• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plan for this coming Fall???

Scoot

I'm curious to hear what everyone's plan is for this coming Fall. I've got a few things planned:

1) For the first time ever, I applied for a bear tag. I applied for a zone near my mother-in-law's cabin about 30 miles North of Detroit Lakes. It's apparently not a great area, but there definitely are some bears around there. It'd be fun to give it a try-- I've never done anything like that. Odds aren't too good for me to pull a tag-- maybe 1/3 or so.

2) I'll be doing another muley hunt in Western ND this year. I'm not sure when I'll get out there, but hopefully in early Sep I can sneak away. It'll probably be another four or five day deal, which is really fun.

3) I'm excited to get out and chase whitetails in MN and ND again. I always look forward to doing that...

What do you have planned for the year?

My 2010 Hunting Season already started. Dreamed of getting a turkey tag so figured I would apply and I got the tag for last week. Figured I would enjoy taking it with a bow over a shotgun and well I got my turkey on Thursday morning. Next I guess is helping my buddy get one with a bow then I think it's taking a deer with a bow. I am hoping for Pope and Young this year since I was 3/8" from it last year.

Cow/calf elk hunt in WY in September. Have to wait until June to see if we got drawn for doe/fawn antelope.

Bow hunt MN & WI after we get back from WY. Hope to follow up last year's P&Y with another one. Shoot some does in WI if the opp arises.

Duck hunt MN a couple days.

Opportunistic pheasant & grouse hunting, interspersed with cutting wood & bow hunting.

Fall turkey hunt in MN, if drawn.

Shotgun & rifle hunt MN for big one if not harvested with the bow. For a doe if any of my areas are managed or others with tags want help.

Muzzle loader hunt for a doe if any of my areas are managed & I didn't stick one with the bow.

Well I'm gonna muzzy for bear an if i connect I'll bow hunt for another one. No Quota. then archery for deer with a few walleye trips, then early doe, with a few walleye trips, then rifle for deer with a few walleye trips then muzzy for deer an if it hasent iced up then a few walleye trips. then when it ice's up alot of walleye trips. Boar

This will be my first archery hunt for whitetails. I have been shooting a lot with the new rig. I also plan to go to western SD for some archery Antelope with some buddies that did it last year. Then, maybe some archery prairie dogs!

I plan to hunt exclusively on my homestead for whitetails this year so I can learn the basics. Maybe 2011 I will try to find some more areas to hunt around here.

FLaker

Open bow season hopefully with a fat doe the first week of the season from old reliable 30 acre tract. Then begin trying for one of three 3 i never got a shot at last season.

IOWA, should get a tag this year with my preference points so I plan to spend at least the first, maybe the second week of november in a tree stand for an Iowa bruiser.

Then back to MN until the seasons are over or Im out of tags.

Enjoy time with my wife and youngest daughter in the woods, hopefully watch her excitement as she puts one down.

Working with another daughter and her boyfriend on thier 1st year of bow hunting.

For myself, an upclose look and contact with "hightower", buck I have been after for 2 years.

Possibly trying to video a hunt also.

Mark

Cow Elk & Muley in ND hopefully complete by the end of September. If not it's going to cost me a lot of gas!

Hopefully be able to get out in MN before rifle season for whitetail. That's about all the time I have for fall.

Have been scouting for the past month. Hope to have a few spots pin pointed for this year's rut.

Bear hunting and Goose hunting First week in September in Squaw Lake, MN. It will be my first year chasing a bear so that will be interesting.

Bow Opener in Perham, MN hoping to arrow my first buck.

Then Duck Opener in Squaw Lake, MN. Probably bow hunt there in the evenings.

Then Bow hunting in Wright, Clay, Becker and Itasca Counties until rifle opens.

Rifle in Squaw Lake, MN first weekend and then Frazee, MN second weekend, and then back to Squaw Lake for third weekend.

Then Bow hunt until I can't take the cold any more.

Last year I arrowed my first deer with a bow in my 4th season of bow hunting. This year I hope to improve on the small doe I shot opening weekend last year.

Same ol for me. Rifle and bow hunting in ND and maybe muzzleloader in Minnesota.

Thats if I pull a rifle tag for ND which I will more than likely not since I had one last fall.

I may need to watch many deer walk by with the bow to extend my season.

My dad and I were drawn again this year for Montana elk, so we will go chase them around the Missouri River Breaks again this fall. Besides that I will probably hunt deer in Wisconsin again. An old friend of mine said he wants to hunt more this fall, so I may hunt more of Minnesota this year since he lives down in Mankato.

My dad and I were drawn again this year for Montana elk, so we will go chase them around the Missouri River Breaks again this fall.

Cheetah, I'm confused... you couldn't have drawn a "Breaks" tag yet, could you? I know the general draw results were out a while ago, but I didn't think the limited tag units' draw was available for a while. I assume you've drawn your general tag, but are waiting to hear about a "Breaks" unit, right? Or do you have a general unit that is very near the "Breaks"?

Huh, interesting... I didn't know that. I assume you have to draw a general tag first though, right? Or, is it just a guaranteed deal for a bow tag? Also, is there a limit to the number of people who can get these tags? If no, how bad is the pressure?

Still have to do the general drawing, which is 50/50, and a good chance of back to back years to be drawn.

I am actually wrong about the archery permit. It USED to be unlimited, but they changed it in 2008 to a limited number... For 2010 they have 1260 permits available, same in 2009. In 2008 they had 1670 permits. I just checked the 2009 results and there was a 72% chance of being drawn for the permit.

Sorry bout that.

I've been hunting back there with my dad I think 5 times now. The first time for me was in maybe 2002, I can't remember for sure right now. He's been hunting it for the last 25 or so years. It used to be you could go in there and never see another person, and my first year there was like that, but now there are a lot of guys that figured it out and it's getting worse each year and has hurt the herd a bit I think. I think that is why the state finally put a limit on the permit numbers for the area for archery and is starting to trim it down as well.

Plans for this fall. A little fishing in WI this year as my daughter moved back from Seattle and lives in Monomania. Hope to take the grandchild out as much as possible. Had a none successful spring turkey hint but a great time in the field. If all works out No quota bear hunt on are land east of Mora MN with son. He would like to try for his first bear. Not that I've had any luck yet. Seen plenty of bears just waiting for a bigger one. And then bow hunting with brother and family. All the way up to the close of the year. I have to say I like late season bow hunting, no one else out. Then me and the wife go to vermilion for a week fishing usually July or August, Might have family come up this year with us. Still hoping for my first muskie. If not there I spend what time I have on Minnetonka Lake for all the big fish species. Also still trying to understand new Hummingbird 997 SI. But love it so far. Sounds like a full summer already.