• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First attempt at a night shot.

Ever since they tore down the old school across the street, we can look out the window and see this Catholic church every night. It's practically my wife's 2nd home. smirk I've always thought it was kind of pretty and have considered shooting it for quite some time.

Birdsong took a photo of it quite some time ago, but had something supernatural happening in her shot. I don't recall exactly what it was, but it was eerie. I can't even find her post anymore. I think it mysteriously disappeared. I believe the full moon last night helped protect me. wink

This was actually kinda fun.

This was shot at ISO 400 - 3.2 sec. at f10. I used spot metering with plus 2/3 E.C.

4072550150_0f6d7c8f55_o.jpg

Seems to be a lot of those older beautiful churches down there. Reminds me of St. Adrian's in Adrian, MN. Great shot!

I was just in Adrian last week, and I would have to agree. There are also some really nice old homes along the main drag that are well kept, and would make good Christmas card photos with a little snow on the ground.

Try doing that same shot but change your WB to tungstun and see what you think! Just a different look you may like...or not.

After I took the shots, I was wishing I had shot them in Raw, so I could have played with the WB in PP. Some evening, when it's a bit warmer out, I'll do some more playing. I spent so much time making a couple signs, a fire hydrant and some orange construction cones "disappear". that I've had enough of church for awhile. wink

Thanks all, for the comments.

[quote name='X-tackleman I spent so much time making a couple signs' date=' a fire hydrant and some orange construction cones "disappear". that I've had enough of church for awhile. wink

[/quote']

I had signs appearing and yours disappear. Hmmmmm. Still something eerie going on. I have always wanted to go back during one of those wonderful post/dusk blue lights. Nice job.

Shooting RAW would not matter here. What I meant by color in the sky is that you shoot earlier, when there is some light left in the sky, dusk, sunset, twilight as Birdsong mentioned. Though I was able to pull some blue out of the sky in your shot. smile

I was just thinking that shooting in RAW might allow me a stop or 2 more latitude. Actually, due to the full moon, there was a hint of color in the sky, but I had to choose between the sky or the bright areas lit up by the lights. Is there any better settings I could have used to keep detail in the highlights and not burn the sky, other than shooting at a better time?

Yes RAW will give you a bit more latitude. But you could do either of these two. Take two shots, one for the sky and one for the subject. Combine the two in Elements and mask out either the sky or foreground.

Or just duplicate your background layer and change its blend mode to screen. Adjust your opacity of that layer to your taste.

Please don't get me wrong X, I like your shot. Just giving you some ideas you might want to try next time out smile

Please don't get me wrong X, I like your shot. Just giving you some ideas you might want to try next time out smile

As long as you don't critique my birds, you're cool. grin

Seriously, this is something totally new to me so I welcome your advice. Thanks. I do appreciate it.