• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Feedback

Scoot

I had significant problems with poachers/trespassers in my mo-in-law's little piece of woods this gun season. I posted up the land tighter than heck, but people (most of whom had never, ever asked for permission to hunt there) seemed to think the no hunting signs were simply for some sort of decoration. It's just a little piece of land, but got pounded by the orange army. They even drove out the woods while I was sitting in my treestand!

After I kicked out the big party that drove out the woods (they were 90% done when I saw them, so the damage was done), there were apparently a bunch of other poachers in there during the week when I wasn't around.

So... I'm going to make some signs with the information below. These signs will be up and in addition to the regular no hunting signs that are already in place. I will have them laminated- this will make the pretty inexpensive, but still weather proof.

Please give me feedback on these signs- should I say something nicer, more firm, or different than what is there? Suggestions appreciated.

Attention

This land is posted—NO TRESPASSING OR HUNTING. It doesn’t matter how many years you may have hunted here in the past, if you know Deb, or if you “don’t think she’ll mind”. Unless you have written permission to hunt here this year, please stay off this property.

Given how poorly conversations went with trespassers/poachers this gun season, I won’t bother talking with anyone-- If you are caught on this posted land without permission you will be greeted by the sheriff and game warden and you can talk with them.

Please note: this applies to every day of the week- I will be here often, but also have several people helping keep an eye out for poachers who seem to think that the no trespassing signs don’t apply to them or only apply on the weekend.

Scoot if they are already walking by your "posted" signs they'll walk by this too, probably won't even read it... Just use the regular signs and get the law enforcement involved. That's the only thing that will stop them is if they know you take it serious and will turn them in.

Agreed. They'd probably just shoot the signs down on their way out. Make sure all the neighboring landowners know of your intent and contact the local C.O.'s. You've got it posted well, not sure what else you can do. Bring a video camera and get them on film and press charges. No slap on the wrist.

Scoot,

At this point they will ruin another year for you next year before anything is done to them. Do you know who they are? Can you call the CO and have him give them a call? I geuss that is the route I would go. A call from the CO this year will most likely prevent them from doing it again next year. It also starts the relationship with the CO so he will be faster to act next fall when you call him. If nothing else you gave them plenty of heads up and they will have to face the consequences if they do it again. It is plenty stiff as well if they have been warned not to do it and still do.

I agree......regular signs are more than enough. If they aren't paying attention to them, they will more than likely just laugh at your second attempt. Use your energy and time to get the law involved. Only way to stop these kind of people and the only language they understand is the law kind. Perhaps a big hit to their pocketbook will help drive home the point.

I have a buddy that is in a similar situation. Neighbors have been continually hunting on his porperty. They even have to cross his fence line in order to get up in their stands! He has talked to them a couple of years in a row and they still ignore him. They have effectively cut off all of their party. My suggestion was to go and cut their stands down and use them for firewood since they won't listen to words.

Have your neighbors help watch, let them know that you would really appreciate it if they called the warden or sherriff on trespassers. Maybe even offere a reward if they call, maybe the reward could be some processed venison, adult beverages, etc....

I would let them know that there was a case of their favorite waiting every time they turned someone in and they got caught.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I know at some level you are all correct on this. However, it seems like the standard thinking out there is that everyone lets everyone hunt everywhere. Nobody asks for permission because it's just a given that they can hunt there. Maybe I'm totally naive, but I really think the majority of people who hunted there this year just assumed they could because they have in the past and that's how it's generally worked around there.

They were wrong and I want to change their thinking. But... I don't think most of the people who hunted her land are terrible people who will only respond to the law. I'm probably wrong and totally clueless, but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they ignore these signs, I'll call in the troops.

Scoot,

Sorry to hear about your problem, that really sucks.

In the past for me it usually got better after the first run in. If it doesn't then you will need to pull in a CO/sheriff to get the job done.

I still have a problem with a landowners just letting their dogs roam. I have a couple trail cam pics of the dogs. I'm going to wait and get a few more of the dogs and then present them to the landowner. I figure if I offer them proof and threaten to go to the sheriff/CO about it maybe they'll finally tie their dogs up.

Anyone else have problems with roaming dogs?

Yes, I've had trouble with a roaming dog. It hasn't been too bad I don't think, but I don't like it.

We've had trouble on relatives property that was more severe. A dog came up & growled at my Uncle when he was fixing fence, unlucky for the dog he was carrying his pistol. That dog won't growl at him again. The Deputy said he was fully within his right being he was threatened by the animal. He told the owner to keep other dogs home.

Scoot, I think the note is a very good idea. If you throw those up, there will be absolutely no excuse if they get caught on the land again. It gives them one more chance to do the right thing before getting in trouble with the law. I also like Trigger's idea of rewarding some of the neighbors for watching over the property, if possible. I think it is just fine the way you have it worded.

Scoot, unfortunetly that is the way alot of people hunt up there. It's mostly locals, and they don't have a problem with doing it at any time. My two brother in-laws used to hunt with a group that it was common practice to just hunt wherever then tehy quit hunting with them and started hunting with me once I got permission to hunt on some good land going through the proper channels.

Scoot-

I like the change of sign idea. #1. If the sign looks different than the normal POSTED sign it may catch their attention. #2. By adding the "whether you know Deb or not.... if you don't have written permission.." I think you put the thought in their head that even though they know her, they DON'T have permission unless they get it in writing. In my opinion, it completely eliminates the gray area and any "alleged" verbal understanding. I do think it may help, but catching them and calling the CO/Sheriff will be you best bet. We all wish it never had to come to that, but the IDEAL world is long gone! Good luck.

Scoot:

Had that problem alot back when my family had land in ND. The story of had permission, yeh fourteen years ago....

Post more signs and get help monitoring the activity if you can. No hunting signs requesting current written permission only.

More formidable critters in them thar woods I suppose could help. Meet Francis, Chester and Gus. You are welcome to print their pictures and laminate them for posting. They escaped from the Ada zoo! smile

Francis.jpg

Chester.jpg

Gus.jpg

Good luck,

WG