• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A good age for a first bow???

Coach1310

So.... my oldest son just turned 5 and is enamored with me shooting my bow at a target. He could watch me for hours(which is a lot longer than I care to shoot smile. Anywho, I was just wondering what others have done in regard to getting their kids a bow... what kind and at what age? We got him a cheap plastic thing that he can't get enough of, but he keeps talking about how mine is different and mine is better.... Any experience and suggestions would be great.... Thanks

Eagle makes a cheap bow (25-50 bucks I think), that works for that age group. The one we have has been in the hands of 3 kids and now the grandson shoots it. Don't plan on getting any quality practice in for yourself if he's going to shoot with you though. Oh ya, about 4-5 yrs old is when the kids started shooting. Good Luck.

Bought my daughter one of discount stores bows with the wheels for starters at the age of 6 and she shot that for a couple of years, then we bought her a Fuse archery bow, upgraaded some of the accessories and she is still shooting that and pretty good too, she is now 11.

Both my boys started around 3 with a recurve for around 20 bucks, now thanks to grandpa spoiling my oldest who is 6 he is shooting the matthews genesis and he loves that because he can shoot pretty quickly and accuratly with that.

My daughter and son started at age three. You don't need anything fancy right away- if they're interested a little stick and string will be fascinating to them. I'm buying my son a Diamon Nuclear Ice for his b-day in a couple months when he turns six.

So.... my oldest son just turned 5 and is enamored with me shooting my bow at a target. He could watch me for hours(which is a lot longer than I care to shoot smile. Anywho, I was just wondering what others have done in regard to getting their kids a bow... what kind and at what age? We got him a cheap plastic thing that he can't get enough of, but he keeps talking about how mine is different and mine is better.... Any experience and suggestions would be great.... Thanks

5 seems old enough. If it were me, I would get a cheap compound bow (under $50) and see if he can shoot it ok. If it works for him, paint it camo or whatever your bow looks like. I think it would be cool to have a bow that "looks" like dads, even if its not the same. I would also want to have a bow case similar to dads.

Mine is getting the genisis in a few weeks for her big 5 year bday but has been helping me shoot for the last 3 years. I remember killing my first rabbit when I was 5 and we also had a youth league that I was shooting in. Her is a pic of my little helper.

september08003.jpg