• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone still bow hunting???

musky796

Anyone still bow hunting? I have been out 4 times in the last week and a half and all I have seen was a yote. It was kinda cool I called him in from 80 yard to about 35 just by making some squeekin noises. I know there is deer in the area but I think they are laying low intil its dark. Does anyone try and rattling or grunts this time of year?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go out most nights....I've been seeing and passing on the same Doe's and fawns for over a month now. Was waiting and hoping that a decent buck would come in during the rut. I only seen one decent buck and that was after hours as I was getting ready to get down. Now that December is here I was/am planning on harvesting the anterless ones...and of course now they aren't coming in till after dark...figures. Oh well, I got a month left to take as many as I can. I'm in the metro zone...unlimited antlerless, hopefully I can make a dent in the local population...way, way too many around here.

Anybody else out there have an issue with the deer only moving at night this year? Even early in the bow season the deer where I have been hunting only seem to move at night. Frustrating. I see sign but no deer. The land of the invisible deer I guess.

I have filled a management tag with the bow this year and i have a chunk of land that gets real good with snow on the ground in an area with a bunch of mature deer. They are talking 6 inches tuesday night. Im pretty sure theres also going to be walkable ice to do some early ice walleye chasing next weekend. Could be a tough decision. If the doe wasnt tagged already it would be a much easier decision.

Went out this morning. Got to my stand about 630. Had two walk by when it was still dark about 40 yard. I could see them it was pretty bright out seeing the sun wasnt up. Im gonna give it another go tonight. Last night it was 3 degrees at 11pm. When i got up it had clouded over and the temp was up to 12.5. Its crazy what some cloud cover will do for the temps.

Got a nice doe last night, 138 lbs on my scale. They were definately moving late. Nice to be done, getting colder this week.

That's a dang nice doe! As big as many 2 1/2 year old bucks...

I've been playing every weekend since the bow opener so I'm on a break this weekend and next but plan to be out the 19th-20th.

The rifle trip put plenty of deer in the freezer but I have yet to score with the bow this year. frown

Decisions:

Pheasant/Deer hunt in Western MN?

Grouse/Ice fish in Ely?

Deer hunt around home?

Deer hunt SE MN?

Well, deer hunting looks probable. grin

Good luck out there!

I'm still at it but haven't been able to get out nearly as much as I'd like. Kicked up one in Sherburne Sat morning making a push to a buddy. It was bedded down before first light as I checked its bed and all the snow was already melted out of it. Lots of fresh sign but very limited daytime movement. I'll keep at it though, this batch of snow will help.

It's good to know that bow hunting has been tough for some other guys. I thought it was just me. I've been hunting the Cannon Falls area, and the corn where I hunt was just harvested last Friday. On Monday night, I saw a dozen deer moving quickly to the middle of a corn field, including a buck chasing a doe fairly hard. This was the first time I had seen deer move into the fields for several days before the end of legal shooting time. Once this snow stops, there should be a pretty good trail marking their movement. But it's going to be cold.

I get a week off of work over Xmas and I will be sitting out every chance I get. This is usually the best time of the year for me because we have about 4 or 5 acres of food plots for them and its usually the only thing around for them. My dad and brother said the deer numbers were really down this year over rifle and muzzy though out there so I might have to work a little harder for another one this year.

I was out this morning for a quick hour before work hunt. Not a living creature seen. I got to try out my wool bibs and snow camo for the first time though. I forgot my Arctic Shield booties though and my feet got a little cold.

We're headed up north tonight for one final go-round but expectations aren't very high. If we see any standing corn, we might stop and ask for permission on the way up. Hopefully an arrow gets released. I'll post results when we get back.

I will be out this weekend for sure! Been holding out for Mr Buck, but never having shot a deer with my bow, Mrs Doe might get a chance to become my first kill. Never know, but I hope I at least get a shot off at one.