• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunday Photowalk

Photo walks are really starting to hit. With some simple word of mouth advertising,I had 5 wonderful folks who drove up for a photo walk around one of our sections of woods,this is the 2nd one I've done in this spot. This particular tract is on a dead end road and has nice paths meadering all through it,the river,ponds,and a nice flat area to park. Mostly it was an instructional walkabout showing them how the features on their cameras worked and the effects of aperture,iso,and shutter speed,etc.

First time DSLR buyers are spreading like prarie fire around here,and they are eager to learn all the functions of their new cameras.

We watched some Waxwings feeding on berries,but they were awful wary and we all had short range lenses along for weight savings. All the folks got alot of keeper images that they said they never thought they could create.

One of the younger gals had a gifted eye for composition,after she learned the basics,she wowed all of us-she is hooked for life. I love seeing that. grin

We flushed a large Buck out of some cedars,and they all want to come back and get shots of him next weekend if possible. I'll post some pics of him in another forum.

I've got another 2 walks scheduled for this fall for some folks,and I've got 2 emails while typing this from 2 of todays group saying they have friends who want to come along next time,and another time when there is snow. Whew!

It's true what they say,"if you show up with a thermos of hot cocoa and a dozen doughnuts-it pays you back ten fold." Ok,maybe that's not a saying-but very true. smile

I got a few shots in while helping-nothing special,but shooting images is fun no matter what the subject!

All shot with:Canon EOS 50D,70-200 2.8L IS,430 EX

4066700312_333618af14_o.jpg

4065951649_63278cd3a3_o.jpg

Had to ramp up the EC fast when these guys flew over! [Heavy crop]

4066697784_095082b854_o.jpg

4066234755_fd648e30cc_o.jpg

Wow Steve - you get better and better. These shots are outstanding! How did you get the leaf in the 2nd photo to appear to have sunlight on only that leaf? Looks awesome!

Eric, these are MarinerMagnum's photos, not mine. But I'm sure he appreciates the praise. gringrin

There is definately some color/light magic going on in the second image, I'm not even that interested in the subject matter and still find myself captivated by the photographic effect you achieved. That image has a strong presence. I also enjoy the bg color in the first image.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Shawn,I tried to compose that leaf several different ways,but there was an errant stream of sunlight hitting it that caught my eye. I am shooting strictly Jpegs now,and my post processing skills are very limited so I sometimes have to try a few different exposures to get something I like-as long as it's a static subject!

I love shooting birds but I was getting relentless in pursuing them. It really helped to get out and just find anything that stood out and try to compose it in a way to make it interesting. Getting your creative juice flowing can jump start the passion all over again-for me anyway. smile

I love shooting birds but I was getting relentless in pursuing them. It really helped to get out and just find anything that stood out and try to compose it in a way to make it interesting. Getting your creative juice flowing can jump start the passion all over again-for me anyway. smile

Amen! I think there is a lot of wisdom in that statement.