• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Please Help - Honda Rubicon vs. Yamaha Griz 550

UNDBowhunter

I am looking at getting a new atv this week.....I've narrowed my choices to '09 Honda Rubicon and a '09 Yamaha Griz 550 w/ Power Steering.

I plan to plow snow, food plot prep work, some trail riding, hunting, ice fishing, etc.....

Any advice, reviews, or comments are much appreciated!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with either. I have an 2009 Honda Rancher AT with EFI and PS. Its been bullet proof so far. I was torn between the Honda and the Yamaha. I also considered the Polaris 500 for a little while. I was scared off by stories from close friends who had recurring problems with their Polaris ATV's. I just thought the other two were both better options.

I also know people who wouldn't own anything other than a Polaris Sportman. Chevy-Ford thing.

I picked up a Grizz 550 (no Power steering) in the spring with the same intent as you. Plow snow, drag fish house, etc. I don't expect to have any difficulties doing any of them. I have also had a couple Hondas with absolutely no problems.

UND, personally I would ride each model before you purchase. In all honesty, nothing against other models but once you sit on a polaris and ride it, you will never want to ride another model. I have had honda's, my buddy actually has a new rubicon and he rode my polaris and he's talking about selling his honda and buying a polaris. His honda is so uncomfortable and has very minimal clearance, under powered. Just ride a polaris first, then make your decision. No more problems with polaris's then any other brand out there, you may hear of problems but there are more polaris's out there then any other brand. Good Luck and I am sure you will like whatever you decide on.

I'd get the Yamaha without any hesitation. It will do it all and come back for more. Yamaha's have tough, reliable products. They make snowmobiles,generators,dirt bikes,street bikes, and outboard motors, and they make 'em good!

The 550 griz is one sweet machine . Three things you should factor in to help in your decision . The griz has a hi/low range ,a starter recoil for backup and a true 4 wheel drive system with differential lock which the hondas do not .And with EPS . wow .

TD

The honda has high low range and a recoil back up, no lockin diff but you don't need it, i've got a rubicon and i can outride pretty much anyone, on a utility quad, i'll prolly get a rincon eventually, but i can keep up with rincon's also, the big thing with a honda if you really ride is they are balanced well they have a low center of gravity and they'll make a poor rider look good, the rubicon does not excell at anyone thing but does good in most area's

The honda has high low range and a recoil back up, no lockin diff but you don't need it, i've got a rubicon and i can outride pretty much anyone, on a utility quad, i'll prolly get a rincon eventually, but i can keep up with rincon's also, the big thing with a honda if you really ride is they are balanced well they have a low center of gravity and they'll make a poor rider look good, the rubicon does not excell at anyone thing but does good in most area's

Personaly I was going to buy a rincon just because on the Honda name. I went to a dealer demo day and rode bith a new 660 Grizzly and a used year old Rincon with 150 miles on it. Let me tell you a 660 Grizzly made that Rincon look silly! I hate that hondamatic transmission, it always seems to be in the wrong gear. Weather to high or low its never seems right. Anouther thing about a Rincon is no low range or front locker. I ride alot of mud and have seen many times where a honda is stuck in the mud with one tire up on hard ground not spinning. Hondas have there place but its not in my garage!

I would go for the 550 Girzzly anyday before a Honda.

Neither.........go with polaris. Honda's are very uncomfortable but very dependable, low ground clearance though. Yamaha's have had some mechanical issues.

I will go along with the ground clearance comment but the rest

LOL whatever.

I have a rubicon and like it. Honda's are very dependable, rarely a problem.(I've had a polaris and my friends and relatives have polaris, they do have more problems than most)

BUT, if you're going to trail ride, I would go with the polaris, they do have the best ride. If you're going to fish, hunt, and work with it, buy a Honda. Not much exp. with yamaha, although I did hear they dont like to start when really cold.

I would go with anything but a honda. I have an 04 rubicon, and I like my 94 sportsman much better. Have they fixed the angle drive sensor/hondamatic transmission problem yet? That can be a spendy fix. Check that out before buying a honda rubicon.

I would go with anything but a honda. I have an 04 rubicon, and I like my 94 sportsman much better. Have they fixed the angle drive sensor/hondamatic transmission problem yet? That can be a spendy fix. Check that out before buying a honda rubicon.

What problem is that??? Can you explain, never heard of it.

Well if the new Hondas have a recoil it must be well hidden because I have not seen one on the ones I have looked at of late and you must be kidding me that a front locker is not needed . Why would anybody go with a 3 wheel drive when you can have it plus true 4wd using a locker is beyond me ?.

I'm not trashing Hondas but there is a reason I did not buy one .Thats like comparing the 3 wheel drive Honda to just a 2 wd and claiming the 2wd is all that is needed .That claim doesnt make sense in my books .

I'm also sure many folks who drive all brands of machines may suffer from hard starting issues in the winter just like they do with augers etc but I'm not one of them . Everything I run has to fire up without issue to -40 below and run all day .It's called preventive maintenance .

Too much of this gear of ours sits around too long and then when asked to fire and run, doesn't . To me it's like a weightlifter . If his body sits too long doing nothing the muscle softens .

I'm not risking my life for the price of a sparkplug ,fuel or a battery .

As far as Polaris, some luv them and others luv to hate them .LOL I don't like their idea of a locker and some other things because it does not suit what I need to trust in a machine to do and where .That doesn't mean they are junk but I don't rate them as the best either for my personal needs .

TD

There is a known defect in the honda. The digital display blinks, it does not go into reverse, and it only has one geare forward. If you google it you will find out more about it. There is a code system, the digital display will blink in certain patterns, and that will giv e you your fault. If it is the angle drive sensor, that is only a couple hundred bucks, but if it is the hondamatic transmission, that can be real spendy. I am not totally up on this, like I said earlier, googe it and there are some real knowledgable people out there. Hope this helps!

You'll never own a better machine then a polaris, untill you get one, you are below and behind the rest of the pack!

Until you are constantly getting towed back by a different brand. It amazed me how many people are die hard polaris in MN. I ride A LOT and they are always breaking.