• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What fight do you like better a gill or a crappie?

south_metro_fish

After catching some of both in the same day this weekend, I wondered what others thought. I think the gills really pull harder, you never really know how big they are till you get them up and if you have your drag set lose enough they can actually pull some line out. Crappies seem to do more of the bobbing and they can pull pretty good too. They also are more of a challenge with their paper mouths. So I really don't know what one I like better, their both fun.

Gills do seem to fight harder for their size but it's a tough call. Back in August caught a ton of gills, crappies and rock bass on my ultralight and the one that fought the hardest seemed to be the rock bass (but they were bigger fish too). It seems like gills always put up a fight but the crappie I pulled in tonight seemed to be a dead weight and not much more fight.

Neither.

Based on personal experiences, pumpkinseeds take the cake.

There's a lake in Michigan my grandparents have a house on, and I can always tell when I hook into a pumpkinseed rather than any other panfish.

However, it does seem to be pretty local to that lake that the pumpkinseeds are bigger and beefier than their couple of MN cousins I've hooked into recently.

I don't know WHY the pumpkinseeds are noticeably different than the gills in that lake, but they just are. It certainly is a puzzler to me.

Ya I don't know how many times I have got a nice crappie right up to the hole and they hit the edge of the ice or give one last pull and come off the jig as you grab for them and down the hole they go as you get your arm all wet trying to grab them again. I think its funny though when that last kick propels them right out the hole and they fly into the air and on to the ice.

I'm a gill man myself. Agree about the p-seeds too. Pound for pound, one of the toughest. Gotta love the gillie spin, but hard to beat a vicious crappie inhalation, pull down or up bite!

Just gets the juices flowing...Let's go fishing!

On the ice a bluegill circling the hole is a real thrill and even a 6" can fool you at first. So I love gills in the winter!

A 10" gill to a 14" crappie would probably favor the crappie. I've caught both and on an ultralight a 10" gill from shore going in all directions is really a good fight! I've only caught large crappies out of the boat or through the ice and it still feels more like dead weight but the excitement of those large crappies on the line is tough to beat!

Where I really like the crappies is in the fall when you throw out a swimming bait like a crappie thumper. On a windy day when those crappies hit they will give you an awesome fight trying to get them to the boat! Fighting both the waves and the fish results in some of my favorite fishing all year!