• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

diesel question

ive been looking at getting a diesel truck.. leaning towards a duramax? but i am open to other trucks for what ever reason. let me know what you guys think about the diesel trucks and pros n cons... also ive heard you can tune them so they get low 20's for MPG? is that true? my boss has a duramax and can only get 15 with it? Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking at new trucks? I cant vouch for Fords new 6.7 diesel engine as for reliability, but they sure have balls! And they are predicting best millage. If nothing else, go drive one and compare.

I'm in the same boat. Later this summer, I'm going to try and buy my cousins (arizona truck) '08 dodge cummins. it will have 15k on it. he put fresh air intake, new exhaust and airbags on it and he gets 20 or a little better on the highway. He's cutting me a sweet deal, so I'm gonna try and make the budget work!! Other than that, i've been looking at anything from an '02 to an '05 or so with 150k or more miles. I figure I'll spend a little more and get the dodge, with 3 years warranty left, with very, very low miles!! Heard great things about the cummins as well, but i've been looking at all 3 lately, and I think it's personal preference. You have guys out there that are brand loyal, and they won't even consider anything else. so you'll hear a dodge guy say he won't touch a powerstroke, and a chevy guy that won't go near a cummins........you get the picture!! smile good luck, I can't wait until I can get a sticker for my truck that says "real trucks don't have spark plugs"!!

My mom has an '03 Duramax and we have taken it several times out west and consistantly got 20-21 mpg at 70-75 mph on the interstate. I have heard the new ones get terrible mileage because of the new emissions standards. I looked at buying an '09, but the salesman said I would be lucky if I got 13-14 mpg with it. Settled for an '09 half ton for now. GM is working on it, sounds like they may have something figured out by the time the '11's come out. My mom has never had any trouble with her Duramax. My brother has an '06 and that has also been a great truck.

yeah all that emissons stuff is a joke. the ppl that control that have no clue what there doing.. like burning more fuel but having a little less emissions is a better trade off... has anyone used any of the computer tuners? do they increase millage or power much?

Are you looking to buy new or used ?

The best motor out there is by far the Cummins engine, no doubt about it, but many people don't like the brand it goes with.

My second choice would be a Duramax too. Fords were good with the 7.3l.

You can get Cummins engines to run the 20s mpg calculated (not just by looking at the overhead display).

ALL 3 manufacturer newest motors have problem being fuel efficient due to emission control, and as somebody commented it does not make sense.

Tuners, boxes, programmers, etc add from small amount of power to incredible boost of "energy" that will put a smile on your face and a "yeehaw" in your comments. They work off motor timing, fueling pressure, etc.

The truck component that will take the beating of all this is your transmission (or clutch if you have a manual), and you can destroy them very quickly if not taken care of, even the mighty Allison will go to heaven with a 130hp box.

If you stay with a mild upgrade (around 60hp max) it will be not as harsh on your drivetrain and you will add a decent "kick" and little better fuel mileage.

im not looking to get a new one.. used is what i would go with.. the only problem i have with the cummins although they have tons of torque atleast the ones ive been in, they arnt all that quick which is why i was looking closer at a duramax?

Another Cummins/Dodge vote here. Three in my family...dads 98' with 300k+, my 03' with 137k, and father is laws 2010 with 2k! I can't say anything bad about these trucks.

Duck.....the Cummins aren't all that quick compared to the duramax? I have no idea what different there is, but are you planning on racing or something?

Not that I have ever driven a Duramax, but if I put the pedal down on the Cummins it goes pretty good (and that's without a progrmmer). I'm not sure what a quicker 2500 truck is going to get you above what they do now?

drive a duramax then. ive been in a 02 cummins with programmer, cold air, and exhaust and it just didnt seem like it was all that quick... im not racing no but i want something that isnt just a torque monster that actually has some speed to it... diesels are the new "hot rods"... cummins seem to be really reliable i just cant make my mind up cummins, strokers, or duramax?

My 07 Classic CCSB Duramax is being shipped as we speak from Texas. It has an intake, programmer, and exhaust. Seller (who seems to be a straight shooter) claims 22-23 at 65-70 in economy mode. So if I get 20 I will be more than happy. I have been looking for a while but hadn't planned on buying one for a year or two yet. I got this one for $18500 so I couldnt pass it up.

drive a duramax then.

No need, I didn't buy my truck to be a hotrod and it's plenty fast for normal daily driving. It's a little slower in the lower gears but takes off once it hits overdrive.

If I wanted a hotrod I would buy a 67' Camaro!! wink

Oh yea....I can tell you that my father in law that just bought the 2010 Dodge previously ran Ford powerstrokes (traded the last one in). After his last two he is done because of the engine reliability he experienced.

Oh yea....I can tell you that my father in law that just bought the 2010 Dodge previously ran Ford powerstrokes (traded the last one in). After his last two he is done because of the engine reliability he experienced.

why arnt they good? ive heard both ways for the 6.0 some ppl hate em some ppl love em.. they do have power ive riding in a 2006 alot. we got a 7.3 at work with 260,000 imo its gutless i would never think about owning one they are reliable tho

The 6.0 and 6.4 had some huge issues when they came out. The were literally popping injectors out of the head. I drive a dodge with the hemi, have had both ford and chevy diesels in the past and would put the dodge cummins against either of them. If you are looking for a quick out of the gate truck, the cummins isnt the one you want, however if you are buying a diesel for the quickness and top speed, not hauling a load etc, it is a lot of wasted truck in my thought. granted they are great long life engines but are designed for a load too. I love the guys that live here in phx that buy the 50k ford put a lift kit and way oversized wheels on it for city driving. it makes it tough for those of us that do need a truck to haul things a good deal on them. good luck, the best darn engine made was the chevy 6.5 lt diesel, lmao.

Another vote for Duramax. Can't beat the Allison transmission. Rolling 2nd gear burnouts and sub 7 second 0-60 times are the best. driver.gif I never had a hot rod when I was young so I guess I'm making up for it now. Try pulling a boat with a '67 Camaro. wink

The Cummins is a solid engine and is a proven package as well. Probably can't go wrong with either.

I've never owned one but I drive my buddies Duramax often. He previously had an 02 Duramax with 486,000 when he sold it in 05 and bought a new one. He currently has 425,000 on the 05 and it still runs like a champ. He also has a Bullydog controller, but only uses the low setting. The Allisons on both trucks were/are original.

Cant complain about that..... wink