• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN Deer Hunting Licenses

haverhunting

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the option on not having to buy tags I might not need. I could very easily be done by ML and I won't need to buy a license. It will save me money. I might have been different if we were still in an intensive zone, but in managed. Its not as needed.

So just to clarify. A person can only use two bonus tags in managed areas total? So I could shoot a buck in lottery with my firearm, then go to a managed area like 342 and shoot a doe and tag it with my management tag. But, I have not reached my 5 deer limit or my limit for the the managed area. Can I buy another management tag and shoot another doe in 342 with the firearm, or can I move to another area like 343 and shoot another doe with the firearm? Or am I done with the firearm season after I shoot two deer with the firearm? I guess I am still a little confused.

So just to clarify. A person can only use two bonus tags in managed areas total? So I could shoot a buck in lottery with my firearm, then go to a managed area like 342 and shoot a doe and tag it with my management tag. But, I have not reached my 5 deer limit or my limit for the the managed area. Can I buy another management tag and shoot another doe in 342 with the firearm, or can I move to another area like 343 and shoot another doe with the firearm? Or am I done with the firearm season after I shoot two deer with the firearm? I guess I am still a little confused.

You beat me to posting I WAS WRONG Holy cow, was I wrong. I thought the rule was re-written (by me) to allow 2 BP in managed areas. It wasn't, so you can't do it. I swear I'll fix it next and I apologize up and down for posting incorrect information (Moderator - shoud I delete the other posts?). Again, I'm really, really sorry but it's one of those things that I swore I had done, went back and checked, and go figure I hadn't. Yikes!

You can still mix and match licenses + the bonus permit to kill 2 deer. Examples:

1 Firearm + 1 BP

1 Arch + 1 Firearm

1 Firearm + 1 Muzz

1 Muzz + 1 BP, etc ...

Okay, let the harassment begin!

So I guess there are two questions.

#1, can we use 2 Bonus permits in a managed area.

For example, can I shoot a buck in the lottery area with my firearm, then go to a managed and shoot two does with a firearm.

#2. Can we continue to use BP during the firearm season to reach our 5 deer bag limit if move to different areas allowing BPs? (I'm assuming the answer to this is no)

For example. Can I shoot a buck and doe with Fiream in Managed area 342, Then got to another, different managed area, buy two bonus tags, and shoot two more deer, then head to another differnet area, for my 5th and final deer. I know that this is only hypothetical. But it might be good to know.

Sorry for getting you mested up. Will you get this corrected for this years rifle season so we will be aloud to use one BP in one managment area and another BP in different management area this will make two deer taged in management areas so we can use our parent license in a lottery or intensive area??

i asked the mn dnr the same question. my story is i hunt in a lottery area and i also hunt in the area across the highway which is a management area. the dnr's reply to my question was yes i can shoot either or in the management area and a buck only in my lottery area, but he said you need to register that doe from the management area at the nearest station because where i camp is lottery. this might be confusing because there is no law that states when you need to register your deer it only needs the site tag on it to transport. what it comes down to is, you buy a buck tag and you can hunt anywhere in the state, but you have to abide by the areas special regs. it would nice if the dnr could make the regs so a guy can understand them...good luck.

Yes we understand that you can tag a buck in a lottery area and also tag a doe with a BP in a management area. The question is can you use another BP in a different management area to fill you two deer limit in management areas. Or are you restricted to only one BP in all management areas. The book reads you can use a BP in a management area along with you original tag to meet your two deer limit. But if you use your original tag in lottery or intensive area are you alloud to use two BP tags in management area or areas to fill your two deer limit. This would be useing any combination of valid tags to meet your quota.

i agree with ntrider, the area determines what you can shoot. i can fill my buck in a lottery area with a buck then go and buy management or intensive harvest tag and shoot does aslong as im hunting in a area that is intensive harvest or management area.

all i know is it is a good thing i logged on to this thread because in the past i think you could used bp's all day long as long as you dont shoot more deer than you are suppose to and hang onto your either sex tag if needed...if i wouldnt of seen this thread i woulda had 2 bp's in a management and then used my either sex in a lottery(buck only) or intensive...

I am still confused and need some clarification for the following example.

Can you:

• Shoot a buck in a lottery zone with your firearms license
  • Shoot a doe with your archery license in a management zone
  • Shoot a doe with using a BP (archery or firearms) in a management zone.

Basically, it use to be that in a few NW counties you could shoot a deer with an archery license and a deer with a firearm license, only one being a buck. At some point it was changed to state wide, but it was specifically stated in the rules. This year it is not specifically stated for state wide or the northwest counties,(I lost track of it when I was buying an all season tag) and with what is stated now it does not appear to be legal except in 3A.

Lottery deer areas: The bag limit is one deer total per year, regardless of license type. Bonus permits are not valid in lottery deer areas.

Youth-only antlerless deer areas: The bag limit is one buck, regardless

of license type. If you take a buck in one of these areas, you cannot

take a deer in a different youth-only or lottery deer area. Bonus permits

are not valid in these areas.

NEW 3A REGULATIONS FOR 2009 ONLY

Note: Antlerless deer taken during the archery season do not count

towards the second weekend antlerless deer.

Additional questions – was the deer by archer and deer by firearms a DNR rule change or a Legislative law change? If it was a legislative change could it still be in affect?

I would like to see this and similar examples responded to on the FAQ on the DNR site asap.

The rules are more confusing this year, only because of the ongoing change. Just as soon as we start getting use to the rules, the rules get changed to allow more flexibility in the management of the deer herd.

i would say that you are ok with your scenario...the way it is stated is that if you take 5 does in intensive or 2 does in management that you cannot use all bp's and that you need to burn your either sex tag for one of the does...so in your scenario it would work because you are not using 2 bp's in management...one will be your either sex tag with your bow...

B-wanna, in your situation you are OK. The question is basically weather more than one BP can be used in one Management area, and/or if more than one BP can be used in multiple management areas for one zone, like firearm.

Because you are using multiple methods in multiple zones (archery and firearm) you are OK as long as you stay under the state bag limit, and area bag limit 1 (lottery) and 2 (managed)

Read page 71 in the regulation booklet. Lets you no that you need a regular license and a BP to harvest your two deer in management areas. So a person can use a regular rifle tag in a lottery area one BP in management area then use a regular muzzleloader tag in management area. This is how you can tag three deer between lottery and management araes.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

And as far as I can tell now, shooting a lotto buck and 2 management does is a NO NO this year but will be ok next year when Lou updates the regs. Is this correct?

Yes, keep pointing out my stupidity okay smile You can still take 2 does in managed areas but you have to use a license (archery or muzz) and a bonus permit.

Read page 71 in the regulation booklet. Lets you no that you need a regular license and a BP to harvest your two deer in management areas. So a person can use a regular rifle tag in a lottery area one BP in management area then use a regular muzzleloader tag in management area. This is how you can tag three deer between lottery and management araes.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

You are exactly correct.