• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crossing water?

broken_line

Not to appear like the Internet Warden here, but I don't believe it's ever been the position of HSO to promote illegal activities.

From page 23 of the MN DNR Snowmobile regs:

It is unlawful to:

• operate your snowmobile in a careless, reckless, or heedless

manner that endangers the operator, or property of another, or

causes injury or damage (Intentionally driving over open water,

or water skipping, may be considered careless or reckless unless

done as an event under special permit.)

Take the above advice, and you better be wearing a wet suit on the 340 Cat. smirk

If it's the only way to take, I don't think it would be considered wreckless. If it's only 10 yards across, thats like little puddle, you can make it no problem, It's not like you are skipping the water for fun, it's your only way out and I don't think you would get a ticket for that. Have fun!!

its not illegal if im crossing private waters right? thats what i got out of my wreckless driving post. well todays the day i have to cross it so i will let you know how it does.

You will want to contact your local CO for verification.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if this body of water is a creek or river, and/or a tributary to another body of water, it would be considered public, therefore making it illegal. The land on either side may be private, but the water is not.

In short, the Mississippi River could run through your property, but it doesn't mean you have ownership of that body of water.

there is a small river about 10 yards wide that i have to cross at that point in order to get to the other side... its about 3 to 4 feet deep but its all open.. would a artic cat jag 340

make it if it was goosed all the way across?

If you try this, please setup a camera so we can see how you did it. Or not! crazylaugh

i would think its one of those deals it's only illeagal if you dont make it...lol

i guess the illegal part would be the least of my worries

it would amount to some small fine (unless the dnr or sherriff had to get you and your sled out)

i would be more concerned about getting soaked to the bone

and the cost to the sled you said it was 3-4 ft deep so that will cover your sled

Your can cross 10 yards going minimal speeds, no problems. What damage are you doing by crossing over water anyhow with your sled, if he sinks he will be the one to pay someone to get him out and the fines, whats the big deal. It's illegal to Pis* outside but we all do it.

My buddy had a single carb 340 with leaf spring front suspension and that thing could skip over 100' distance on the water. Still laughing remembering it. Hope it works out fine. Try hitting the water at 20 to 30 and then pin her. Good luck

Just ease the skis tips up to the water and punch it! smile

yeah, DONT ease up to it. if the bank your coming off of is reasonably flat, get some speed up to it. 30 mph should do, then gun it once you hit. keep your weight back on the sled.

This shouldn't be any problem. I wouldn't even think twice about it hitting it.

Your can cross 10 yards going minimal speeds, no problems. What damage are you doing by crossing over water anyhow with your sled, if he sinks he will be the one to pay someone to get him out and the fines, whats the big deal. It's illegal to Pis* outside but we all do it.

Crossing the water isn't the issue. The soft bank on either side is. Not to mention gas and oil from the sled in the event a person doesn't make it across. I could go on and on. The bottom line is, the law is the law. If the OP decides to press his luck, then I'll be the first to wish him the best. Just be ready to accept the circumstances if something goes wrong.

Crossing the water isn't the issue. The soft bank on either side is. Not to mention gas and oil from the sled in the event a person doesn't make it across. I could go on and on. The bottom line is, the law is the law. If the OP decides to press his luck, then I'll be the first to wish him the best. Just be ready to accept the circumstances if something goes wrong.

What exactly is a "soft bank"?

oil and gas shouldn't be too much of an issue even if you did go in. They are more or less sealed systems (yes the gas has a vent). Either way, do it up. He11, I'm half tempted to ask you where it is, so I can go hit it.

Dude, find a safe way around the thing! Or if your crossing the land its on anyway see if you can put up a little sled bridge that you and others can use to get across. Check with a sled club down there maybe they would help! Just don't end up on one of the Great Wipe Out Shows! crazysmile

he11, I want to come and skip it too, actually I love skipping water. I bet an outboard motor releases more chemicals in a lake then a snowmobile would. Soft bank.......you show me a soft bank here in january in MN, isnt everything about frozen, not much erosion going on. my vote is skip it, skip it again and again.

What exactly is a "soft bank"?

Maybe that wasn't the right choice of words. I was referring to the muddy banks of the river/creek. We could go on and on in regards to crossing this body of water and go into great detail about this law and that law and how they all tie into one event...but I won't.

The OP will do as he wishes, legal or not. I've provided the information he may want to take into consideration..or maybe not. It doesn't need to go any farther than that.

never ceses to amaze me how you cant do anything these days without someone trying to control it with laws agaisnt sinking your own sled?...but w/e, if the bank is flat just get a good run at it and you'll be fine. on my 600 rev i could put right up to the waters edge and gun it and it would pop right outa the water and go..