• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Captain Phil had a stroke!! (deadliest catch)

Ryan_V

He is a trooper and I really enjoy watching his ship. But I don't know how many more trips out he's going to take. His habits are not going to impress too many cardiologists.

I am pumped about the new season. Doesn't it usually start in March? or April?

He is a trooper and I really enjoy watching his ship. But I don't know how many more trips out he's going to take. His habits are not going to impress too many cardiologists.

I am pumped about the new season. Doesn't it usually start in March? or April?

Is he the chain smoker?

Between him and Sid (of the Northwestern), be interesting to see who smokes more.

Phil's luck with that engine on his ship probably isn't helping matters either. Could have replaced it brand new 2 times over with the amount of money (and time) sunk in to repairs.

Good luck to Phil, wish him and his family the best.

smoking probably doesnt help, but he had blood clots, once you have one you are more at risk for developing more, my guess is he threw a clot to his brain.

If he was out at sea, getting necessary medical care would take hours in hopes to reverse the damage started with clot busting drugs. The typical needed time to inject those drugs is 3 hours, which is probably would be the time needed to get coast guard there.

Love the Phil and Godspeed captain!

They were actually off-loading at St. Paul island, so he was brought to the hospital there, then medivac out. That's what I read anyway. Lucky for him he wasn't 200 miles out to sea!! Wish him the best, but his habits might be catching up with him!!

smoking probably doesnt help, but he had blood clots, once you have one you are more at risk for developing more, my guess is he threw a clot to his brain.

If he was out at sea, getting necessary medical care would take hours in hopes to reverse the damage started with clot busting drugs. The typical needed time to inject those drugs is 3 hours, which is probably would be the time needed to get coast guard there.

Love the Phil and Godspeed captain!

My guess is the smoking is the reason he had blood clots too. I love watching the show and Capt. Phil, but he kind of over-did it with the smokes and Red Bull. In one of the shows he had 2 cigs going in his mouth at once.

Luckily they were docked unloading when it happened or else he would probably be dead.

All these guys that do this job look like they are burning the candle from both ends to do their jobs! If the sea doesn't get them, their life style will! frown I would really love to try going out with them for a day to pull up some crab just to be part of it. But one day would be about it! crazy

All these guys that do this job look like they are burning the candle from both ends to do their jobs! If the sea doesn't get them, their life style will! frown I would really love to try going out with them for a day to pull up some crab just to be part of it. But one day would be about it! crazy

But, I bet they would be fun to go out and have a drink with!

It's a high octane job and it usually manifests itself with a high octane lifestyle. I honestly think the insane amounts of caffiene are worse for you than the smoking. But you can't sleep at the wheel, so there really aren't a lot of alternatives.

I wish him the best. You gotta love his heart, going right back out after the pulmonary embolism he had, which is often fatal.

An update from the Cornilia Marie HSOforum:

Posted on February 6, 2010 - by morgan

Capt. Phil makes progress toward recovery

Capt. Phil was talking to friends and family today; showing his greatest progress since he suffered a massive stroke one week ago. It’s been a long and difficult week for friends and family as Phil was medivaced from St. Paul Island and under went surgery.

Capt. Phil’s sons Josh and Jake have been at this hospital and continue to stay by their father’s side. Some Bering Sea fishermen have also come by to pay Phil a visit.

Meanwhile, the F/V Cornelia Marie has been back fishing for Opilios. The season has really just begun, so there’s much more fishing to do.

Great folks from around the world have sent their messages of encouragement and get-well soon greetings – for this, we will always be thankful. Many cards have been sent and they will all get to Phil as he recovers.

I would be surprised if he was ever able to go out again if he did indeed have a MASSIVE stroke....If you know anyone that's had one you know exactly what I mean...you're never the same again. Too bad, I really did like the guy. he was one of my favorites as I could relate to his struggle with bad habits AND his teenage sons that made him crazy. I'm pulling for him.