• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

A carp on a kayak, now you have me thinking! I have been fishing out of my kayak quite a bit this summer. I would love to see the pull a carp would give while on my yak!

It's epic. Go over to Calhoun and chase them. They get so big in there that you almost get nervous swimming...

Tony what kind of conditions are catching them in this time of the year?

what kind of lake, depth, weeds, bait, etc.? I would love to catch another- only caught a few in my life and the last one put up an epic battle (small stream in Michigan!)- got him on a soft-crawdad/jig, he hit it like whale!

they were all caught in the back waters of the Mississippi. They were all in 1-4ft of water and caught on spoons. Yeah these fish are ridiculously fun, I found my self targeting these fish more than bass or northern the last couple times out haha.

308332_10150871795200556_893480555_21197

312577_10150871794365556_893480555_21197

something kind of different for this thread. I bought this guy today and introduced him into my 150gallon aquarium for the winter...He will be the first addition to our pond when we get it finished in the spring..

caught these two on a small jig with a Powerbait with 4 lb. test on an ultra lite on the Minnehaha Creek in Edina about a month ago- had to really tire them out to land them and that is why I was able to photograph them together as one was still resting by shore- first time I've ever caught carp on an artificial!

will be interesting to see if these two make it thru the winter in their little pool- they've got about a half dozen buddies with 'em too

this summer I recall reading an article on the Star Trib. site about a big carp kill along a stretch of the Minnehaha that they blamed on a virus- would anyone here know where that might have happened? I am guessing somewhere between Edina and the Miss.

Too bad it happened- its fun catching carp in little creeks, but they don't get to take very hard runs!

0904111822.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

caught these two on a small jig with a Powerbait with 4 lb. test on an ultra lite on the Minnehaha Creek in Edina about a month ago- had to really tire them out to land them and that is why I was able to photograph them together as one was still resting by shore- first time I've ever caught carp on an artificial!

will be interesting to see if these two make it thru the winter in their little pool- they've got about a half dozen buddies with 'em too

this summer I recall reading an article on the Star Trib. site about a big carp kill along a stretch of the Minnehaha that they blamed on a virus- would anyone here know where that might have happened? I am guessing somewhere between Edina and the Miss.

Too bad it happened- its fun catching carp in little creeks, but they don't get to take very hard runs!

0904111822.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DNR has a link about it. Looks like it was found by the falls.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/svc.html

DNR has a link about it. Looks like it was found by the falls.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/svc.html

thanks for the info flyfisher

ya gotta wonder why once something like that gets into the Mississippi watershed, it doesn't spread like wildfire and wipe out all the adult carp up and down the river

sounds like a question for Dr. Sorensen at U of M

BTW the carp pictured above are still in their little Minnehaha pool- look to be settled for the winter with a bunch of their pals and a lone walleye, too!

I'll leave them alone till next spring

wow, good job popriveter!

I figured the carp season in the metro was all over with for the year- what did you catch them on?

I noticed a couple of months ago that the carp seemed to disappear from the shallows in all the lakes I was checking from shore- wonder how you got into them?

could they be holed up in their winter spot already, and it just happens to be the shallows on that lake?

so much to learn about those crafty critters.....:)

The carp were accidental by-catch. I was casting a little floating rap and catching small pike (and one big crappie.) Right at dusk, a school of carp got in the way and made for some fun. I didn't have any bait along to expressly fish for them. They were in Gun Club lake (mn river backwater) where it is all very shallow. If you PM me, I can direct you to the spot.

thanks for the additional info popriviter- I tried to pop you a PM but it says something about over the limit or something

anyway, I figured out where Gun Club Lake is- would never have guessed it would be a good spot, but I'll have to check it out next spring