• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cats

huntnfish

Is there anything that I can do to keep the cats out of my garden? I'm really getting tired of smelling their little digging spots when I'm out there. I was told to sprinkle red pepper flakes in the dirt but I'm not sure I can believe the source. I had a couple other ideas that would keep them out of there permanently but the wife didn't think it was the best idea.

assuming that these are pets and not strays, I am thinking that killing them is not legal, even if they are taking dumps on your property. even if it is it isn't a good idea and, frankly, it's downright cruel to make a little kid's buddy disappear. we had one of those a holes in my neighborhood growing up. it was odd how many times that guy ran over nails and had to replace his mailbox.

if they are strays, buy a live trap and then release them one way or another in the woods somewhere far away.

if they are the neighbor's cats maybe a simple discussion with the neighbor can fix your problem. if you live in town check to see if there is a city ordinance against free roaming animals. if there is you might want to kindly remind your neighbor of it.

if they are strays, buy a live trap and then release them one way or another in the woods somewhere far away.

Please, whatever you decide to do, DO NOT RELEASE CATS IN THE WOODS!! They are a very successful predator and will kill many native animals. Cats will kill for fun, not just to eat. They will kill Hundreds of birds and small mammals a year. Even full grown rabbits are not safe when cats are on the loose. The live trap would be a good idea but instead of releasing them drop them off at the animal shelter.

Domestic cats kill hundreds of millions of birds and other wild life each year in the U.S.! NEVER release them in the wild! Or even let your pet wander outdoors!

I consider them an exotic species similar to round goby or zebra muscles.

It's legal to kill feral cats in MN, so whatever you decide just make sure you don't break any laws or offend somebody like bobbymalone so you don't have to fix lots of flat tires or replace your mailbox.

Okay, this isn't the outdoors activities forum. It's Lawn and Garden.

Stray cats are a problem. If you don't see a tag, then call animal control, or live trap them and take them to a shelter.

As in other parts of this board, keep it civil.

I never said I was going to kill someone's pet. I tried talking to the owner and was told that its not his problem. Called the city and they said that I could get a live trap but if and when I caught something it was my problem. It is illegal to let your pets roam but its not on top of the list of things for them to worry about. I don't want to kill them, just want them to find a different bathroom.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm getting tired of finding little cat cigars when I'm digging.

sorry, lawnmowerman, guess i just feel strongly about not killing pets.

huntnfish - it is easy to get the wrong ideas when you start talking about using pellet guns. not that wounding pets is much better.

If the neighbor says it isn't his problem I would scoop up all the cat turds and arrange them neatly in his garden or on his front porch. Maybe he will get the point. Or maybe you will start a Hatfield/McCoy war in the neighborhood.

Didn't like the chicken wire idea?

Here are a few more. . . .

Scatter fresh orange and lemon peels or spray with citrus-scented fragrances. Coffee grounds, pipe tobacco, or oil of lavendar, lemongrass, citronella, or eucalyptus also deter cats.

Plant the herb rue or sprinkle the dried herb over the garden.

Sprinkle coyote urine (trapping supply stores stock it) around the edges of the garden.

Use plastic carpet runners spike-side up, covered lightly in soil (deters weeds as well.)

Lay lattice fencing material over soil.

Put sand in an out-of-the-way spot in your yard. Keep it clean and free of deposits. Cats prefer it to your garden.

Use a dog and cat repellent spray, available widely at garden/home centers.

I would combine two of the three types of options. Say, get a repellent spray or use the herbs/etc, as well as one of the physical deterrents like the carpet runners. I for one would not offer a kitty litter box off in a corner of my yard because I don't want cats there at all. They eat the birds that come to my yard.

I have the same issue with a neighbors dog always going in the garden and yard.

I have talked to him numerous times and nothing has changed.

City ordinance states one can only have 2 dogs per household and he keeps three.

There is also a leash law and seems to believe everyone wants his dogs in their yards.

My dog stays in our yard and goes potty only in our yard. That's the way it should be.

I once called the police to see if they would enforce the city laws and yes, they did talk to him as they also told him I complained.

The other neighbors have all complained as his dogs have defecated in their lawns also. The one dog barks all night outside and as I stated, he lets them run anywhere.

Well, another letter will be written to the city counsel and the police.

Bad part of all this hassle is, I am sure he will now ignore us as neighbors and that should not have to happen.

I can understand why people do some things that are not right to correct neighbors pet issues.

Sad part is, its not the dogs fault as they were not taught well.

Harvey,

My folks went through the same thing. They eventually took a whole bunch of dated photos of the dog in their yard and garden and sent them to the local PD, and the neighbors were forced to get rid of the dog.

That was 5-6 years ago, and the neighbors have been total a-holes ever since. But, if they would have just taken responsibility for their pet, there would have been no problems. My parents don't dislike dogs, jut the damage this dog was doing to their yard and garden.

Thanks Steve. I liked the chicken wire idea, just looking for some other thoughts. I will give that and a spray a try. I like the idea of the coyote urine. Might keep the rabbits and squirrels out also.

Harvey, like you I called the law and they did about the same thing and told him who had called. This neighbor definitely isn't an upstanding citizen and the cops know the address well. There are always people stopping by there for just a few minutes so its not hard to figure out whats going on so I really don't want to push it too much.

Coyote urine can keep the deer out, too, if they are a problem. The original Irish Spring bar soap, sliced in quarters and placed around the garden, also keeps deer out. You've got to replace it every few weeks with fresh soap slices. Since all our veggies are grown in raised beds of 4x8 or 6x12, it's really easy to use repellents as barriers.

I had a neighbor with a couple of dogs that always roamed and another neighbor that was active in paintball. After a few chance encounters both the dogs and their careless owner got things figured out.

I really don't have much of a garden. Just some flowers, a few tomato plants, and some bell peppers alongside the house. I think the cats really like the smell of flowers since thats where they usually do their business and I'm normally the one out weeding and sure getting tired of accidentally grabbing a handful of kitty surprise. I will give the suggestions a try. Thanks for the help!

Big dogs do a fine job of keeping cats away.

If you see them doing their business you can shoot them with a bb gun or an airsoft gun. It's not going to kill someones pet and I'm not suggesting that. It will, however, give the cat a good sting. A few good stings and they'll learn to go lay cigars somewhere else.