• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaving deer overnight

hookjunior

I wanna get some opinions so I have some info to go on if I need to make the decision of leaving a deer overnight or not. At what temp is it safe to leave a deer all night without worrying about the meat spoiling? If I do leave one overnight how much time do I have to get it skinned and butchered at different temps? Just curious what the game plan should be when the low is say 50, 40, or 30 degrees at night. Been a few times I skip hunting because I don't wanna risk wasting a deer if I make a marginal shot and have to leave it overnight. Any tips appreciated.

I would rather take a chance of a little spoilage then bumping a deer and never finding it, but if the weather is warm I give them 4 hours and slowly and quietly track by myself if I find where the deer had beded and got up or hear it get up I turn around and leave. If the temps are 50 or less I will leave them overnight and not worry. Also remember a deer will not spoil till they have died I have tracked 2 deer that have been gut shot by other hunters that were still alive in the morning and needed another arrow for a gut shot don't even look for at least 6 hours more likely if you bump them they will not leave a blood trail you need to give them time to stiffen up or expire.

we've shot deer and found them the next morning real close to where we stopped tracking. Maybe they laid up a bit before expiring or they immediatly expired..don't know for sure on those. But given the night temps are in the 50's we never had spoiled meat.

im on the fence on leaving deer overnight at all. i had shot one a few years back, made a marginal shot with my 12ga. i found blood and right away knew it was a bit low and back. tracked it about 30 yards with little blood and it was dark. i backed out and went in the next morning. i found it about 40 yards from where i stoped and found the deer bloated. i couldnt figure it out. i grabed the legs and rolled it over and i could hear all the gases come hissing out. i found out there was no exit wound so when the deer fell it fell on the bullet hole and sealed it up and the gases built up inside. i almost threw up. i droped the deer off at the butcher and got a call a couple hours later they wouldnt even touch it it smelled so bad. ever since then i am iffy on leavin deer overnight.

This is one the main reasons I do not get out much early in the season. Even if you get a deer that drops in 50 yards, you need to cool the meat quick. Add to that my wife's complete ban on butchering deer at home, and that means I need to be sure a butcher shop is open. That usually means dropping it off the next morning.

If it is cold enough, the deer can sit in the back of the truck for 24 hours with a bit of ice (or not). But when it is too warm, that is not ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I still get out, but it is more to see what is around and if that perfect buck comes walking by, I will still take it.

Add to that my wife's complete ban on butchering deer at home, and that means I need to be sure a butcher shop is open.

Did she say anything about butchering in the garage?

Leaving a deer overnight depends on a lot of variables, as a general rule if you know the hit is marginal it might to best to wait at least 4-5 hour to even overnight. Sometimes even if you are unsure of the hit it might be a good idea to wait, but then take into consideration other things like temp and predators. Often a gut shot deer will live a long time and like archerysniper said could still be alive in the monring so the meat will be fine.