• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN Deer Hunting Licenses

haverhunting

Funny, I thought I had it figured out, then I read this, and thought I didn't have it figured out. Now I'm back to what I originally thought. I guess I still have it figured out. If you can follow what I am saying. smile. Thanks Lou

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, now I'm confused and want to know if I am legal...

I can shoot 1 deer with my archery tag in a lottery area, and

I can shoot 1 deer with my rifle in the same area.....for 2 deer but....

the archery tag can be either sex.....the rifle tag must be buck only unless I get an antlerless permit in the lottery.....RIGHT?

Please Lou, tell me I'm right.....

Hate to dissapoint you but NO you are not right. You are hunting in a lottery area, you can only shoot 1 deer period in a lottery area no matter what. If you do not shoot one with your bow before rifle season, then during rifle season you rifle tag is only good for a buck unless you got drawn for a doe permit.

Crawler Harness you are absolutely correct, I talked to my local conservation about this last week. He told me since I took my doe with a bow in a lottery area that my deer season is done, I cannot fill another tag, bow-rifle-or muzzleloader. On the flipside I asked him if I could still party hunt and he said as long as I have a legal license for the season me and my party are hunting, I can still party hunt, I just am not able to tag the deer myself.

vitalshot - As far as I understood it and in my talkings with the DNR over the phone your season is not technically done. Your season is done in ALL Lottery zones. You can should still be able to purchase a bonus tag and hunt in Management zones or intensive harvest zones for anterless deer without having to be in a party. This is how I understood it. It's just a matter of hunting different zones. Also remember deer you take in lower quantity zones count in your total for a higher quantity zone = Take 1 in a lottery zone means you can only take 1 more from a managed zone, not 2 more from a managed zone. I understand it best from this example:

Take 1 deer from my lottery zone - total bagged = 1 (buck only unless got an antlerless permit in the lottery then it's an either sex tag)

Get 1 bonus tag - take 1 antlerless deer from managed deer area - total bagged = 2

Get 3 more bonus tags - take 3 more antlerless deer from intensive harvest zone - total bagged = 5

This would be completely legal and make you either a much better hunter than I am or much more dedicated, I'm hoping to just get my 1 in my lottery zone wink The info I used is on page 62 of the regulations manual and from my call to the DNR to clarify as I hunt both lottery and managed zones.

Also last thing the numbers are for all seasons (archery, rifle muzzle loader). No matter your tool of choice you get those totals for all combined seasons you hunt.

...Also remember deer you take in lower quantity zones count in your total for a higher quantity zone = Take 1 in a lottery zone means you can only take 1 more from a managed zone, not 2 more from a managed zone....

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one from lottery counts toward your state wide limit of 5, but does not count against your managed limit of 2.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...t_s#Post2365093 Everyone, please look at this for the limits.

I'm not sure I deserved capital letters and 31 exclamation points wink

From the other thread it appears I'm wrong and I believe you are correct, however if you read the regulations per usual it's worded to be confusing.

The regulations only refer to bag limits being 1 for lottery, 2 for intensive and 5 for managed. It makes it a bit confusing as you can hunt all 3 types of zones and max out at the intensive harvest max of 5 but somehow hunt lottery and managed and get 3?

Here is how I logically thought it out was simply in purchasing tags. I bought a lottery tag and if I shoot 1 deer I have to use my main tag. I can then buy a bonus tag but can't use it in my lottery zone. Logically I figured if I can only use 1 bonus tag for a managed area (this is where I think I'm wrong) as 2 deer would be my normal tag and 1 bonus tag but I'll have already used my main tag and so on to intensive harvest... again this was my thinking and logic and it's probably incorrect.

Just doesn't make sense how the bag limit for lottery is 1, bag limit for managed is 2 and bag limit for intensive is 5. Lottery and managed are similar to fishing's possession limit but managed is not and that's where I get confused I think, I related to fishing possession limits and thus though once I "possess" 2 deer I can no longer hunt a managed zone.

I'll call my CO once I shoot the first one to clarify wink

I asked about that too and was told since my bow tag was used to take a doe, I cannot use a management tag, You must use a management doe tag BEFORE your primary license or you forfeit any management tags, My CO says I CANNOT take a management deer since my primary tag is already used.

Quote:
I asked about that too and was told since my bow tag was used to take a doe, I cannot use a management tag, You must use a management doe tag BEFORE your primary license or you forfeit any management tags, My CO says I CANNOT take a management deer since my primary tag is already used.

WHAT??????

You need to call the DNR, that is not right... It sounds like the CO thinks he is in an earn-a-buck zone. I have never heard that before. The only thing you should be done doing is taking a deer in lottery areas, and because you used your either-sex archery tag, you can no longer shoot a buck with your BOW. Aside from that, I think you are still just fine to continue hunting with your bow in managed and intensive areas. What good are bonus tags if you can't use them? Lou, are you getting any of this? I have never read anything in the regs about this.

...you cannot fill your main tag than go get management permits, the management permits must be used first or your done....

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(this is getting fun grin )

Please e-mail the dnr info office with your specific question and copy and paste the question and answer you get here. Sometimes things get confused when talking. Writing is usually more clear.

[email protected]

edit: page 62 of the 2010 regs state "Regular license and antlerless tags may be used in any order."

Vitalshot, I do not believe you are done. You need to contact the DNR directly, email them, you should get a response in a day, that way, you will also have their response in writing if you talk to the CO again.

I am more concerned that CO told you that you were done. Obviously, this CO either doesn't understand the regs, didn't understand the question, or you didn't understand the answer clearly. Either way, there is a miscommunication or misunderstanding somewhere.