• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Been out to the deer stand?

I got out to my bow stand last weekend. Deer have worn a serious trail past it. I put Buck jam on a bunch of the stumps last fall and the deer have them pulverized to the ground!

Woke up at 12:30AM to hear a deer snorting close to the truck. At 2:30 the snorting was much closer followed by footsteps which sounded like the deer was right next to the truck!

Man, I've got the fever now! Bow is tuned and practice is well under way. Can't wait 'til September!

Honey Acorn Liquid Buck Jam poured over the tops of stumps several times. I used a whole jug on 5 or 6 stumps over the course of a few days. They didn't touch it last fall but they really went after the salt in the stumps this spring.

Going to check one out tonight that I know isn't okay. It was in one of the half dozen trees in Dad's pasture that got uprooted by the storm Saturday afternoon. It's close to a cornfield, but I doubt there will be any corn survive that hail. There's a grain field about a mile from his place that wasn't cut, but it looks like it.

We have mineral blocks and salt in front of the trail cams in Central ND and we've got pics of deer licking/eating these things like crazy.

First time puting out cams and I got the suggestion of placing licks in front of the camera to "stage" the deer for pics. A very simple, but valuable suggestion.

a week ago or more I found out that some one stolen my climbing sticks, fortunetly the guy I figured took them and admitted he did it and gave them back or it would have gotten a little ugly. But some did put a lock on my other stand that will be getting a visit from my bolt cutters in the coming weeks.

Checked my other latter stand this afternoon and it's in good shape but moved it about 20 yards to a better funnel that I figured out late in the season last year.

mr

Been out refreshing mineral stations a couple of times this year, need to move a stand to a new area this week. Lots of early sign in same ole location. Good sign that I have worked these areas long enough and have them bottle neck areas pin pointed finally.

i put out cameras and checked two stands my box stand is on it's side. I gotta get out to get it upright here soon. Too bad there is a corn field near me that I can't drive back there any more. I take down mine during the winter because the whole area floods so bad. SO I need to get them up!

Checked my permanent in the uprooted monster basswood last night. The stand & the ladder are both 100% fine. The ladder was laying under the tree but the bottom of the trunk was stopped about 2' from the ground. The problem with the stand is that the floor is at a 90 degree angle to the ground now...

Going to start hanging stands tommorow morning hope to hang atleast 5 tommorow. Maybe a couple friday evening and get the other 10 to 15 up over the weekend. Then I will just have to get my fall food plots in hopeing to get that done the first week of august. Then I can relax untill season.

Checked my permanent in the uprooted monster basswood last night. The stand & the ladder are both 100% fine. The ladder was laying under the tree but the bottom of the trunk was stopped about 2' from the ground. The problem with the stand is that the floor is at a 90 degree angle to the ground now...

does this mean you'll need to practice

shooting from a prone position?

..ouch..

Then I will just have to get my fall food plots in hopeing to get that done the first week of august. Then I can relax untill season.

BB what are you going to plant? Im thinking of putting in a fall plot as well.

Not the one who the question is directed to, but late this spring I planted Rape Forage/Turnip mixture, as well as surrouding that plot with a plot of Clover. Figure the Rape Forage and the Clover will be good for the first few months of the archery season, then once that first hard frost comes, those Turnips get sweet and the deer go crazy pawing them up.

mabr I was talking with the neighbor the other day and this subject came up I figured I would put turnips in. He suggested throwing some peas in as well they grow fast and the deer seem to enjoy them. So I am going to give that a try. I figure plant a 20 foot wide patch around the entire perimeter and then put the turnips in the middle. On another note I did get some stands hung tonite Man was it hot in the woods. I hung one set that I am rally excited about its one of those sets that just seems rite. its next to a corn field I hung it in the timber about twenty yards from the field edge the timber is kind of broken into small thickets with heavy trials I could have just sat there tonite and watched and enjoyed the sites not sure I would have seen much though I had my son out helping tonite and we were having a good time hanging out together. He had me in stitches laughing at him and his smart azz coments while I was trying to hang stands glad we have a couple months to let the woods settle.

Thanks guys for the input. Im still studying what i want to put out. Ive got 4 clover plots on one property and it does draw in some deer especially after frost.

My other property in farm country, our neighbor planted turnups last year. We trailed a doe through it one night and next morning and I couldnt help but notice that the deer had hardly touched them. But there was standing corn everywhere last year so who knows what they would have done had the corn been cut.

My experiance with the turnips in the isant area is that the deer have not touched them until the muzzleloader season has started. When they say you need a hard frost it isn't just one cold night it's about a week of cold nights before they dig them up.I have been haveing better luck with clover and chikory wich is also easy to controll the weeds in wich is a plus.If I was going to plant a grain type plot for deer it would be soybeans just leave them all winter and replant in the spring.

Ive kind of narrowed it down to winter rye, mixed with clover. Im not going to be able to put alot of time into prep work on this field and from what Ive read you can almost get rye going by throwing it out. This field is about 3 acre and im thinking of putting in about 1. The field is just weeds right now, im thinking of round up, then drag it and plant. Not the best route i know but no access to equipment. Dang i just went and priced renting a tractor and tiller and that aint happening this year.

mabr,

nothing wrong with ryegrass. Good protein and hardy in the late fall.

In the spring if you have perinial ryegrass it'll come up before the weeds and help crowed them out. The deer will be right back on 'em when the snow thaws. If you get perinial [white] clover, it will be right back behind the ryegrass.

What my second plot mainly consists of is triticale, it's a no till seed, and can self pollinate, not like rye that requires cross pollenation. Tritiacale is a cross between wheat and rye. For max protein I'll mow and windrow it if they don't graze it to much..we'll see.

Generally speaking, triticale has 90-95% as much energy as corn silage, and 150-200% of the protein, depending upon the stage of maturity at harvest.

Source: Waibel et A., 1992, University of Minnesota.

B. Feed Grain:

Feeding trials in North Dakota, Canada, and Minnesota indicate that triticale has potential as a feed grain. The protein content of triticale lines has ranged from 10 to 20 percent on a dry weight basis, which is higher than wheat.

The other seeds I planted are winter peas, winter oats, more clover, and turnips.

heck, someone has to make these guys grow a little faster.

Might as well be me.......

grin

SUNP0004.jpg

Was out again this evening hung a few more stands( would somebody please turn the thermostate DOWN!!) Seen lots of sign in the area I was in jumped one small buck. While we were walking out the backway we walked through an area that was previously void of any activity not anymore loaded with sign and found a natural mineral hole that they are pounding. So we ran home grabbed another stand and hung that It is in a funnell that narrows to about twenty yards could be a good one.