• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fire Lucia

scsavre

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the text from the Grand Forks Herald -

Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais, who led UND to national titles in 1997 and 2000, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Mavericks.

Blais is now under contract through 2014-15.

“The university is clearly committed to the success of the hockey program and I am committed to the job we began here last season,” Blais said. “My wife and I have come to enjoy Omaha and with this extension, I anticipate being able to finish my head coaching career at Omaha.”

Omaha will join the Western Collegiate Hockey Association next season.

With Minnesota’s struggles the last three years, boosters have continually mentioned Blais as a possible candidate if coach Don Lucia were to leave. Blais played at Minnesota in the 1970s.

Whoops, doesn't sound too rosy anymore. Guenzntel would probably be an upgrade to their current situation, but I think a broader search would be wise. It shouldn't be hard to convince an up and comer coach to take a shot with the Gopher program.

I didn't see this coming. What is wrong with Minnesota. They could have Blais at anytime. I wonder if there's stepulations in the contract on whether Blais can resign to take an offer from another team but I'm sure its doubtful.

I dont know if he was drolling, but there have been more than a few occasions where Blais said he wanted the Gopher job.

As far as who we get now, who knows. I have no idea who is out there. When we got Lucia he was an obvious choice. I dont see that out there now. Guentzel, sure but he just seems like the perfect assistant coach, not head coach. Why, I dont know.

I dont know what Lucia has worked out with our Director, but he manages to be the highest paid coach who can loose as much as he wants to.

I still think we need a change, clear out the hole staff. But I just dont know who would be a the man. Maybe we are stuck with Don for 2 more years. Hey, they rehired out football looser.

Good grief guys! I actually thought there might be some breaking news here with 9 reply's! smile

The extension talk has been known all season and is no surprise at all it's how the game works.

You can bet your arse he has an out to take either the Minnesota or North Dakota jobs if HE wants at ANY_TIME!!

Carry on!

Its hard to say. He has another year on his contract. The gophs are already dishing out millions paying off other fired coaches. Well, maybe just Mason. I cant remember. I just think Lucia is digging his own grave by having the staff that he does. Hill and Potulny are embarrassing.

I tell ya, it is tough seeing all our past assistants out there doing well. Butters, guenzel, Blais, Motzko, Hastings.

I did notice that Guentzels house in Woodbury is for sale. Doesnt look like he will be coming here, or following Blais here, and I would think Hastings is in line for the UNO job if that happens. I just dont know what to think.

We need someone who can develop all these superstars we recruit. We need a special teams coach and we need someone who can teach these kids positioning.

Steve Johnson. I'm just throwing that name out there. He's a Grand Forks native who coach in the USHL for awhile. He's now an assistant with SCSU. Been there a year.

Is there any name you could see coaching the Gophers?

I could maybe see Tom Serratore going there. If BSU makes a good run here people are gonna take notice of his coaching.

Steve Johnson probably won't ever happen. Just trying to come up with alist of names that could be.

Tom Serratore's name will likely come up for coaching jobs but I would be surprised if he left. His son is a sophomore this year (this kid is pretty good) and he has another kid in middle school. He seems like a family guys that is happy where he is. I can't imagine he would want a team like the U or any other high profile school.

Steve Johnson will be a good coach.

I think the rodents need someone they are afraid of as a coach. Some of the superstars have always given me the impression that they are coddled and get whatever they want. Not usually a good thing with 18-21 year olds.

Serratore has no chance, and I think he likes Bemidji. I would doubt Johnson as well.

Id say

Blais

Guentzel

Scott Hill (doubtful but has done wonders at Hamlines terrible program)

Maybe Motzko

Honestly if it isnt one of these top guys, we could just keep Lucia. I really think it is all about the assistants for the Gophs. When Guentzel left we really fell apart.

Hang on now. I haven't made any comments on here since last year. Was actually planning on keeping a low profile until the end of the week. Sort of a rest for a solid playoff stretch of piling on. Any talk of firing Lucia without bringing up ousting Maturi is just another step in the wrong direction.