• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Man vs. Wild

bunkerbay

This guy is nuts! Im pretty used to seeing him eating disgusting stuff to survive. Now this year he seems to be all about heights! The last few episodes I saw he was crossing mountain tops by rope or dangling 500 ft on a chain hanging from railroad bridge. OK im watching right now and now he just ran out of a train tunnel just in time from being run over after feeling the vibrations on the track. How much of this is made up or real???

Either way its very entertaining and ill keep watching!

Flow of show for any episode of Man v Wild:

Start show: Get placed in a ridiculous predicament

1st half of show: Go to the furthest, hardest to reach place from where you are, in fear of death

2nd half of show: After reaching your destination, go back to a place similar to where you started, in fear of death

End show, with "lessons" learned.

I swear: if he's up, he has to go down. If he's down, he has to go up. If he's wet, he has to get dry. If he's dry, he has to get wet. This show is all about contradictions, and filming style doesn't make it any more real to me at all.

It should be called: Man, Camera crew, Rescue team, and Producers vs. Wild.

It is true, Man v. Wild is staged - Bear Grylllis was outed thanks to youtube. I believe that they now show a disclaimer at the beginning of the show.

Survivorman was the real thing, the guy quit doing the show because of the toll it took on his body to film each episode.

I dont think he ever tried to hide the fact that he had help. The disclaimer was there from the beginning saying that he recieves help in dangerous situations. He never tried to make it look like he was taping himself the whole time. I prefer Bear over survivorman anyday. Alot more action compared to survivorman making a fort and fire and staying there for days.

Sadly, I can see where the average television viewer would prefer an action-based survival series as opposed to one that provides advice that might actually save your life.

"The Office" did an episode where Michael went out into the woods to play "Survivorman." I think that the average television viewer would have about as much luck as he did.

This guy is nuts! Im pretty used to seeing him eating disgusting stuff to survive. Now this year he seems to be all about heights! The last few episodes I saw he was crossing mountain tops by rope or dangling 500 ft on a chain hanging from railroad bridge. OK im watching right now and now he just ran out of a train tunnel just in time from being run over after feeling the vibrations on the track. How much of this is made up or real???

Either way its very entertaining and ill keep watching!

This show should be Banded! He gives out so much Bad and Dangerous advise to people who really may need to try and survive some day! And running down mountains, sliding down rock slides, and jumping off cliffs at break neck speed is a good way to break and ankle or leg and then die anyway! Your feet and legs are the only things that are going to get you out of something, and you should never chance damaging them by doing the stupid &^%$ he does! crazy

I pretty much gave up on the show this season when he collected contaminated water and rather than drink it, he gave himself an enema on camera. It's all for show now, it's all about what he'll do next, not realistic survival.

Survivorman was better because he was more of an ordinary guy being put in extraordinary situations and it was real. Most of the time he failed at spearing a fish or snaring a rodent. And that's pretty much what would happen to any of us. We'd end up eating grass or twigs like he does.

Bear Grylls throws a log and hits a rabbit at 30 yards, I mean COME ON!

I think everything I've ever read about survival is to hunker down in a shelter with a fire. When is the last time you saw Bear light a fire with matches? Matches that we are all told from our early days in the woods to carry at all times.

Bear is all about going away from the "drop site" and expending energy. Energy that should be saved for use in the long haul waiting for a search party. Fire is to alert the search party. That's where Survivorman is boring but accurate. It doesn't make for great TV, though, and we all know who's still on TV.

The only reason Les Stroud does not do Survivorman is because the show took a HUGE toll on him. I can see why. He actually went out and survived. Made shelters, collected wood, collected his own food, made fire out of nothing. He took real world situations and showed us all how to survive. I even remember a few shows that he had to be rescued because the conditions were so bad(Survival in a raft at sea, and somewhere wayyy up north). I even remember the show he and a friend were "hunting" and had to survive together. They had guns and still only managed to eat a few things of local fauna and i believe a bird or two.

Neither of these tv shows actually show you how to survive, are you telling me that by watching one hour (commercials included) that with the information you learned in the movie you could go out and survive? These shows are purely for entertainment, and i would bet that a survival expert would say the same thing

Neither of these tv shows actually show you how to survive, are you telling me that by watching one hour (commercials included) that with the information you learned in the movie you could go out and survive? These shows are purely for entertainment, and i would bet that a survival expert would say the same thing

Les Stroud is a survival expert. Bear is a TV celebrity.

yes thats true, but does his show truly show you how to survive. The skills you learn from watching the show are all you need!? Im just saying neither of these shows really show you that much, They are entertaining though.

And I would bet Les Stroud wouldn't say that oh yeah after watching my show, you are ready to take on a survival situation. Even being a survival expert

They are both for entertainment, however, I would rather be stranded with Bear then Les any day.

At least Bear could go and get help or a rescue. With someone of his training and skills, you could be pretty confident he could do it right and get the job done and get you outta there.

with Les, on the other hand, he could help you survive..... for a week, but then you'd starve to death after watching him bleed out from cutting himself with his knife. (I've never seen someone so careless with a knife). When have you ever seen the guy catch ANYTHING? All he did was hunker down and eat twigs. After his week was up, they'd come rescue him.

I've always enjoyed Bear more, even though I knew his show was pretty far fetched and I knew dang well I could never keep up with him.... not even close!

Although Survivorman is a great show, no it wont teach you everything you need to know in an hour. I dont think its meant to either. It just gives you a few basic ideas if your caught in the woods or whatever. There are books, videos, classes that people can attend if they are serious about learning survival.

One thing that's really starting to bother me about Man vs Wild is Bear's continual jumping in to unknown water depths from high elevations. Not only is that EXTREMELY dangerous, but some people may actually do it because they "saw Bear do it on TV so it must be safe".

I'll continue watching the show just for pure entertainment value though. I hope he goes to some more desert conditions, I like seeing what he's willing to drink to survive.