• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DANG IT!!

MNice

early 90's mariner 15HP. As you can see, when there is a hydro foil attached, and you push your boat into a very strong woodworking bench, bad things can happen. I'm not sure of the material, could be cast aluminum, or perhaps "potmetal". and ideas on how to fix, or am I out a lower unit.

[img:left]7445933d040a.jpg

Yikes! Its aluminum and it can be welded. Looks like its not going to be easy though. You need to have it fixed. The primary purpose of the Anti-Ventilation plate is to prevent air from being sucked down into the prop. Without it its likely to ventilate, lose bite and over-rev.

MnNice,

Uh-oh. Looks like you need to post your story along with the rest of us in the "Boat Mishaps/Problem Stories" thread smile I agree with others it will not require a L/U replacement, but it will be some spendy welding time.

Replacing the lower unit is something I'd look into, just for a cost comparison - you could get a used lower unit for X dollars... vs welding for Y dollars.. you'd have to consider the risk of the used lower unit having bad / worn out components and may need to swap them with what you have.. but something to keep in mind.

marine_man

Replacing the lower unit is something I'd look into, just for a cost comparison - you could get a used lower unit for X dollars... vs welding for Y dollars.. you'd have to consider the risk of the used lower unit having bad / worn out components and may need to swap them with what you have.. but something to keep in mind.

marine_man

good point. Either way, you have a solution.

what about a hydrofoil? some of those are really large. but you need enough to fasten it too. I don't know if that would work or if it's a stupid idea. maybe have brokenline fix it the best he can and then the hydrofoil?

Nate, no cabinet shop here, just a bench in my garage/shop. We could talk anytime though, I see we're almost neighbors!

Broken line, what a king & generous offer, thank you!! I know a few people around here with a mig, used to work at MVE in NP years ago. Like anything, its not what you know, its who you know!

I'll make some calls and get it this week.

Thanks all for the info.

Just to re-emphasise........I wouldn't even be thinking about this for very long. I'd be shipping this off to Jay in a second.

The work he has done for me is incredible. I fish the prairie potholes that are far from deep. Prop, skeg, and lower unit damage will happen. Sucks, but it happens. Jay does awesome work for a darn good price.

mig is for getting the job done fast with out worring about long term strength.

tig is takes forever but will be stronger than the surrounding aluminum.

when you get it welded dont let whoever welds it to paint it. use the motor a bit then look for cracking if it doesnt crack after a few runs paint er up! alumium even if it has a microsopic crack the engine vibration will quickly make it larger.

I had the same thing happen with my smaller motor...well an underwater log took mine out, but the end result looked almost the same.

I just bolted on a Hydrofoil. 3 screws holds it on pretty good. Plus it looks like there was one on there already. Can't you just put a new one on?

Just a thought.

All fixed, $30. Now just clean up a little and paint. Thanks to all. I may add a foil again, but I didn't think it made much of a performance difference anyway.

[img:left]c91da56a4aac.jpg