• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Photo Gallery

Driftless

Went winter trout fishing for the first time yesterday at Swiss Valley near Dubuque, IA.

Sunny and in the low 40s- lots of snow has melted in the past week but water is still low and very clear. I heard they last stocked here right before X-mas.

Anyway, caught a keeper on first cast! Still had to work pretty hard to catch 4 more, but what a blast! Open water creek fishing in Feb. with no gloves- who can complain!

I only kept one (pictured). Will be going out again on Monday to fish the upper stretch- forecast is 47 degrees and sunny.

My great uncle fished this same stream in the '50s and '60s so this was especially fun for me to fish here for the first time.

0204121553.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

went out in Dubuque again late this afternoon- not nearly as nice weather as Sat. (it was 10 degrees warmer in the Twin Cites on Monday than it was here!)

tried a little $1 spinner and C&Red 3 nice rainbows- the spinner is a lot more fun than that dumb bluegill jig I was using Sat.

found a really neat hole next to a downed tree that is holding about 1/2 dozen decent fish- something to look forward too for next time!

Here are a couple from today.. thank god the fishing was great.. when i got back to my car.. it wouldn't start.. ignition needs to be replaced... so i called someone came and got me and brought me back to town.. going back out tomorrow to tow the car back home so i can play mechanic.... sad thing is im going to one of my favorite streams again tomorrow.. on my day off.. not to fish.. but to pick up my car mad

P1060041.JPG

P1060047.JPG

P1060049.JPG

P1060052.JPG

You had better luck than me. The first half mile or so of stream that I fished today I stuck to streamer patterns. I hooked a brute right off the bat, but lost him after a terrible hookset. Seems to be the going trend this week for me.... Anyways, I took 2 browns to hand on olive buggers, and than switched up to dries. I ran into the best midge hatch I've seen all year. Ended up with 5 or 6 more on some Grifs Gnats.

Pshhh,I don't want to hear about it! j/k. I just retied the half dozen flies that I lost today. I swear... I'm never casting into another sunken tree again! 4 flies to one sunken tree in the middle of a sweet run. I just didn't learn.