• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris gas cap assembly/repair

Steve Foss

Hey guys:

I just traded photo services for a 1992 Polaris Indy Trail DLX. It's a 2-up with reverse, heated grips, electric start, 488 air cooled. Only 1,492 miles and in near mint shape.

I had it out on the trails today and the only issue I found was that the threaded portion of the gas tank where the cap screws on is cracked, and it leaked gas with a full gas tank. What do you think is the best product to repair that crack/break? Plastic weld cement?

Also, I'm looking at replacing the gas cap/dipstick gauge assembly because the plastic top to the cap is so mildewed that you can't read how much gas is in there. Any idea where the best place is online for older Polaris parts?

Thanks, man.

I'm really hoping not to have to replace the tank. I've gotta think some type of plastic cement/epoxy/weld that's gas resistant would work but figured someone in here would know. smile

Come to think of it, I bet a strip of duct tape carefully applied so it hugs all the contours of the threads would offer some temporary relief and still allow the cap to screw on. It's not like it's under pressure or anything. Hmmmm.

This crack is below where the cap threads end when tightened, but still on the neck threads themselves, not at all on the smooth portion of the tank below the threads. If the cap itself was deeper/taller, it'd screw down over the whole crack and probably seal just fine, but it's too shallow to do that.

I picked up a used 98 ACat 2-Up two years ago and didn't realize that the neck for the tank had a crack until I filled it and the vibration during the first ride caused fuel to splash all over my lap. Pretty frustrating.

I researched every possible option I could to repair it without success. Everyone I spoke with said that the gas would eventually eat away at any adhesive. The only thing that seemed plausible was to plastic weld the crack with heat, but that meant disassembly and removal of the tank. Since I would have to remove the tank anyway, I opted for replacing with a used tank that I found at a small ACat dealer near up north.

Good luck!

Thanks, guys. I'll probably repair it with one of the solvent-resistant epoxies/plastic welds (or heck, just the careful duct tape for this season), and keep my eyes open for a replacement gas tank.

As many Indy Trails as there are on the trails and in boneyards all over the northern U.S., no doubt I can put my hands on one eventually, and probably for pretty cheap. Considering I don't have $1 into its purchase, what's a few bucks? smile

Yup, like everyone has said, a replacement is required for the real fix. frown

Dealer price on a new cap with gauge is about $35. I didn't ask for the price of a new tank since you'll prolly find one used.

I'm going to look in a catalog tomorrow to see if there is a type of shrink tubing that can span that neck since I know you're gonna nurse it through this season anyhew. whistle

But you'd still have to drain it unless you feel REAL lucky. grin

I'm going to look in a catalog tomorrow to see if there is a type of shrink tubing that can span that neck

2 inch shrink tubing costs more than a used tank would.

J-B weld's J-B Qwick Kit claims to repair plastic and is petroleum resistant when fully cured, if you pland to go that route.

Just don't fill it all the way. That sled will run for a long time on 3/4 tank of fuel. I bungeed an extra 2 gallon tank to the back of mine last year and never came close to using it.

Good luck with it!