan, Dr. John, the J. Geils Band, LL Cool J, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, Tom Waits, and Chuck Willis.

Who should make it and why. Also who missed the list that maybe should have made it.

I will start by saying who missed that I thought should have made the list. Kiss and Rush amongst others.

WG

YoPaul:

Thankfully Bob Seger is in already. Inducted in 2004. Rumor has it that he may put a tour together in the near future which would be cool.

I thought about this earlier that it may be worthwhile to put this address here to check status of artist/s to see if they are in the Hall already.

rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/

WG

RUSH isn't in yet and should be. Beastie Boys were the first rap/hip hop act to go platinum with "License To Ill" which, IMHO, is still a pretty good album to listen to every once and again. Bon Jovis a lock in that list, Donovans "Sunshine Superman" is in my iPod and one of my favorite songs of all time, but he only had a few other hits besides that, so he might squeak in. Neil Diamond is another lock in that list

I dunno, LL Cool J has been making albums for 3 decades now, I think he deserves some respect. Nah, I'm not a fan of his music particularly, but he's been and continues to be a force in the industry, and that's what is important, in my opinion.

However, until I see the sugarhill gang in there, or even NWA (we actually had a unit on NWA in a college poetry course I took), i don't want to see LL. Bon Jovi should make it, I can't stand 'em but most people dig 'em... and since I'm not anything special I can't stop it. But I would if i could.

Alice Cooper... yeah. He's in, and deserves it.

Rush tops my list for sure of those left out. Phish would but they're not eligible yet. Unofficially they are, but apparently that doesn't count, so they have to wait until 2013 to be eligible.

From the R&R Hall HSOforum: To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction

Not LL cool IMO

Musical Excellence is the essential qualification, but the most subjective as well. Length and Depth of career, LL's got that, innovation and superiority in style and technique, sounds like ll to me, influence, yep.

If you include mixing and creative rhythms to be a form of music, he should at least be considered. I fail to see the true difference between this and percussion, and I know there are some drummers in the hall.

LL Cool J fits all those criterias to get into the Hall.....just cause you don't like his music he has stood the test of time and is still a very influential cahrachter in the music world....some of thos names nominated I couldn't tell you a thing about them but I am sure all of you know something about LL Cool J!!! "Mama said knock you out"

Beastie Boys without a doubt are in.......Neil is in....Bon Jovi is in....J Geiles Band is in......and Alice Cooper is in....I am sure Donna Summer will probably make it also...the rest I couldn't tell you a thing about them so........

If this were called "The Music Hall of Fame" I'd be down with LL Cool and the others. However, this is "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." and I'm not down with LL Chilly being there.

I have no clue who or which bands are in the hall. Kiss, Rush, The Who, Zepplin, etc. Bands that have withstood the test of time, not one hit wonders, and actually ROCK are the ones that should be there.