• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insurance for ATV

bgfish00

Some of us at work started talking about this. A guy told me here that his Home owners does not cover his ATV or Dirt Bikes if his garage is burnt down, or the unit is stolen. Looking into a policy they get quite pricey and they want full coverage and such even though I am not on the roads and such.

Have any of the Public Places started asking for this as well?

I had ATVs insured for as little as $10/month. Not sure what you're calling pricey, but I haven't seen it very expensive unless a person has a bad driving record.

As far as homeowners insurance covering recreational vehicles, you'll have to talk to your agent to find out the specifics of your policy. But as I mentioned above, a stand alone policy on the ATVs isn't that bad for full coverage. Well worth it if you have a bad wreck or it's stolen.

Good to know. I had not done the pricing, my co-worker had and said his dirt bikes seemed pricey. I will certainly price this out as it seems well worth it. Has anyone run into any pubic lands and such looking for you to have insurance?

I haven't seen any that required it or know of any that do. But it's never been an issue since I carried full coverage anyway.

The benefits definitely out-weigh the cost. After I thought about it, there are states that will cost you $500/year on one machine. But there's a higher incident rate of theft and serious injury than we have here in MN.

I recommend not putting it on your homeowners. If you do and and have claims you may cause you insurance to be cancelled. I had 3 claims on being a stolen atv along with two other small claims and they cancelled. Also be sure to list anything attached is listed also. If not listed it will not be covered my either part of the insurance, the ATV part and the homeowners part. The homeowners will cover the loose items like tools with a second deductable. I lost 500 on a new winch (replaced old) 500 on the ATV insurance and another 300 on the tools etc. Also list anything that may be attached at some time. Best get a separate policy but do not put on your homeowners.

I have progressive insurance on my wheeler, and it seems like a good price.I was paying 99 a year, then a couple weeks ago, I got a letter from them stating that I have been a great customer, and went into a elite level, just to get my new premium a week later, now 110 bucks. so did they just butter me up, so they could raise my premium? crazy

What companies are you guys using? My 650 costs me 38 a month for full coverage. My Raptor costs me 4 bucks a month for liability.

Where are you getting insurance from? That is more than all my vehicles combined. I would look around.

I 2nd LEP7MM, I'm with Foremost (via agent) with 2 4x4's and my tab is $176/ year Full Coverage. That DOES include dropping it in the drink, garage burning down, being stolen or anything/anytime on a trailer behind the truck. Great Company! Don't listen to rumors, ask those that have been there, done that. Phred52

I'm with American Family.

I'm in the $48 buck range (per 6 mos), well was until my agent told me half my premium was for uninsured/underinsured motorist. Meaning I had protection from being run into by an uninsured ATVer.

The choice to drop that coverage was based on the fact we don't go out trail riding for a weekend more than maybe once a year.

When I dropped that coverage on my Polaris 500, it was a wash to add the Honda 400. So still, $48, but now for two ATVs.

Im with Am Fam (work insurance claims, one of the best) and the 800 Polaris is around $175 a year.

A few years ago while with State Farm had a 700 Polaris stolen. The blue book value was $4,500 and they paid $5,500.

Theft claims are really bad. If you have two you stand a good chance at getting canceled. My agent had some things from his cabin stolen and he filed a claim and got all new things. Next time he went up everything he bought was stolen. For fear of being cancelled he didn't file.

You want seperate insurance policies for every possible item that can be insured that way. To many claims against your home owners policy is not good except if they are weather related.

I just got a call about the motorcycle yesterday. I was at $287/year for the Concours through Allied. I had to go through them since I didn't have a policy on a motorcycle for a period of 6 months prior. I will be paying $183/year now through Progressive.

Saving money is always a good thing. grin